The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

. Continuously searching for that is why we're appoint unproven chancers like Sherwood. What we need is experience and proven ability to make a team play well relatively consistently. If it means we're boring for a season or two then so be it. I'd much rathe rbe borign and safe to give us somewhere to build from than attractive and relegated. 

In fairness, whilst I like the rest of your post, it has only been Lambert and Sherwood that have fit this bill. Unless we count McLeish as up and coming.

Houllier had a longer term strategy for sure, but that was at a different time and a different club.

I agree. I'm not saying we've always done that. I'm saying that our position now dictates, imo, that we should be looking for a safe pair of hands rather than an unproven manager who MIGHT turn out to be the next Mourinho and win us the league, but will more than likely be the next ole Gunnar Solksjaer and do the square root of **** all.

McLeish wasn't up and coming. but he was (and is) a terrible manager. Not hiring an up and coming manager doesn't mean we should hire just anyone who has experience. I'd still like it to be somebody good [emoji3]

We agree completely then.

Give me Big Sam, 3 years of whinging about the style of play, survival and then a 12th and 10th placed finish and then we can hound him out. It's the circle of life, as miserable a life as it may sound to some it's preferable to death. At which point, "we go again".

Much rather see Villa relegated. 

I assume you have no experience of relegation. Some of us have. You really do not want that experience.

OK, big boy -- explain the horrors. Can't wait to hear this!

Your attitude does not deserve a response.

. Continuously searching for that is why we're appoint unproven chancers like Sherwood. What we need is experience and proven ability to make a team play well relatively consistently. If it means we're boring for a season or two then so be it. I'd much rathe rbe borign and safe to give us somewhere to build from than attractive and relegated. 

In fairness, whilst I like the rest of your post, it has only been Lambert and Sherwood that have fit this bill. Unless we count McLeish as up and coming.

Houllier had a longer term strategy for sure, but that was at a different time and a different club.

I agree. I'm not saying we've always done that. I'm saying that our position now dictates, imo, that we should be looking for a safe pair of hands rather than an unproven manager who MIGHT turn out to be the next Mourinho and win us the league, but will more than likely be the next ole Gunnar Solksjaer and do the square root of **** all.

McLeish wasn't up and coming. but he was (and is) a terrible manager. Not hiring an up and coming manager doesn't mean we should hire just anyone who has experience. I'd still like it to be somebody good [emoji3]

Give me Big Sam, 3 years of whinging about the style of play, survival and then a 12th and 10th placed finish and then we can hound him out. It's the circle of life, as miserable a life as it may sound to some it's preferable to death. At which point, "we go again".

I assume you have no experience of relegation. Some of us have. You really do not want that experience.

OK, big boy -- explain the horrors. Can't wait to hear this!

Your attitude does not deserve a response.

Sorry, but somehow I've obviously offended you. My sincere apologies. I hope that you understand I was speaking about relegation from a fan's perspective only, about a game meant for entertainment purposes only.

Edited by Plastic Man

'ok big boy' 

'can't wait to hear this'

Don't be surprised that people are pissed off with that patronising shite.

You know, I think I just reacted badly to this ...

I assume you have no experience of relegation. Some of us have. 

I apologized. I meant my apology. That's as far as it goes with me, Stefan. If he wants to remain pissed off at me, I accept that. 

No you wouldn't. It what world would you? Never understood a fan who thinks relegation is a good thing.

• Like 4

Yeah I remember the last relegation, I was 11 years old when that happened and it was horrible. Luckliy Graham Taylor came in and got us straight back, we still meant something back then so could lure the man required for the job to us. These days it is a different playing field, and lots of teams that have gone down in recent seasons have not come back. The financial implications of going down would pretty much put us back many years.

Lerner and Co need to go, we need someone in charge who knows what they are doing and how to appoint a good manager. I now make that 4 bad choices on the trot now. As we are stuck with Lerner and Co for the foreseeable future we are going to have to take our chances and roll the dice again and hope this time it is 5th time lucky.

• Like 1

I know that there are still those out there that feel Sherwood should be given more time - I'm curious as to what results over the next few games would convert them to the Sherwood Out camp?  We have Chelsea, Swansea, Spurs, MC and Everton coming up. In the best of all possible world i can see 3 points from that run of games but in all honesty I doubt we will get any. Would 7 points from 13 games, for example be enough to continue to persevere in your opinion?

Wins are the only thing that will save him.....He needs wins.

If he doesn't get that shortly he will be gone..... we all want to see a win , but I guess a draw COULD be deemed as a sign of a turn.

Edited by TRO

Wins or bust i'm afraid

We have gone beyond the point where draws would be acceptable maybe if we had some more points on the board he could afford to take draws but we simply can't based on our current predicament

Time for Sherwood to prove he's not all mouth and turn this team into "winners"

Edited by AshVilla

how embarrassing reading the last few posts....once you've finished your virtual catfight come and join us talking about the thing Tha united us all.

Tim is the problem imo. We have a good squad. Far better on paper than Norwich, Bournemouth etc.

I watched ireland last night beat the world champions. Half their team wouldn't get in at villa. The difference is that team would have died for each other to get a result last night. You could see what it meant to all of them.

Tim quite clearly just does not know how to inspire of tall them anymore. Its so sad to see. Change is needed now.

• Like 3

The disease is Lerner, relegation won't rid us of him.

Exaxtly. If he can't sell us now, he certainly won't be able to sell us in the championship.

I see a lot of people reference Newcastle and think that relegation is in some way a fresh start.

2 points on that, 

1) Relegation did not rid them of Ashley.

2) For every team that come straight back, there are 2/3 that don't.

There is absolutely no scenario in which relegation is a good thing. Imo.

Edited by av1

The sooner we stop the expectation that the next manager should be someone to lead us for decades, the better.

We need to take much smaller steps and look shorter term with appointments. 

The short term goal of this club should be to re-establish ourselves as a premier league team. Not a shit team scrambling around to survive every year. 
If a foreign coach fits the spec of a manager who can do that then obviously I'm fine with it.

But we're not in a position to be gambling on the next big thing from the continent, imo. It's all well and good saying we want "attractive" or "progressive" football, but I couldn't give a shit what we look like when we play. At this stage I want results that keep us in the league.

We don't NEED the next big thing. Continuously searching for that is why we're appoint unproven chancers like Sherwood. What we need is experience and proven ability to make a team play well relatively consistently. If it means we're boring for a season or two then so be it. I'd much rathe rbe borign and safe to give us somewhere to build from than attractive and relegated.

I can see the point, but totally disagree. In any field of work you need stability at the top and a manager with a short term vision could do much worse long-term damage. It undermines his authority and the respect and trust of the players when they know they have someone like that managing them and this should never be underestimaed with things like 'football is different', etc. You can buy players with short term vision, but you can never hire a manager like that. It's a recipe for distaster. 

Relegation wouldn't be any kind of solution it would only make matters worse, we could easily end up like Leeds.

Anyone in any shape or form thinking it would be a good thing or would be preferable to x,y or z manager is in for nasty surprise if it actually happens.

we need to stay in the league and to do that we need to change manager, or get a manager because currently we have an ego in a body warmer.

Thats the thing, Tim has shown over the last couple of months that he isn't just a poor Manager, more that he simply doesn't have required skill set to manage any body of men, let alone professional football players. 

To that end I wouldn't turn my nose up to anyone that has good management experience. At the moment, staying in the league is far more important than 'style of play'. For the last 5 yrs our "style of play" has simply been a losing one.

Relegation wouldn't be any kind of solution it would only make matters worse, we could easily end up like Leeds.

Anyone in any shape or form thinking it would be a good thing or would be preferable to x,y or z manager is in for nasty surprise if it actually happens.

we need to stay in the league and to do that we need to change manager, or get a manager because currently we have an ego in a body warmer.

Agreed, for every side that goes down, comes back up and does 'well' there's at least another side out there who are rendered permanently '****' from being relegated. Relegation is the very worst possible outcome for us by a country mile.

The sooner we stop the expectation that the next manager should be someone to lead us for decades, the better.

We need to take much smaller steps and look shorter term with appointments. 

The short term goal of this club should be to re-establish ourselves as a premier league team. Not a shit team scrambling around to survive every year. 
If a foreign coach fits the spec of a manager who can do that then obviously I'm fine with it.

But we're not in a position to be gambling on the next big thing from the continent, imo. It's all well and good saying we want "attractive" or "progressive" football, but I couldn't give a shit what we look like when we play. At this stage I want results that keep us in the league.

We don't NEED the next big thing. Continuously searching for that is why we're appoint unproven chancers like Sherwood. What we need is experience and proven ability to make a team play well relatively consistently. If it means we're boring for a season or two then so be it. I'd much rathe rbe borign and safe to give us somewhere to build from than attractive and relegated.

I can see the point, but totally disagree. In any field of work you need stability at the top and a manager with a short term vision could do much worse long-term damage. It undermines his authority and the respect and trust of the players when they know they have someone like that managing them and this should never be underestimaed with things like 'football is different', etc. You can buy players with short term vision, but you can never hire a manager like that. It's a recipe for distaster. 

Various teams have proved your opinion wrong.

One of the biggest mistakes football teams make, imo, is holding onto managers for too long. We did it ourselves with MON. Imagine if we'd sacked MON After that first ro second 6th place finish and gone with somebody who could break through the ceiling that MON had hit?
Stoke did it with Pulis. You could argue Everton did it with Moyes.

Much like a good manager will realise before everybody else when it's right to sell a player, even if that player is still performing well, a good chairman or CEO should realise before everybody else when the manager has hit his ceiling.

Sam Allardyce's ceiling is mid table. But that ceiling is way way above where we are now. If we employed him for 2 seasons to get us to that ceiling and then moved for somebody else, it would be great business by us, imo. Much like Southampton did with Adkins.

If we're constantly searching for a manager who doesn't have a ceiling then we'll be searching forever. Any proven managers with that ability are beyond our reach and wouldn't come here. That means we have to go for unproven managers. Whilst the possibility exists that one of those managers will be the next Jose Mourinho, it's a slim chance. More than likely we end up with another Tim Sherwood. A manager who is learning their trade at a club who is teetering on relegation.

That is FAR more risky than appointing a proven manager on a relatively short term basis. You can have stability at the top with intelligent, short term, appointments (and I'm talking 2 or 3 seasons at a time here, nothing crazy like 3 managers a year :) ). Swansea is a great example.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

Proven mid-table ceiling manager with Villa in his past.

Alan Curbishley anyone?

EDIT : The scariest thing as I was typing that is that it actually wasn't even 100% a joke either.

Edited by BOF

Â