The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

He is a dead man walking, or should that be limping.

He won't be here at Christmas or even remotely close, its just a question of when rather than if he goes.

Is that your own opinion Trent or do you know something that the rest of us don't? ;)

It's not overestimating Aston Villa's capabilities to expect to not be bottom of the table in October (which we will be)

I just cant agree with this given how crap we have been in recent years, finishes of 16th, 15th, 15th and 17th in the last 4 years would not exactly suggest we are capable of much more. We haven't even made 40 points in 3 of those seasons. This summer saw us lose 3 very good players, who were probably our best players at the end of last season. Villa have just been really lucky with how crap other teams have been in recent years, our luck might be about to run out this season.

**** me. You don't think it's reasonable to expect NOT to be bottom of the table?

Why even bother having a manager then? Or a team? May as well just play the youth team and save everybody's wages.

No, we only spent £55m on a large number of players in the summer, we needed to spend twice that amount to get anywhere near the realms of safety in mid table

Absolute twoddle. Only 2 clubs spent £110m this season, and they'll be in the top 2 this year.

'We needed to spend 110m to get anywhere near mid table'

Possibly the most bonkers comment I've EVER read on VT.

Really? we bought in 12 players for £55m, that about £4.6m on average per signing. you don't get quality for that kind of money, we neeeded to spend at least twice that amount for bringing in 12 players. are you comparing us to to Man City and Man Utd who are spending £35m on individuals? I think you missed my point !

It's not overestimating Aston Villa's capabilities to expect to not be bottom of the table in October (which we will be)

I just cant agree with this given how crap we have been in recent years, finishes of 16th, 15th, 15th and 17th in the last 4 years would not exactly suggest we are capable of much more. We haven't even made 40 points in 3 of those seasons. This summer saw us lose 3 very good players, who were probably our best players at the end of last season. Villa have just been really lucky with how crap other teams have been in recent years, our luck might be about to run out this season.

**** me. You don't think it's reasonable to expect NOT to be bottom of the table?

Why even bother having a manager then? Or a team? May as well just play the youth team and save everybody's wages.

No, we only spent £55m on a large number of players in the summer, we needed to spend twice that amount to get anywhere near the realms of safety in mid table

giphy.gif

If your bringing in 12 players you need to spending more than £55m or you end up with shit

I understand the spend element but he knew the constraints before he signed up surely. My biggest concern is what he's doing on the sideline and how he's organising his team. A player can only get better if you play him, Ayew played very well against Birmingham, the next game you'd think give him some game time but nope not a single minute. I was in the give him a chance camp however just look at that line up and tactics on Saturday and you'll realise this guy hasn't got a clue what he's doing.

giphy.gif

If your bringing in 12 players you need to spending more than £55m or you end up with shit

12 players was Sherwood's choice.

If he'd spent 15m on one striker instead of Gestede and Ayew would we be worse off, as an example?

I don't think last year's squad needed 12 players added to it to avoid relegation.

giphy.gif

12 players was Sherwood's choice.

If he'd spent 15m on one striker instead of Gestede and Ayew would we be worse off, as an example?

I don't think last year's squad needed 12 players added to it to avoid relegation.

Yeah true, 9 people did leave though. I just think 12 people in is too many with a budget of £55m, I don't think you can get enough quality in. Maybe he should have spent £55m on just replacing Given,Vlaar,Cleverley,Delph and Benteke??

This 12 players is a bit of a false narrative as well. You divide the spend by the amount of players and you get an average cost, but it doesn't work.

Richards was free and has been our best player this season.

Ayew was significantly more than the average spend per player and has been one of our worse signings so far.

Crespo was 500k and wasn't bought in to be first choice.

Still can't get over somebody saying we needed to spend 110m to get anywhere near mid table and sticking to their opinion. That's brilliant.

If we'd have spent the 9m on Ayew and 6m on Gestede on Austin, we'd be far better off now. And the amount spent per player would only be a tiny bit less.

All in all, your argument doesn't work KHV. Sorry.

• Like 3

It is definitely less than the sum of its parts.  The question is how much of the deficit is down to normal player acclimatisation and how much is down to the manager.  In other words you have to wonder how further forward this side would be under a more systematic and less scatter-gunned manager.  I feel the question is moot though.  The only thing that matters now is bringing in a systematic manager and righting this ship asap.

• Like 3

If we'd have spent the 9m on Ayew and 6m on Gestede on Austin, we'd be far better off now.

And you say I post crap :lol:

You don't think we'd be better off with Austin rather than Ayew and Gestede?

Try to actually debate the point rather than just call it crap. I called your point absolute twoddle but at least I told you why.

110m to just about make mid table. That's crap mate. Absolutely absurd crap.

Edited by StefanAVFC

If we'd have spent the 9m on Ayew and 6m on Gestede on Austin, we'd be far better off now.

And you say I post crap [emoji38]

Try to actually debate the point rather than just call it crap. I called your point absolute twoddle but at least I told you why.

What about Ayew anyway? First decent performance in the cup and not seen since.

I think giving Grealish and Gil, two players he didn't sign within that £55m, a decent run of games might be an even better place to start.

• Like 1

I think giving Grealish and Gil, two players he didn't sign within that £55m, a decent run of games might be an even better place to start.

He was certainly missing for the 30 minutes or so he played against Stoke!

• Like 1

Exactly. Ayew who's hardly played and Gestede, whom we don't play to his strengths. Put that money into Austin and we're better off.

Imagine Austin with Gil and Grealish. Beautiful.

You don't think we'd be better off with Austin rather than Ayew and Gestede?Try to actually debate the point rather than just call it crap. I called your point absolute twoddle but at least I told you why.

He was certainly missing for the 30 minutes or so he played against Stoke!

Ah yeah! So was I, clearly! I don't think he touched the ball did he?

I think I could feel my face melting by that point.

Â