The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Apologies if this has already been discussed but I've just read Sherwood's quotes regarding the summer transfers

"The club decided we were taking the club a certain route (this season) and that we would look at young players.

"Some of these guys I've only seen them play six or seven times and in a few friendlies and I'm trying to get the best out of them."

Seems to contradict everything he has previously said (what a shock) about how he'd been following all our signings for a long time and that he had the final say on all transfers. 

Yep. At one point or another he's telling porkies.

That point being whenever he opens his mouth. 

After Chelsea game i think the fans should let Sherwood know what they think of him.  Its strange because i can probably count in one hand the amount of people who i know that dont want rid asap.  Under Lambert there was still a good few loyal supporters, including myself, right up to near the end.  This man is way over his head, everyone can see it.  The scary thing is that there is no logic in what he is trying to do, giving nobody any hope for future games, which is resulting in despair.

• Like 3

I personally feel like we've embarrassed ourselves as a club by taking a punt on someone with such little experience. It could have been a masterstroke if it had come off but the odds were so long that we really should have known better.

Unfortunately if this mistake isn't acknowledged and rectified ASAP we will pay with our Premier League status which to be honest we barely deserve anymore anyway.

This thread just plunges deeper and deeper into absurdity.

Sack him for losing the Chelsea game?

Yes, because we normally always beat them at Stamford Bridge and Chelsea really are the sort of squad that any premier league team should be looking to beat.

That's not what was said though - the guy said that if we lose at Chelsea we could go bottom and that would highlight our plight in the media. When he goes it won't be for losing at Chelsea it will be for 4 points from the last 30 possible (33 possible if we lose at Chelsea, which we of course will)

• Like 1

After Chelsea game i think the fans should let Sherwood know what they think of him.  Its strange because i can probably count in one hand the amount of people who i know that dont want rid asap.  Under Lambert there was still a good few loyal supporters, including myself, right up to near the end.  This man is way over his head, everyone can see it.  The scary thing is that there is no logic in what he is trying to do, giving nobody any hope for future games, which is resulting in despair.

Two key differences, Lambert had decent success elsewhere, over seasons, rather than Tactless Tim's few games at Spurs. Also, despite being a bit dour and giving crap interviews, Lambert seemed like a decent, honest man trying his best, with a plan that wasn't really coming together. Sherwood's a clearing in the woods, which is easy to ignore when we're winning, but not right now. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Two key differences, Lambert had decent success elsewhere, over seasons, rather than Tactless Tim's few games at Spurs. Also, despite being a bit dour and giving crap interviews, Lambert seemed like a decent, honest man trying his best, with a plan that wasn't really coming together. Sherwood's a clearing in the woods, which is easy to ignore when we're winning, but not right now. 

Apart from the "Sherwood being a clearing in the woods" part I agree fully.

Sherwood's personality is 'meh' but he doesn't bother me to any great extent, even with all the drivel he comes out with.

That's because I think, until his last season, Lambert always seemed to have a plan. It never came together but I thought you could always see roughly where he was trying to take the team.

That all fell apart in the last season and obviously that's when everybody who hadn't already turned, did turn on him.

With Sherwood it feels very much like it did under McLeish. There's no direction. I have no idea what Sherwood is trying to do, and given his recent comments he doesn't seem to know either. That's what has lost some of the fans.

If we could see where he was trying to take us, a light at the end of the tunnel, then there would be plenty more people willing to give him more time. But there's nothing there. We're awful and it doesn't for one second appear to be getting any better. 

• Like 3

I'll be honest, it's  at least partly personal for me, he's just completely dis-likable.

His blaming the players and never himself (always at Spurs, it's starting here too).

Turning up at VP in Lambert's last games was a pretty slimy thing to do, IMO, when his name was all over the media (his mates no doubt) as the successor when Lambert hadn't even gone yet

He was also strongly rumoured to be leaking stuff about AVB to the press to get him the sack, so he could take the job

Referring to himself in the third **** person

Edited by Davkaus

I personally feel like we've embarrassed ourselves as a club by taking a punt on someone with such little experience. It could have been a masterstroke if it had come off but the odds were so long that we really should have known better.

No, I disagree with this.

The punt on Sherwood worked. We stayed up. He actually did well last season.
He earned the chance to have a crack with us this season.

What will be embarrassing is if we stick with him for game after game if nothing is getting any better, and eventually it costs us. That will be embarrassing. If we act with enough time and appoint a good manager to replace him then I won't be embarrassed at all.

• Like 1

If we lose to Chelsea, he'll need replacing even more so than he does now. With each game we lose the more trouble we find ourselves in and the more urgent it becomes that we should hire someone, who knows what they're doing.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

No, I disagree with this.

The punt on Sherwood worked. We stayed up. He actually did well last season.
He earned the chance to have a crack with us this season.

What will be embarrassing is if we stick with him for game after game if nothing is getting any better, and eventually it costs us. That will be embarrassing. If we act with enough time and appoint a good manager to replace him then I won't be embarrassed at all.

I agree with that Stevo. I wasn''t keen on his appointment as he was too inexperienced for my liking, Manager of Aston Villa FC is still a massive job, not for someone learning their trade. However, he earned some time by keeping us up and getting us to the cup final. However, the way our form has fallen off the cliff at the tail end of last season and the beginning of this season has pretty much meant he is running out of the time he previously earned.

He doesn't help himself with his comments, he might be better off taking a vow of silence and perhaps putting Ray Wilkins in for the after match comments in the short term. The way it is currently going he is just giving out rope to for his own hanging.

• Like 1

I think we've got a squad that should be challenging for midtable at least and Sherwood is vastly under-performing with it.

Really?? I think it's awful. Gana,Veretout,Gardner and Westwood is a very very poor midfield choice

It suits your argument, so you would think that.

Absolutely nothing "very poor" about that midfield. 

I feel it's where we are weak, Sanchez is still hit and miss (more miss IMO), Veretout is struggling to find his feet, Gana looks like he is struggling after his injury, Gardner will never be a prem midfielder IMO, which leaves Westwood. It is my argument and it is my opinion which I am just expressing.

As am I. Its what the forum is for. :)

What do feel the main strenghts are in the midlle of the park just out of interest?

I think with some proper organisation and commitment to players we could have a decent midfield. Sanchez should always be in the defensive role with Gana playing box to box. The choice then for me is between Westwood and Veretout. Ideally it would be Veretout at home as I believe he is far more attack orientated.

We have some good players there, They just aren't being given a good enough run together.

I hope it's you that turns out to be right and not me!!!  I just don't see the quality myself

I agree with sexbelowsound on this one.

I think we have a potentially excellent midfield should the right formula be found. I agree in that if we only have one designated DM it should be Sanchez if we play with 2 holding the middle I would also like to see what Veretout and Gana can do together over a prolonged period of games. To add, I also believe though that there is no reason why you cannot add either Gil or Grealish to the 3 in midfield, in a more advanced role as the link. If we play with one DM in a three, the CM's either side should be a box to box player in order to give creative balance on both channels in midfield. If we play the two holding this gives us the option of playing an AM off the CF. Ayew I think could also play this role as he is more than willing to drop back and put a shift in.

I think Sherwood has some great options tbh, he just keeps choosing the wrong ones imo.  

That's fair enough, in my opinion though Sanchez is not very good from what I have seen of him, he switches off and cant keep pace in the premier league and his all round play is sloppy esppecially in possesion. Gil and Grealish offer nothing in terms of any defensive ability so I don't believe they are suited to being in the middle. I would consider Gil as a luxury player in a middle three but in order to have him play there you need 2 other very very good central midfielders and IMO we just simply don't have that. I think Grealish is best suited to wide positions. I'm a bit unsure as to where Ayew fits in personally?

I actually like Sherwood and I like the set up he has put in place at the club. He made a lot of unproven signings who will take time to adjust, and has not replaced Delph, Cleverley or Benteke and he was never going to with the transfer budget he had available

I actually like Sherwood and I like the set up he has put in place at the club. He made a lot of unproven signings who will take time to adjust, and has not replaced Delph, Cleverley or Benteke and he was never going to with the transfer budget he had available

50 million quid?

What setup are you referring to out of interest?  Ray Wilkins?

• Like 1

What setup are you referring to out of interest?  Ray Wilkins?

All of the backroom staff not just Wilkins. It seems a better set up than the Culverhouse/Karsa debacle then the Keane debacle we had under Lambert

Â