The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

It depends what the overall think is from the board, but I can't argue that he is in a hole

every game we lose moving forward, is making a harder job for a new manager to rescue  the situation.

However, I do have my doubts that anyone can rescue us.

I think its eminently recueable, if that's a word. I just doubt that a manager who experiments every game will get us out of this mess. 

The trouble is we have a manager learning his trade with us. OK maybe for a mid table championship side perhaps but not for us given where we are, Every game we get outsmarted by managers who would get VT in meltdown if we recruited them. Says it all really.

It depends what the overall think is from the board, but I can't argue that he is in a hole

every game we lose moving forward, is making a harder job for a new manager to rescue  the situation.

Come on TRO you can't honestly believe the current squad are not better than results suggest - Surely?

I think we have a much better squad than last season and with the right set up could climb the table to finish somewhere between 10th and 15th and comfortably outside the relegation places. Obviously current results don't suggest that but I don't think many people were predicting we would be struggling in the fashion we are during the summer. 

Ok

if Chelsea is a free hit and Tim's still here for Swansea

having just watched the highlights of Swansea 2-2 Spurs, it's my opinion that if he plays Hutton or Bacuna instead of Richards at RB, moreno will get at least 4 assists.

as a "non-Professional Footballer/coach/manager" if I see this

a ) how many other "Fans/Forumers" see this too?

b ) is it irrelevant what a fan see's because we're no "experts" anyway?

• Like 1

I don't see Chelsea as a bonus game, if he loses that then he'll need firing even more than he does now. Not because I expect anything from the game, but because if we do lose then we could find ourselves seven points adrift from safety going into the Swansea game. If we do find ourselves going into the Swansea game in that situation then it would be best to do so with a new manager and the lift that that would bring. Basically we might as well just sack him now and get it over and done with.

If Sherwood rescued us last season, nearly any manager can rescue us at this stage. Or maybe people are gonna admit it was really Benteke who got us to safety.

I don't think anybody is saying there is no way back if we got, say, 14 points out of the next 10 games.

What i think people are saying is there is absolutely no way we'll be amassing that sort of points total, therefore there is no way back.

I agree it is unlikely but strange things happen in football. In O’Learys first season we won just 2 of our first 13 league games we then won 5 of our next 7.

Every game we have lost this season has been by the odd goal. We are potentially not a million miles away. For me it is not beyond the realms that over the next 10 games we could get wins against Swansea (H), Watford (H), Newcastle (A) and West Ham (H) and pick up of couple of draws.

It needs something to spark us into life soon though as losing just cranks up the pressure and destroys confidence and I am not sure we have enough strong characters to handle that pressure. It also makes the manager start questioning himself and compromising on his footballing beliefs and we have already seen that with Sherwood.

Given the choice now Moyes, Rodgers, Allardyce or Sherwood I got to be honest I take one of the first three. That is not on the table though is it and won’t be on the menu for some time as I just can’t for one second see Lerner/Fox pulling the trigger so soon after overseeing a huge turnover in players and the fact that Sherwood last season succeeded in his only remit. It will, whether some like it or not, be seen as too soon.

For now then I have to, or maybe I choose to, give the man currently at the helm the benefit of the doubt, however slight that doubt may be. The alternative to that is knowing that he won’t be sacked but giving up totally on any hope of him turning it around after just eight games. I may as well cut my season ticket up now if that is the case and if my poor results threshold was that low I’d have probably given up going years ago.

A fair post as ever. I agree with some, disagree with other parts. I would certainly pull the trigger myself, I would at least be sounding out other managers. Perhaps they are.

I have very little hope he will turn it around and only slightly more that they will sack him any time soon, though lose the next two and I think he's just about done. I won't be cutting up my season ticket regardless, I feel that would be as counter productive as it can get. The players need support. The ticket is bought and paid for, me staying away can only affect them adversely.

What I have decided to do is stop stressing out about it so much. Staying away from Villa Talk as much as possible has certainly helped with that!

• Like 2

I think we've got a squad that should be challenging for midtable at least and Sherwood is vastly under-performing with it.

Really?? I think it's awful. Gana,Veretout,Gardner and Westwood is a very very poor midfield choice

It suits your argument, so you would think that.

Absolutely nothing "very poor" about that midfield. 

I feel it's where we are weak, Sanchez is still hit and miss (more miss IMO), Veretout is struggling to find his feet, Gana looks like he is struggling after his injury, Gardner will never be a prem midfielder IMO, which leaves Westwood. It is my argument and it is my opinion which I am just expressing.

As am I. Its what the forum is for. :)

What do feel the main strenghts are in the midlle of the park just out of interest?

I think with some proper organisation and commitment to players we could have a decent midfield. Sanchez should always be in the defensive role with Gana playing box to box. The choice then for me is between Westwood and Veretout. Ideally it would be Veretout at home as I believe he is far more attack orientated.

We have some good players there, They just aren't being given a good enough run together.

I hope it's you that turns out to be right and not me!!!  I just don't see the quality myself

I think we've got a squad that should be challenging for midtable at least and Sherwood is vastly under-performing with it.

Really?? I think it's awful. Gana,Veretout,Gardner and Westwood is a very very poor midfield choice

I feel it's where we are weak, Sanchez is still hit and miss (more miss IMO), Veretout is struggling to find his feet, Gana looks like he is struggling after his injury, Gardner will never be a prem midfielder IMO, which leaves Westwood. It is my argument and it is my opinion which I am just expressing.

What do feel the main strenghts are in the midlle of the park just out of interest?

I think with some proper organisation and commitment to players we could have a decent midfield. Sanchez should always be in the defensive role with Gana playing box to box. The choice then for me is between Westwood and Veretout. Ideally it would be Veretout at home as I believe he is far more attack orientated.

We have some good players there, They just aren't being given a good enough run together.

I hope it's you that turns out to be right and not me!!!  I just don't see the quality myself

Potential quality.....

I agree with sexbelowsound on this one.

I think we have a potentially excellent midfield should the right formula be found. I agree in that if we only have one designated DM it should be Sanchez if we play with 2 holding the middle I would also like to see what Veretout and Gana can do together over a prolonged period of games. To add, I also believe though that there is no reason why you cannot add either Gil or Grealish to the 3 in midfield, in a more advanced role as the link. If we play with one DM in a three, the CM's either side should be a box to box player in order to give creative balance on both channels in midfield. If we play the two holding this gives us the option of playing an AM off the CF. Ayew I think could also play this role as he is more than willing to drop back and put a shift in.

I think Sherwood has some great options tbh, he just keeps choosing the wrong ones imo.  

• Like 2

Come on TRO you can't honestly believe the current squad are not better than results suggest - Surely?

I think we have a much better squad than last season and with the right set up could climb the table to finish somewhere between 10th and 15th and comfortably outside the relegation places. Obviously current results don't suggest that but I don't think many people were predicting we would be struggling in the fashion we are during the summer. 

I am genuinely unsure.....I think we lack leaders, players with a fighting spirit....they look happy for the responsibility to be someone elses.

If they could address that and find some fight, they would look much better......I am not doubting their technical ability....its the character, I'm unsure about.

I don't think anybody is saying there is no way back if we got, say, 14 points out of the next 10 games.

What i think people are saying is there is absolutely no way we'll be amassing that sort of points total, therefore there is no way back.

I agree it is unlikely but strange things happen in football. In O’Learys first season we won just 2 of our first 13 league games we then won 5 of our next 7.

Every game we have lost this season has been by the odd goal. We are potentially not a million miles away. For me it is not beyond the realms that over the next 10 games we could get wins against Swansea (H), Watford (H), Newcastle (A) and West Ham (H) and pick up of couple of draws.

It needs something to spark us into life soon though as losing just cranks up the pressure and destroys confidence and I am not sure we have enough strong characters to handle that pressure. It also makes the manager start questioning himself and compromising on his footballing beliefs and we have already seen that with Sherwood.

Given the choice now Moyes, Rodgers, Allardyce or Sherwood I got to be honest I take one of the first three. That is not on the table though is it and won’t be on the menu for some time as I just can’t for one second see Lerner/Fox pulling the trigger so soon after overseeing a huge turnover in players and the fact that Sherwood last season succeeded in his only remit. It will, whether some like it or not, be seen as too soon.

For now then I have to, or maybe I choose to, give the man currently at the helm the benefit of the doubt, however slight that doubt may be. The alternative to that is knowing that he won’t be sacked but giving up totally on any hope of him turning it around after just eight games. I may as well cut my season ticket up now if that is the case and if my poor results threshold was that low I’d have probably given up going years ago.

A fair post as ever. I agree with some, disagree with other parts. I would certainly pull the trigger myself, I would at least be sounding out other managers. Perhaps they are.

I have very little hope he will turn it around and only slightly more that they will sack him any time soon, though lose the next two and I think he's just about done. I won't be cutting up my season ticket regardless, I feel that would be as counter productive as it can get. The players need support. The ticket is bought and paid for, me staying away can only affect them adversely.

What I have decided to do is stop stressing out about it so much. Staying away from Villa Talk as much as possible has certainly helped with that!

knew I was missing something!!

Tim will turn it around, you'll see.

I have parts of my body crossed,that i don't even know the medical term for..:o

Edited by TRO

I am genuinely unsure.....I think we lack leaders, players with a fighting spirit....they look happy for the responsibility to be someone elses.

If they could address that and find some fight, they would look much better......I am not doubting their technical ability....its the character, I'm unsure about.

I agree with the character remark to a point but isn't the trick as a manager to allow your players to express their talents/character etc. This is where Sherwood is falling down imo. He has left our most creative players on the bench in recent games and in essence restricted the flow of a positive approach to games. The character of the players isn't the problem here I don't think. It would also not surprise me if most the players are starting to question Sherwoods methods. We all know that once the players believe the manager is talking out his arse and not playing their idea of the strongest team or tactics, they will stop listening. I think this is starting to happen and is why individual performances are now suffering and not just the team.

• Like 1

Staying away from Villa Talk as much as possible has certainly helped with that!

Yeah, right. What kind of 'life' is that? 

Edit: trying to qoute DDID on staying away from VT. 

Edited by Michelsen
Silly, new qouting thing.

I agree with the character remark to a point but isn't the trick as a manager to allow your players to express their talents/character etc. This is where Sherwood is falling down imo. He has left our most creative players on the bench in recent games and in essence restricted the flow of a positive approach to games. The character of the players isn't the problem here I don't think. It would also not surprise me if most the players are starting to question Sherwoods methods. We all know that once the players believe the manager is talking out his arse and not playing their idea of the strongest team or tactics, they will stop listening. I think this is starting to happen and is why individual performances are now suffering and not just the team.

look, I can't say you are wrong in what you say.

Its ultimately down to the manager directly or indirectly......6 goals have cost us 18 points...... 6 bloody goals.

I struggle ,when we talk about the quality of corners or strikers or anything that is offensive....and I'm not saying folk don't have a point.....but we can't defend.

(......and yes I'm one that wants to see Gil in the team..... we need a No 10)

The attack, the midfield, the defenders......................can't defend.

Â