Carles Gil

bose

Still no runners to help out his one footedness but he does a great job finding us space to move forward.
I'd love to see him more advanced with a chance to shoot, but for now he needs to link up play because nobody else in midfield has his ball carrying in the final third.

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay

He wasnt great today for me. Lively in the first half but produced little of note.

However he is still our single most important attacker.  Even on his poorer day he still stands out.

he played further forward.. almost looked like he was upfront. On one occasion he taps Gabby on the shoulder and told him to go run at the defender. Was great to see him more settled in the side now. His English I guess has integrated him more in the side

The whole attack was built around him yesterday, as it should be.  Hes never going to win much in midfield so should never be back there for me.

As I said I dont think he had a good game yesterday considering how good he can be. But it i great to see him so involved now!

• Like 1

Remember when Sherwood (possibly through the mouthpiece of Uncle Fester) said Gil was a luxury player not suited to a relegation scrap... Yesterday proved to me how effectual a player like Gil can be when he's 'on', even against a scrapping lower division side. 

If we can keep players like him this summer, then hopefully we can come straight back up. 

• Like 1

He's the only player we have who has anywhere close to good movement.

Any time we have the ball in midfield or defence, Gil is always moving and looking for it.

No, his final ball isn't always there (although I'd argue with better options ahead of him it would be) but he wants the ball all the time and tries to make things happen.

13 hours ago, Shaw_nuff said:

Those teeth are well and truly gritted. He's consistently better than any of the other shit we possess

I think that's part of the problem. Looking back we had attacking quality and players who could beat a man like Gil does. Similarly to Gil most good players we had couldn't consistently beat the second and third man and if they could, they eventually left our club.

5-10 years ago we'd be look at Gil and say, he's a great young talent, now we look and say, he's one of our best players.
Adjusting to our new level has been tough for many Villa fans and I don't think they understand what extra he has to do to be a consistent attacking threat. For me the fact he recognises that he MUST put himself in positions where he'll lose the ball shows he's understands how to improve us.
Consistent execution comes with practice and space, yet with such little movement around him he doesn't really get a chance of either. At times against Norwich he was double marked, yet other players still found little to no space. 

• Like 1

Â