Carles Gil

bose

I'm not a huge fan but he's ok. He suffers from having absolutely nothing to work with because the whole team are devoid of the confidence to make forward runs off the ball, and when they do their judgment is poor  - again lack of confidence and clarity of thought for me - . I think if he had anyone to 'slip in' he would do it as often as most No 10's.

7 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Nothing, 'cos he had been subbed off. When that statement was born as part of a much longer post, it was referring to West Ham's 2nd real attempt at goal (the Tomkins one). But I think I got a bit carried away in the editing.

failing to defend at crucial moments (e.g. second goal)

giphy.gif

• Like 2

I've never understood the criticism of him having low work rate.

Even last season in his few appearances it was clear he works as hard as most others in our team. 

He does have defensive lapses on occasions, but he's not a defender.

• Like 1

Just now, Dante_Lockhart said:

Imagine if he had someone in front of him with movement and a football brain. Those runs off the backs of defenders, cuts across the box etc...

Same with Makoun IMO. He was miles ahead of anyone else in the team, football intelligence wise.

I very much agree. See loads of posts with people saying "what does he actually do", or "he just plays it too simple"....but when there's no movement in front what else is he supposed to do? 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I've never understood the criticism of him having low work rate.

Even last season in his few appearances it was clear he works as hard as most others in our team. 

He does have defensive lapses on occasions, but he's not a defender.

I do think it's a bit of a cultural thing.  I saw Joey Barton being interviewed and he was talking about bollocking Valbuena when he was playing for Marseilles for not tracking back enough, and the manager took him aside and told him never to bollock Valbuena because he is not there to do any defending.  He is the creative one, the rest of the team should do that side of the game, all his energy should be focussed on the attacking side.  The thing is the team is so poor that Gil has to do a fair amount of the defensive side, especially when he is playing on the wing, which is just not what he's suited to, and in general the British attitude is that everyone should bust their balls to get back.  So if someone is seen to not be great at it, they get stick, no matter if they are the most likely to actually create a chance at goal, or score a miraculous goal themselves.

As it is, I think Gil is pretty decent at closing down and pressing, he isn't the quickest over long distance but in short bursts he is pretty quick both with and without the ball, so if he was playing centrally he would contribute more to winning the ball back from the central defenders and midfielders.  Playing wide he doesn't have the engine to track runs from wingers and full backs, so he gets exposed a lot more.

• Like 3

Yeah, expecting an attacking midfielder to be brilliant defensively is crazy.  The guy has better technique than anything else we've got.  If we weren't so unbalanced (i.e: if we had an agile striker rather than someone to cross to), Gil would be perceived in a more favourable light.

He's only just turned 23, as well.  He'll get better.

• Like 1

Matthew Le Tissier was an attacking midfielder and he played with immobile attackers like Dowie and Neil Shipperley. Andres D'Alessandro was smaller and same age yet he inspired Portsmouth to safety from a shit position

excuses always pile up for this player yet the same could be said for Jack(shit strikers and shit team) yet he always slaughtered

24 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Matthew Le Tissier was an attacking midfielder and he played with immobile attackers like Dowie and Neil Shipperley. Andres D'Alessandro was smaller and same age yet he inspired Portsmouth to safety from a shit position

excuses always pile up for this player yet the same could be said for Jack(shit strikers and shit team) yet he always slaughtered

So your comparisons are one of the greatest attacking midfielders the Premier League has seen and one of the more prominent Argentine attacking midfielders of the 2000's?  Seems fair!

Your last bit is completely correct "the same could be said for Jack" - but it isn't.  Somehow, Gil seems to get the stick.  He's a higher-up-the-pitch version of Ashley Westwood.  Good at what he does, but disliked for being things he shouldn't be.

• Like 2

Alright, sweet. 

In that case I think they're both decent players with good top-flight careers ahead of them (might not be the English top flight for Gil). The only difference for me is that I question Grealish's application (more on the training ground than the pitch, although Wycombe was shocking) and I don't question Gil's. 

• Like 1

Gil gets played in the whole to negate him having to do the defensive work but against WHU he ended up left side after the sending off and was lax for the goal. Our squad is that thin we are playing our better players in other positions. Gil behind Ayew who's a willing runner would be ideal but we never get the chance. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Imagine if he had someone in front of him with movement and a football brain. Those runs off the backs of defenders, cuts across the box etc...

Same with Makoun IMO. He was miles ahead of anyone else in the team, football intelligence wise.

He's called Jordan Ayew.

The trouble with Gil is he has no answer when teams put two men on him, Watford did this and he constantly lost the ball and was outmuscled by Nyom and Capoue.

That's why I think he's better as an impact sub as teams might be pushing up to get a goal so he gets more space to work with.

12 hours ago, bobzy said:

So your comparisons are one of the greatest attacking midfielders the Premier League has seen and one of the more prominent Argentine attacking midfielders of the 2000's?  Seems fair!

why isnt it fair? he plays the same position and if he was as good as some people think then he would have at least made a tenth of the impact these players have. Is a reason Valencia let him go so cheap and that is because he is just not much good and I would love if he proved me wrong. He has been here one year now and still doesnt even come close to make an impact in games

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

why isnt it fair? he plays the same position and if he was as good as some people think then he would have at least made a tenth of the impact these players have. Is a reason Valencia let him go so cheap and that is because he is just not much good and I would love if he proved me wrong. He has been here one year now and still doesnt even come close to make an impact in games

because you have picked out two players who did the most rare thing.. play well in a really shite side and they were superstars in their own right. No one is claiming Gil is a superstar.. but he is our best player and is not being utilized properly. First time we did use him correctly and Ayew gets himself sent off. I was liking what i was seeing from us in the first twenty minutes and Gil was very much apart of that. 

• Like 2

I think Gil is 1 of the players that will be important to keep for next season, IMO I think if he was in a team like chelsea (more how they played last season) he'd thrive and be an important cog in their machine. UTV

• Like 3

Â