The ISIS threat to Europe

Ads

The surviving pilot of a Russian plane shot down by Turkey on the Syrian border has said no warning was given.

Capt Konstantin Murakhtin told Russian television there was "no way" the jet could have violated Turkish airspace, as Turkey said it did.

Russia said Capt Murakhtin was rescued in a 12-hour operation involving special forces.

Turkey insists the pilots were warned 10 times before the plane was shot down.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34925229

Turks are gonna be sent to the naughty chair for this. In addition to the testimony of the surviving pilot, the statement the Turks sent to the security council would have had the Russian jet flying at stall speed... whoops. 

Anyway, a de-facto no fly zone for the Turks now and perhaps losing control over their border with Syria too.

8 hours ago, Chindie said:

'So called Islamic State' is destined to be a feature on Charlie Brookers Wipe of the Year IMO.

Why don't we just stop calling them the Islamic State?

If they don't represent Islam, couldn't we call them the unislamic State or the ... er ... US for short?

Or, as per Ban-Ki Moon's address to the UN last year, the “Un-Islamic Non-State” - though that would be the UN, wouldn't it? :)

• Like 1

Or how about Daesh... you know, their actual name. Given the chaos currently exhibited by the forces lined up against them and their known supporters, if you were in this group, would you be overly concerned right now or happy with how your strategy is playing out. Because make no mistake they are intelligent and do have a strategy. 

2 minutes ago, villakram said:

Or how about Daesh... you know, their actual name. Given the chaos currently exhibited by the forces lined up against them and their known supporters, if you were in this group, would you be overly concerned right now or happy with how your strategy is playing out. Because make no mistake they are intelligent and do have a strategy. 

Is this the strategy that involves almost getting wiped out only for Jesus to turn up and save the day?

10 minutes ago, coda said:

Is this the strategy that involves almost getting wiped out only for Jesus to turn up and save the day?

They are getting wiped out? Time is their ally, not ours! 

Politicians talk a lot, but what is actually happening. These two things are not equal regardless of the recently found earnestness of Mr. Hollande. Remember, oil was freely flowing until a few days ago, and arms likely flow freely still.

and yes... some form of divine silliness is likely in their playbook too, but most humans suffer from some form of this affliction.

Edited by villakram

Well worth watching for anyone with 55 minutes to spare and a desire to know more.  Will McCants is one of the best English speaking analysts out there for Islamic State issues.

Edited by limpid
fixed embed
  • Like 1

Also worth a read... Juan Cole's take on the situation. "...  If Jabal Turkmen is a red line for Turkey, Latakia port is a red line for Russia. Red lines have a way of turning into hot wars."

http://www.juancole.com/2015/11/turkey-russian-plane.html

Edited by villakram
link w/o quote

10 minutes ago, villakram said:

Or how about Daesh... you know, their actual name.

It's not, though, is it? I gather Daesh is an acronym formed from the name they call themselves.

I've no objection to calling them whatever we want (including Daesh), btw.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

It's not, though, is it? I gather Daesh is an acronym formed from the name they call themselves.

I've no objection to calling them whatever we want (including Daesh), btw.

It is also sounds similar to the Arabic word for 'something on the bottom of your shoe' apparently so the group hates being called that.  

14 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It is also sounds similar to the Arabic word for 'something on the bottom of your shoe' apparently so the group hates being called that.  

Is that the case or is that one of those 'apparently' things made up by someone somewhere? I have no idea - I speak no arabic. :)

Â