Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

Yup.  FFP is the thin veil that the illustrious UEFA teams use to protect their privileged positions in the CL from upstarts.  FIFA don't care about that and it's less of a problem outside Yurp.

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

One thing I dont get is has anyone heard of these ice bars? they are bars made of ice but bloody cold, cold to the extent where they give you a thick jacket before you enter. why would anyone pay to be cold?? if you want to be cold just step outside for free!

i did one in shanghai, they gave us a north face coat worth circa £400 (double that for the tax in china too) it was a vodka bar so they had a couple of hundred different brands and flavours, iirc it was something like £9 a shot, no mixers and there was no one in there apart from the 6 of us and was a right ball ache to find

179471_10150132426440917_2834682_n.jpg?o

it was ok for an experience but i wouldnt do it here

53 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i did one in shanghai, they gave us a north face coat worth circa £400 (double that for the tax in china too) it was a vodka bar so they had a couple of hundred different brands and flavours, iirc it was something like £9 a shot, no mixers and there was no one in there apart from the 6 of us and was a right ball ache to find

179471_10150132426440917_2834682_n.jpg?o

it was ok for an experience but i wouldnt do it here

Nice one mate, credit to you but I can't think of anything worse!!

28 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

You look tired!!!!

i was! think that was the end of my first week, did a lot of walking, a coach ride from hangzhou and my nearest death experience in the taxi to that bar!

and yeah dem it was great at the start but after the first shot the novelty had gone and i was ready to go

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

One thing I dont get is has anyone heard of these ice bars? they are bars made of ice but bloody cold, cold to the extent where they give you a thick jacket before you enter. why would anyone pay to be cold?? if you want to be cold just step outside for free!

Went to one in Helsinki as a mate wanted to go. It was basically a converted meat chiller at the back of a restaurant! about a tenner to get in and a couple of free vodka drinks (i don't like vodka). 

Nobody actually likes vodka surely ?

its just a drink you down in one thus getting you pissed a bit quicker on a lads night out ... With the occasional wacky flavour thrown in for comedy / novelty factor ( I had chilli flavour in Kiev and it burnt my throat and killed my taste buds for a long while !! )

34 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

its just a drink you down in one thus getting you pissed a bit quicker on a lads night out ... With the occasional wacky flavour thrown in for comedy / novelty factor ( I had chilli flavour in Kiev and it burnt my throat and killed my taste buds for a long while !! )

I can't stand it. Gin has a flavour, rum has a flavour... vodka just tastes likes the tears of Russian children from an orphanage. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

This stuff I'll drink straight, and I'll very often sip it, rather than just throw it back, as it tastes nice. Bog standard vodka (like Smirnoff) is horrid to drink straight.

brandpage-reyka-1.jpg

• Like 2

Zubrowka is lovely.

I went on a tour of Adnams Brewery a couple of months ago and obviously the main focus was their beer, but we also got to taste some of their spirits.

vodka_adn2.jpg

That was absolutely lovely. It's the only non-russian vodka to win "best vodka in the world". It's just pure vodka, no flavours, but I could honestly had drunk it straight, and I'm no huge vodka fan without a mixer.

(Their gin and sloe gin were very good too)

Edited by Stevo985

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

That was absolutely lovely. It's the only non-russian vodka to win "best vodka in the world". It's just pure vodka, no flavours, but I could honestly had drunk it straight, and I'm no huge vodka fan without a mixer.

Except that Chase and Bainbridge have won it previously.

Â