Euro 2016 General Chat

MrDuck

Hungary are a nothing International team...really don't want to see them at the euros.

Poor group in fairness, Romania are no great shakes either but just think Norn Iron deserve it for their long tournament drought and the South nicking loads of their young players....

I know football is very much about the here and now (unless we are discussing Chelsea when suddenly it becomes a conversation about history) but I'd quite like to see Hungary back in a big competition just because of the Magnificent Magyars, who are widely regarded as the best team by a country mile who never won a world cup.  

Yeah I'll just quantify what I mean...I completely respect Hungary's history and standing in the game but look at their current team and who's their to be excited about? Pyjamas in goal who's nearly 40 now, Zoltan Gera who's O.A.P age aswell, Tamas Priskin upfront who failed at a hundred championship clubs. No idea if any of their other players are ripping it up in other major leagues but compare them to Austria. 

Another historical team that haven't been in a major tournament for a while but at least they've got interesting players doing well in major leagues like Alaba, Harnik, Dragovic and Arnautovic.

I suppose in fairness a foreign fan would say the same thing about Nothern Ireland but that's just the way I feel.

But you always wonder if a good run of results and a decent showing in a Euros could inspire a generation of kids.  You see how Wales go from playing in front of 15,000 in Wrexham when they are losing to playing in front of 70,000 in Cardiff if they are winning and wonder what the knock on effect of that increased enthusiasm might be.  Hungary were the best team in the world for most of the 1950s, they will probably never get back to that level again but why can't they emulate some of the other decent European sides? 

Hungarian Football and FA are a bit corrupt allegedly aren't they, need to sort that out before inspiring a new generation.

Anyway...Sweden 0-2 Austria, Alaba and Harnik the scorers. Really looking forward to watching Austria next summer. Sweden in danger of being in the play offs as Russia have started winning now they've sacked Capello.

Just looking at the Sweden 11 tonight and so little to be excited about apart from Zlatan.......

Granquist...failed at Wigan.

Ekdal- Now getting Hamburgered so R.I.P his career.

Kallstrom- lol

Seb Larsson- Limited workhorse.

Marcus flipping Berg.

What happened to all those exciting players in their under 21 team, any of them allowed to play before they reach 30?

Sweden have been awful, Forsberg looks lively but except Isaakson have all been shit. Larsson at right back says it all

how can a team not defend throw ins, 3 times Austria got through them from throw ins

• 1 month later...

Norway 1-0 up in Rome. Perhaps a trifle lucky, but currently top of the group. An equalizer will see us down to third place, though. Tres nervous. 

Dang I had no idea it was that close in that group. Yea if results hold, Italy is going to the playoffs. 

No Croats are going to 3rd place, Italy are already through and possibly throwing the game....allegedly. ;)

Seriously would be a tremendous win for Norway, am watching it and Italy have been camped in their half since the goal so looooooong 45 minutes ahead. Finally Norway have some youth in their team, they do exist and it's only taken 10 years.

No Croats are going to 3rd place, Italy are already through and possibly throwing the game....allegedly. ;)

Seriously would be a tremendous win for Norway, am watching it and Italy have been camped in their half since the goal so looooooong 45 minutes ahead. Finally Norway have some youth in their team, they do exist and it's only taken 10 years.

Is that because of head to head because Croatia's GD is considerably better than Italy's? 

Is that because of head to head because Croatia's GD is considerably better than Italy's? 

They'd be ahead on points. Not that it matters anyway, as those handsome, technically superior, pasta-eating bastards have turned it around. 

Czech really shot themselves in the foot. Up 3-0 in Holland and now it's 3-2, but Turkey are leading Iceland despite also being down to 10 men. Holland is done. 

But we finish top of the group! Never thought that would happen. I figured we'd get top 3 for sure, but the group was not easy at all. I am a happy Czech. 

Edited by Czechlad
  • Like 1

Â