The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

Question for the Help desk guys -

I am a month into my new role as a service desk technician - left recruitment after 6 years to start a new career. 

Where do you think I should be at this stage? Bearing in mind that I had absolutely no proper IT experience at all. 

I wouldn't apply for the Chief Executive role just yet...

I am a month into my new role as a service desk technician - left recruitment after 6 years to start a new career. 

Where do you think I should be at this stage? Bearing in mind that I had absolutely no proper IT experience at all. 

Making the tea? Photocopying? 

Seriously? 1 month in with no  experience at all I'd expect you to still be shadowing for the most part - maybe with some responsibility for minor/easy calls coming directly to you. 

No more than that at this stage. 

Learning all of the processes.

With me, I was training other people within 3 months but initially I was just taking calls and emails and making sure I asked if the client had a question that I didn't know the answer to.

Making the tea? Photocopying? 

Seriously? 1 month in with no  experience at all I'd expect you to still be shadowing for the most part - maybe with some responsibility for minor/easy calls coming directly to you. 

No more than that at this stage. 

Depends on the person. I took the most calls on the desk in my first full month because I worked hard to learn all of the process and they laid the targets right in front of me and said 'hit them, here's your reward'

• 1 month later...

Yeah I feel like a bit of a word removed if I'm honest.  No way do I feel comfortable telling my friends, I'd feel jealous/a bit of resentment if was the other way round.  Cant be arsed with people talking behind my back either.

Low down approach, just say I got a months salary.

Can only imagine what it would be like for a Euromillion winner, kiss goodbye to everyone you ever knew.  But I suppose 50million would help buy some new 'friends.'

Don't feel guilty about it, chief. You gave them 12 years of your life. 

There's obviously no need to flash it around to all and sundry but enjoy it. Most of us would kill for an opportunity like that.

Yeah I feel like a bit of a word removed if I'm honest.  No way do I feel comfortable telling my friends, I'd feel jealous/a bit of resentment if was the other way round.  Cant be arsed with people talking behind my back either.

Low down approach, just say I got a months salary.

Can only imagine what it would be like for a Euromillion winner, kiss goodbye to everyone you ever knew.  But I suppose 50million would help buy some new 'friends.'

Congrats on losing your job! ;)

Seriously I'd be in the same position If I was made redundant - I reckon I could afford 2-3 years doing nothing if they paid me my redundancy. I'd have no qualms in telling people! You've worked hard for 12 years, enjoy your time off and do some stuff that you've been putting off :)

I'm 40. Left my old sales job about 2 months ago. The place was a mess, previously a family owned business,  brought out by a multinational PLC. It treated customers like shit and the infighting was terrible - I had to get out. Took another sales job at a smaller company,  closer to home, less money longer hours - yes I was that desperate.  Now I'm thinking I really can't see myself doing this for another 25 years. The company seems too small to allow for much in the way of career progression.  But I don't know what I want to do.  25 years ago I would have liked to have gone to uni to get a position in severe weather or seismology. Too old now I guess.  So I'm stuck in engineering sales. Thinking I should stick it out for 12 months and see where I am then, but I shouldn't already dislike the day to day aspects of my new job should I?

I'm 40. Left my old sales job about 2 months ago. The place was a mess, previously a family owned business,  brought out by a multinational PLC. It treated customers like shit and the infighting was terrible - I had to get out. Took another sales job at a smaller company,  closer to home, less money longer hours - yes I was that desperate.  Now I'm thinking I really can't see myself doing this for another 25 years. The company seems too small to allow for much in the way of career progression.  But I don't know what I want to do.  25 years ago I would have liked to have gone to uni to get a position in severe weather or seismology. Too old now I guess.  So I'm stuck in engineering sales. Thinking I should stick it out for 12 months and see where I am then, but I shouldn't already dislike the day to day aspects of my new job should I?

Hi Dubbs. 

If you are going for sales jobs it will be the same wherever you go. Sales is sales. Meeting new people and getting yourself settled in is nice for a short while - but the job is still the same. 

I worked in recruitment for 6 years, spent 4 years with one company and fancied a move as I wasn't happy about something - didn't quite know what at the time. Got another recruiter job closer to home on a tad more money and after a few months started to get less and less motivated again. It's because it was still the same thing - talking to candidates all day and then picking up the crap when they drop out of interviews. 3 months ago I interviewed for a job in IT and got it, I've enrolled onto a degree course through the OU in Computing and am so  much happier. I took a hit financially but  hopefully it will be worth it in the long run. I didn't expect to be changing careers at 26 but... Why be unhappy until I retire?

If there is something else that you would rather be doing, go for it. You are never too old to change. It's your life, do what will make you happy. Even if it means just taking on a course whilst continuing with your current job, at least you have made the first steps towards your ultimate goal. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1

After a busy summer I've been stepping up my job hunt again. Revised my CV which sort of worked as I've had a few recruitment agencies get in touch, but that has just been frustrating as the roles have been pretty much the same as what I earn now with no better prospects. Each time the recruiters have seemed surprised I've not been interested in the roles they've had.

Today I got offered an interview for a job I forgot I applied for. Its been a little while since I applied and didn't think I stood a chance when I saw the advert but went for it anyway, so it's a bit of a result I've got this far. I've got a week and a bit to work out how I'm going to go about standing out in the interview as well as not showing some of my inexperience in certain aspects. 

Not me, but she who shall not be named just got a job at Aldi's headquarters.

She's now a confectionery buyer for Aldi. I'm chuffed for her, but most importantly, I'll get loads of free sweets and chocolate.

Everyone's a winner!

Edited by Stevo985

Looks like my on-off move is back on. A sideways move in the company I already work for. Its a strange setup here because being at the top of the band i'm in is financially better than moving up a management grade.

Getting access to a company car means a stoppage from my wages which would wipe out most of the payrise and you lose a lot of perks of not being in the management grade (job flexibility, paid overtime, less hours, less stress, agreed annual payrise).

Looking forward to the new challenge, in about another month or so...
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got a new job hoorah! Finally out of the hell hole I've been working in the past 10 years.

Regarding letter of resignation, I'm slightly confused. The company policy is 1 month's notice yet my new employer wanted me starting ASAP, so we agreed 2 weeks notice should be fine, however I'm still off sick at the moment so won't be back until Tuesday which will be less than 2 weeks notice once I've handed it in. Can they really stop me or do anything of the sort?

• Like 1

Got a new job hoorah! Finally out of the hell hole I've been working in the past 10 years.

Regarding letter of resignation, I'm slightly confused. The company policy is 1 month's notice yet my new employer wanted me starting ASAP, so we agreed 2 weeks notice should be fine, however I'm still off sick at the moment so won't be back until Tuesday which will be less than 2 weeks notice once I've handed it in. Can they really stop me or do anything of the sort?

No, they really can't. Cost of, for example, suing you for breach of contract, far out weighs the benefits, since you're leaving anyway. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have an interview today, and for the first time in my career I'm at the point where they seem to want me more than the other way around. It's nice going in to an interview feeling like I'm interviewing them!

• Like 2

First 2 years in the job, I was shitting it because I thought I would be found out. I knew what I was doing but then, 7 years ago I thought they were paying me too much. Anyone been in a job where they thought they might get found out. 

I stress its different now, I know my work, I am good at it too.

Â