A Song of Ice and Fire

villarule123

My goodness. How can I have been on VT all this time and not known there was a thread about the Game of Thrones books.

I think theyre incredible, a real source of literary genius. The characters are fantastic, the plots twistier, nastier and more intricate than anything else i've ever read. I've dipped in and out of the TV series, but they are not a patch on the books so i'm not that bothered about them. (I do think it is cast very well though and when reading the books it is nice to put a face to a character).

Im chomping at the bit for the next one to come out, so much so i've recently been researching GoT conspiracy theories! Jon Snow and Daenerys brother and sister anyone...

I think this series of the TV show will push way ahead of the books.   The theory that Jon Snow is a Targaryen  (son of Rhaegar and Lyanna Stark, rather than bastard child of Ned Stark) does have a lot of credibility given all the stuff which happened in the first book/series of the TV show.   It's been floating around for so long now that if it had been true it wouldn't surprise me if GRRM has since changed the outcome just to be a dick. :lol:

At some point there is going to be a final battle between humans and white walkers, probably at the wall and probably with Jon Snow and Dany leading the charge. 

Does anybody give any credence to the theory that Mance Rayder is Rhaegar in hiding and his early trips to Winterfell were to see his son?

Barristan did mention in one of the episodes how Rhaegar "loved to sing" and of course Mance was/is 'Bael the Bard' (Abel) .

Does anybody give any credence to the theory that Mance Rayder is Rhaegar in hiding and his early trips to Winterfell were to see his son?

Barristan did mention in one of the episodes how Rhaegar "loved to sing" and of course Mance was/is 'Bael the Bard' (Abel) .

Pretty sure Robert said he  carved in his head with a warhammer on the trident. And isnt Mance an ex brother of the Nights watch?

Yeah, Rhaegar was killed by Robert 15(ish) years before the first book/episode of the TV show.  

The only Targaryens we know about at the moment are Dany, Maester Aemon at the Night's Watch  in the show, and Aegon ("Young Griff") in the books who everybody believes died as an infant at the hands of The Mountain which is why Oberyn Martell was so pissed when he came to Kings Landing.  His sister was Aegon/Young Griff's mother. 

• 1 month later...

As the TV show has more or less caught up.. I can finally enter this thread. Currently on Clash of Kings in the books.

That Jon Snow theory is very interesting. It seems pretty obvious that the Red Lady is going to resurrect him. Imagine if the NW started burning his body at the start of Season 6 :lol:

• 5 months later...
21 hours ago, villarule123 said:

Rumoured to be finished already and in production for a early 2016 release.

As they said on the Storm of Spoilers podcast - the book will drop 2 weeks before the TV show is due. 

Cue the massive hype/meltdown

44 minutes ago, Eames said:

As they said on the Storm of Spoilers podcast - the book will drop 2 weeks before the TV show is due. 

Cue the massive hype/meltdown

Who said that? Two weeks to read a GoT book is a big ask for me! 

I'd love them to do a prequel series next year as the books should always be ahead of the TV show IMO. 

Is there a book based on the prequels by Martin? Sure I read somewhere that there was. 

Edited by villarule123

10 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Just finished A knight of the seven Kingdoms last night. Its a trilogy of three novellas set 100 years before game of thrones.

Enjoyed it and I'd be amazed if it doesnt get turned into a TV series or film.

I'm not reading them on principle. 

Finish ASOIAF first beardy, Then write your spin offs. :rant:

Just finished A knight of the seven Kingdoms last night. Its a trilogy of three novellas set 100 years before game of thrones.

Enjoyed it and I'd be amazed if it doesnt get turned into a TV series or film.

So now you know where Lord Bloodraven ended up? ;)

2 hours ago, Eames said:

I'm not reading them on principle. 

Finish ASOIAF first beardy, Then write your spin offs. :rant:

Think he wrote these Novellas a while back, first one was published in 1998 so its a bit late to get angry at him. They've just now published them all in the same book.

• 1 month later...
On 24/11/2015 at 17:17, villarule123 said:

Rumoured to be finished already and in production for a early 2016 release.

GRRM confirmed on his blog that WoW is not finished (and nowhere near so) apparently and won't be released prior to the HBO S6 opener in April as was the original plan. 

34 minutes ago, Eames said:

GRRM confirmed on his blog that WoW is not finished (and nowhere near so) apparently and won't be released prior to the HBO S6 opener in April as was the original plan. 

****! 

Â