What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

Anyone got an opinion on VW Sciroccos?

I've been debating a new hatchback for a while now to upgrade from my trusty Fiesta. Looking at the <~£22k budget on PCP (also looked at £15k cash range) and was debating between an Merc A-Class (A180), Audi A3, Seat Leon SC (Best Value) or the Scirocco.

After weeks and weeks of debating i've settled on the 2.0 TDI 184ps 'Black Edition' Version:-

vw_7252.jpg?itok=RPum667L

Probably in those colours also. White Exterior, Black Weels and Black interior with CarPlay optional extra.

Any reason I should run a million miles? (I'm not so concerned about emissions btw!)

Edited by Djemba_Villan

I'm not sure whether its through the NHS as a whole or just my NHS trust employers. Search for cpcdrive. Its a salary sacrifice scheme so it will affect your pension for 3 years, if you're in it that is.

Nice one thanks, will take a look. Just had my '95 pension frozen and that'll be the bulk of my payout, so no biggie if it's salary sacrifice.

11 hours ago, Djemba_Villan said:

Anyone got an opinion on VW Sciroccos?

I've been debating a new hatchback for a while now to upgrade from my trusty Fiesta. Looking at the <~£22k budget on PCP (also looked at £15k cash range) and was debating between an Merc A-Class (A180), Audi A3, Seat Leon SC (Best Value) or the Scirocco.

After weeks and weeks of debating i've settled on the 2.0 TDI 184ps 'Black Edition' Version:-

vw_7252.jpg?itok=RPum667L

Probably in those colours also. White Exterior, Black Weels and Black interior with CarPlay optional extra.

Any reason I should run a million miles? (I'm not so concerned about emissions btw!)

I think they look great.

Never driven one, but one of my best mates has one and he hasn't got a bad word to say about it.

Scirocco is a lovely car. I think the only knock from what I saw was interior space. I tried one out a while ago but went for a golf instead. This was about 6 years ago though so don't know how much the newer ones have changed.

3 hours ago, choffer said:

Scirocco is a lovely car. I think the only knock from what I saw was interior space. I tried one out a while ago but went for a golf instead. This was about 6 years ago though so don't know how much the newer ones have changed.

I took one for a test drive just before I last changed my car (about 14 months ago). At that time I had a Mazda MX5 mk1 which was like a lightweight go cart. The Scirocco seemed really heavy in comparison, and less nippy and agile. Which of course it is. But the VW was well built, comfortable, solid and the only downside really was the view out the rear window was a bit poor.

In the end I got an newer MX5 as the driving contrast for the Scirocco was too stark. Pretty decent car, though.

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

I took one for a test drive just before I last changed my car (about 14 months ago). At that time I had a Mazda MX5 mk1 which was like a lightweight go cart. The Scirocco seemed really heavy in comparison, and less nippy and agile. Which of course it is. But the VW was well built, comfortable, solid and the only downside really was the view out the rear window was a bit poor.

In the end I got an newer MX5 as the driving contrast for the Scirocco was too stark. Pretty decent car, though.

Dont you let your wife pick her own cars? :D ;D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just having a look on auto trader and I'm amazed how cheap Renault Meganes are going for. They are loads on 10 plates with 30/40k on the clock going at about £5k.

No doubt they are cheap for a reason, and I've always heard negative things about French cars but bloody hell these things are cheap. Anyone ever owed one?

On 09/02/2016 at 03:17, V01 said:

I hate this thread, I'm gonna be stuck with my Mondeo forever.

Mate a Mondeo would be an upgrade for me so I feel your pain. :)

Might have bitten off more than I can chew with this project...

F355 Spider, Manual but needs some work. A friend of mine had it sat in her garage for years but really needs some work doing. New interior already put in, engine turns over but needs new coils, cam plus lots of other odds and sods.

Definitely a work in progress along with the 840Ci.

CbrtVAbW0AEHUxN.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/9/2016 at 06:21, leviramsey said:

Next car will probably be

And to go with it, for family hauling, etc.:

And then, with any luck:

(the plug-in hybrid should be available by then)

The other half ran a GMC Terrain for a bit and she loved it. She never had a 'big'car before but soon traded it in for a used Yukon Denali, which is an utter beast.

Thumbs up from me!

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Stan never disappoints :)

Not agreed to this one (yet), but the car is inherently sound, but neglected for a few years.

I remember driving it in 2008/9 or so and it sounded wonderful, but I got razzed off by most things on the road. Cars depreciate pretty quickly over here, so I need to factor in whether or not it's worth more in parts than as an entire car.

The 840 has gone in for a paint job, turning it from Orient Blue to Estoril Blue, if that means anything to anyone. Hope to get some pics soon.

Just now, StanBalaban said:

Not agreed to this one (yet), but the car is inherently sound, but neglected for a few years.

I remember driving it in 2008/9 or so and it sounded wonderful, but I got razzed off by most things on the road. Cars depreciate pretty quickly over here, so I need to factor in whether or not it's worth more in parts than as an entire car.

The 840 has gone in for a paint job, turning it from Orient Blue to Estoril Blue, if that means anything to anyone. Hope to get some pics soon.

Estoril Blue is a great colour for high performance Beamers. A friend of mine once had an Estoril Blue E36 M3 Evo with cream leather... absolutely beautiful

Thanks to you I have been checking out the price of 8 series in the UK. There are about 15 for sale on Autotrader. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Estoril Blue is a great colour for high performance Beamers. A friend of mine once had an Estoril Blue E36 M3 Evo with cream leather... absolutely beautiful

Thanks to you I have been checking out the price of 8 series in the UK. There are about 15 for sale on Autotrader. 

Oh really? They're nowhere near that here. I paid about half that for this one with 100k (kms), so around 60k miles, mechanically sound but a bit rough around the edges cosmetically. Looking to bring it up to code like I did with the 740i I bought, along with a new paint job. I'm hoping to stick some Alpina rims on it too and use it as a proper weekend car.

The Maserati deal fell through as the car had been in front-end smash that wasn't documented. To be fair it was a completely unnecessary purchase so that's probably done me a favour as I've got the truck to get around in day-to-day.

Â