Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I had some wireless headphones bought about 5 years ago, lasted me until now. Brilliant.

Bought some new ones, same brand. They're great but unlike the old ones , they don't shut themselves off after inactivity. You have to remember to click them off after you've used, which after 5 years with the previous pair and just taking them off my head has proven impossible.

5 years of technology advancement and they're worse than the old ones.

They're constantly dead.

There's usually a setting for this in the companion app.

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

my Jay buds died the other week  and the new version is £249  .. I only wear them in the gym so don't really need to chuck that level of money at them 

but likewise I used to finish my work out and forget to turn the poxy things off 

got some JBL ones instead ... rather cunningly the headphones power up when you move the over ear thingy's into place to wear them , and then when you take them off it clicks back into place and turns them off 

and as I'm not Shania Twain , I am pretty impressed by this 

Are you Brad Pitt?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Just the weird shit people are eager to believe because it suits their world view.

We were having a conversation in the office on cars, speeding, and the 20mph speed limit. One guy, a senior individual with excellent technical knowledge and experience and qualifications, informs us that the 20mph in Wales isn’t legal if the sign has been vandalised. I point out that isn’t true, the law is 20mph by default, higher if you see a sign saying its higher.

I’ve pointed out the government websites for Wales and UK state its 20mph by default, not just if you see an un vandalised sign. To which his response is ‘no, that’s not right’.

So he’s right, and the government and the police are wrong and that’s the end of the matter. As far as he’s concerned, if a sign has been vandalised he can then assess and decide what speed he feels is reasonable.

I reckon another 10 minutes and he’ll be telling me that under Magna Carta he’s a free man and not subject to vat.

Does he think he can drive at 70mph down 30mp town streets if the signs from the dual carriageway have all been vandalised?  What a very odd world view.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Does he think he can drive at 70mph down 30mp town streets if the signs from the dual carriageway have all been vandalised?  What a very odd world view.

That was one of the first examples I quoted. But he was quite specific it was only in Wales in 20mph areas where his self assessment rule applies. Apparently it’s because it’s not really a law, but he couldn’t elaborate on that. 

Fascinating when you come across these people that rate Facebook comments by Linda from Hull above what they could actually google on official government websites. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Fascinating when you come across these people that rate Facebook comments by Linda from Hull above what they could actually google on official government websites. 

It's up there with people that insist that stealing tv services is not illegal.

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Just the weird shit people are eager to believe because it suits their world view.

We were having a conversation in the office on cars, speeding, and the 20mph speed limit. One guy, a senior individual with excellent technical knowledge and experience and qualifications, informs us that the 20mph in Wales isn’t legal if the sign has been vandalised. I point out that isn’t true, the law is 20mph by default, higher if you see a sign saying its higher.

I’ve pointed out the government websites for Wales and UK state its 20mph by default, not just if you see an un vandalised sign. To which his response is ‘no, that’s not right’.

So he’s right, and the government and the police are wrong and that’s the end of the matter. As far as he’s concerned, if a sign has been vandalised he can then assess and decide what speed he feels is reasonable.

I reckon another 10 minutes and he’ll be telling me that under Magna Carta he’s a free man and not subject to vat.

I don't know about Wales law , but In English law he is kinda correct I believe

20 mph zones have to have zone entry and zone exit signs , I guess if the first sign was vandalised he would be able to argue that he did not know he had entered such a zone , but there also have to be signs placed every 100m , so someone would have to have vandalised every single sign or he is caught speeding before he passes the second sign  , i think there also has to be traffic calming zones as well , so someone would presumably have had to have dug those up as part of their epic vandalism spree 

but , that zone would automatically be a 30 mph  zone , so his speeding would be limited to 30 mph , any talk of 70 mph seems to be some trouble maker making a frivolous argument :P 

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

When I did my speed awareness course it was very evident who had done a theory test and who hadn't 

The guy mentions street lights and speeds and some people in there absolutely lost their minds 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I don't know about Wales law , but In English law he is kinda correct I believe

20 mph zones have to have zone entry and zone exit signs , I guess if the first sign was vandalised he would be able to argue that he did not know he had entered such a zone , but there also have to be signs placed every 100m , so someone would have to have vandalised every single sign or he is caught speeding before he passes the second sign  , i think there also has to be traffic calming zones as well , so someone would presumably have had to have dug those up as part of their epic vandalism spree 

but , that zone would automatically be a 30 mph  zone , so his speeding would be limited to 30 mph , any talk of 70 mph seems to be some trouble maker making a frivolous argument :P 

If only there was some sort of official www.gov.uk type website that he could refer to that said something clear and unambiguous like

National speed limits

30 miles per hour (48km/h) in England, Scotland or Northern Ireland

20 miles per hour (32km/h) in Wales

Then there wouldn’t be this grey area between the law and what he’s wished for in an angry dream.

46 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

When I did my speed awareness course it was very evident who had done a theory test and who hadn't 

The guy mentions street lights and speeds and some people in there absolutely lost their minds 

I got a gold star on mine for knowing this  :)  ( i seemed to be the only one, but tbh most people just keep their heads down and don't engage , so they could have just been silent Tory types) 

I had it removed a bit later for arguing that speed limits of 30 are too low and should be raised to 40 , it's only cyclists or people too stupid to look before they cross the road that would suffer , so who cares 

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

If only there was some sort of official www.gov.uk type website that he could refer to that said something clear and unambiguous like

Then there wouldn’t be this grey area between the law and what he’s wished for in an angry dream.

which was why I qualified my post with England and not Wales  .. if he crosses the border into the 21st century , then he would be correct 

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

which was why I qualified my post with England and not Wales  .. if he crosses the border into the 21st century , then he would be correct 

Thing is, at 20mph it’s going to take too long to bother leaving the promised land.

It’s actually to try and stop people leaving.

• Haha 1

Â