The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Think about the last 4 years, the hiring of McLeish, the severe cost cutting and the gambling of this clubs future with lack of investment in the last 3 January transfer windows.

And all so a very wealthy man could cut his losses. And you're going to praise that?

In your opinion it's all so a very wealthy man could cut his losses - you could equally argue it's so that a wealthy man could save a football club. I don't think either would be true.

And if it needed saving whose fault was it? The last 4 years have been a disgrace.

Think about the last 4 years, the hiring of McLeish, the severe cost cutting and the gambling of this clubs future with lack of investment in the last 3 January transfer windows.

And all so a very wealthy man could cut his losses. And you're going to praise that?

In your opinion it's all so a very wealthy man could cut his losses - you could equally argue it's so that a wealthy man could save a football club. I don't think either would be true.
And if it needed saving whose fault was it? The last 4 years have been a disgrace.
The last 4 years have been awful, but under MON we had some great players. Couple of Wembley appearances to throw in there as well. We've paid for the over-spending the past couple of seasons, but when Randy goes, on balance, id give him 6/10 Edited by benireduk

I don't blame Lerner for wanting out - he's put a quarter of a billion into the club and we're shit and still hemorrhage money. Can't blame him for not wanting to keep investing in a failing asset. 

• Like 2

Agree with everything said above. A holding statement in which he is not denying the rumours and further muddying the waters by saying they will be addressed in the summer. 2 statements in a week from Lerner, he is turning into Dave Whelan. Can't keep him away at present. It's basically saying ' I am backing Lambert even though we have been shit because key players have been injured and he is happy to work with no money'. So either a outright sale or maybe further investment?

He'll be piping up about Lambert going on to be manager of Real Madrid if he carries on!

Lerner sanctioned MON's wanton spending knowing that only finishing in the top-four (which was never a given) would sustain it. He gambled and it didn't pay off but that doesn't mean he is therefore absolved of the blame for the consequences, which he must've foreseen, of this.

Ultimately he has run the club abysmally and other than improved training facilities, he has left no sort of legacy. Good riddance I say, though fair play to him if he is selling up due to the acceptance that he cannot free the club from it's stagnation.

It will go down in history that deadly Doug was a far superior owner in the premier league. You can't give up half way though your stewardship. He's a rich mans son who got board playing with his toys, and not only that stuck 2 fingers up at its fan base by hiring McLeish.

10th, 6th, 6th, 6th, relegation battle, relegation battle, relegation battle, relegation battle.

6/10?

8 years half of them awful and when awful club record breaking bad.

Yes I said half of them awful. Also remember that Randy did the following

* Bodymoor rebuilt and one of the best training grounds around

* Acorns deal - made me very proud to be a villa fan

* Holte Pub rebuilt

* The 82 team welcomed back to the club after being frozen out under HDE

Just trying to give a balanced view that's all

Bodymoor was mostly built under Ellis, he stopped paying for it when the takeover was going through. acorns was a great idea but cost the club millions as did the Holte pub.

All I care about at the end of the day is the team. And we've now got a worse team then when he took over after investing millions.

Sorry but Ellis did not mostly build Bodymoor. My memory in Ellis final months was that the players had to pay for their own masseurs. Bodymoor will be part of Randy's legacy and nothing to do with Ellis.

The idea of training ground was dougs, and he did start the work but it wasn't even out the ground when he put a stop to it because of costs

It was around 75% built when Doug pulled the plug. It's true Randy probably completed it to a higher speck but It's more Dougs than Randy's IMO.

Lerner sanctioned MON's wanton spending knowing that only finishing in the top-four (which was never a given) would sustain it. He gambled and it didn't pay off but that doesn't mean he is therefore absolved of the blame for the consequences, which he must've foreseen, of this.

I agree with this; he thought that his investment on the playing side would eventually be met with CL football. It would've helped even up the disparity between the club's incomings and outgoings, but it failed and left a financial black hole which then had to be filled.

I also think he (naively) thought that he could grow the club's other revenues streams more than he was able to. I'd imagine he expected bigger crowds more regularly. I know I did: I thought we'd have sell-outs for all of our home games and a waiting list for season tickets. I thought we'd end up needing a vastly expanded VP. It never happened.

We had good attendances during the MON years, but they fell short of that truly needed. There was also a huge resistance to ticket and merchandise price rises.

Any new owner needs to be aware that the old adage of "build it and they will come" has its limitations. They will come, but it'll be gradual, and they'll start only really start coming when trophies are lifted (save a club like Newcastle).

I assume he thought we could build ourselves as out as a global brand, but that was naive too. You can't ram a football club down people's throats. You can't use marketing techniques or clever advertising to attract new business. You might be able to attract disinterested fans back, but creating entirely new customers is a horridly difficult task.

Someone's support of a football is determined by various factors such as local and family ties, heritage, the glory hunting factor, and so on. It's very difficult to influence. The only sure fire way is to win things.

His other biggest mistake was the appointment of Alex McLeish. It was a hiding to nothing, went against the fans wishes (sometimes they DO know best) and made no sense on any level. It will go down as one of the most bizarre appointments in the history of football. It was, IMO, the turning point and one the club hasn't recovered from.

What he hopefully has done is realised that he can't take the club any further and that it's time for him to keep to his promise - to let someone else have a go.

If the projections are correct then he'll leave us both PL and UEFA FFP compliant and we should be breaking even with the injection of the new TV deal. This is a decent foundation from a new owner to build from.

I don't expect us getting anyone with the wealth and connections of a Sheikh Mansour, but I hope we at least get someone who has a proven track record in running and owning a successful sports club.

I hope that person, whoever they are, learn from Randy's mistakes; that they realise the limitations and restrictions they'll be working within; and that they're better than 95% of the owners currently 'trying' to run a PL football club. The list of current owners throws out too many undesirables - Smith, Tan, Sullivan & the Golds, Khan, Glazer, Ashley, Short and Peace et al. Lerner, if you're so inclined to think that way.

I hope we're not about to add yet another one.

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe
  • Like 3

The idea of training ground was dougs, and he did start the work but it wasn't even out the ground when he put a stop to it because of costs

It was around 75% built when Doug pulled the plug. It's true Randy probably completed it to a higher speck but It's more Dougs than Randy's IMO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodymoor_Heath_Training_Ground

75% is being over generous. Yes Doug had the "plan" but Randy delivered it.

It was about 75% built and building had stopped - under Doug it's unlikely it would ever have been completed.

It was about 75% built and building had stopped - under Doug it's unlikely it would ever have been completed.

That wiki states that Randy had to more than double his investment into BMH to finish it. That clearly indicates 75% is grossly overestimated.

Â