Joe Bennett

Si.

Really please for the lad, I have always been in the 'give it time' camp with him. I thought he played really well and I can't think of a mistake he made. The yellow card was deserved but it was never a red despite what that clown Shearer says. its only one game but it proves he has got the ability.

Bennett's problem always was he was thrown in at the deep end and expected to instantly deliver and when he didn't the boo boys on this forum and at the games got on his case. Bit similar to Petrov, Delph and many others. I suspect most of its about confidence and being applauded off rather than phlegm flecked yells of abuse from pissed up 'fans' will have done him a world of good.

Mind you I would lose the 'tash, it makes him look like a spiv.

To be fair Pilchard never came on to retract his comment, even his praise for him is like a back handed compliment.You don't rate him, fair enough, theres current players i don't like, but i hope they prove me wrong.

He played well yday, i prefer Bertrand, but i think Bennett is a much better player than some people on here give him credit for.

Exactly

• Like 1

I think people forget how young and inexperienced at the top level some of our signings are. When Paul Merson signed he said he didn't realise how big Villa were and he had played for Arsenal so imagine getting thrown into a massive club with huge expectation and expected to be brilliant from the off?

He has the makings of a good player and showed that yesterday. I just hope that he keeps progressing. It seems over the last 18 months all of Lamberts singings have been written off at some point but on the whole they have all showed that they have something to offer.

It wouldn't surprise me that all the talk of Bertrand staying at Chelski by Mourinho was just mind games prior to our game.

If Mourinho seriously thought he'd be a part of his squad, Ryan would be there now challenging for the left back role (currently occupied by a RB!)

As for Bennett, maybe that performance will give him a deserved confidence boost as he has been subject of the boo-boys since his arrival at the club.

No, Bertrand will be back in and rightly so sorry

It depends for me. If Lambert believes there is a good chance of us signing Bertand in the summer then given how well he has done since joining us I would then bring him back in against Stoke. However if the indications are that Chelsea want him and have no intention of selling him in the summer then I would rather Bennett was given the chance to continue to build on his confidence following his excellent performance yesterday. It is obviously far more beneficial to us to further develop the player most likely to be with us next season.

couldn't agree more. We are basically safe now imo so focus must now be on next year.

It wouldn't surprise me that all the talk of Bertrand staying at Chelski by Mourinho was just mind games prior to our game.

If Mourinho seriously thought he'd be a part of his squad, Ryan would be there now challenging for the left back role (currently occupied by a RB!)

As for Bennett, maybe that performance will give him a deserved confidence boost as he has been subject of the boo-boys since his arrival at the club.

In fairness that RB is keeping Cole out the team, so it's not as if they are playing Azpil out of position because of a lack of options or quality. I think he's now a full back who can play on either side, rather than a right back. I remember him playing LB quite a few times for Marseille as well. 

Oh, and on topic, Bennett was quality yesterday. If Betrand does come back in Bennett at least deserves an explanation from Lambert. 

If we cannot sign Bertrand, then after yesterday's performance, provided it was not a one off, we may be able to use Bennett in the left back position.

And as some posters have said, might be better to give him a run now to see how he does.

He would certainly seem to have at least cemented his place as back up in lieu of Luna.

I must say the stick this boy has took....he has some constitution.

I have seen Tommy Johnson Physically sick on the pitch... this lad seems to just take it in his stride, nothing seems to faze him.

despite some of the howlers he has had, which would reduce some players to  a withering wreck, he comes back with a performance like that.

There is something about this lad that i can't help but like.

I think its because he is a TRIER....simple as.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Hopefully, during their post-match drink, Lambert will have asked Mourinho what the likelihood is that they will let Bertrand go permanently. If he says no chance, then we can continue playing Bennett.

I must say the stick this boy has took....he has some constitution.

I have seen Tommy Johnson Physically sick on the pitch... this lad seems to just take it in his stride, nothing seems to faze him.

despite some of the howlers he has had, which would reduce some players to  a withering wreck, he comes back with a performance like that.

There is something about this lad that i can't help but like.

I think its because he is a TRIER....simple as.

A trier with a very good left foot. Boost his confidence and there's a decent footballer in there

There is no right or wrong decision here.

I am of the opinion the "if its not broke, don't fix it" regardless of Bertrams future. Think its wrong to pick a side on the strength of future decisions regarding players.

Bennett played a blinder-What kind of a signal does it send out if you're dropped after a performance like that. My only reservation would be that Stoke mix it a little more heavily than Chelsea do but I'd still go with Bennett.

I would never change a winning team other than exceptional circumstances-I appreciate football has moved on from this mentality but for me, its Bennetts place to loose.

No, Bertrand will be back in and rightly so sorry

It depends for me. If Lambert believes there is a good chance of us signing Bertand in the summer then given how well he has done since joining us I would then bring him back in against Stoke. However if the indications are that Chelsea want him and have no intention of selling him in the summer then I would rather Bennett was given the chance to continue to build on his confidence following his excellent performance yesterday. It is obviously far more beneficial to us to further develop the player most likely to be with us next season.

I agree with this...I've been told from a friend of someone at Southampton that Luke Shaw is going to Chelsea (and Lilana to Man Utd fwiw) is going to happen in the summer, so I do believe Bertrand will leave.

Â