Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

13 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

I did not know that. So is it moisture that makes meat go off? Very interesting this.

Sort of.

Meat goes off through a few avenues, the main ones being bacteria, mould and oxidation. Bacteria need moisture to survive, without that the vast majority will die or be unable to infect the meat. Mould is similar, though iirc they are able to survive in much drier environments, though again in a completely dry environment they'll struggle to take. Oxidation is a chemical process that you can't truly halt, but again with a dried meat it's greatly slowed.

Historically meat was salted to dry it but salt also alters the chemical makeup of the meat in a manner that also makes it harder for bacteria and mould to survive. Other types of preservation work similarly, pickling, spicing in some respects, etc.

Nothing lasts forever of course but in theory you can keep a lot of dried meats for very long times, especially if you keep it in optimal conditions, and all that would realistically happen would it would slowly, potentially very slowly, lose it's quality. Realistically it would eventually go off, it'll eventually gain enough moisture from the air or have things like fats go rancid, or (much less likely) it desiccates entirely.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

@tonyh29 might know the answer to this

why have they not done apple coke yet?

ha funny you mention this .. I did a quote yesterday on some new flavours for Pepsi Max  (sadly I'm not at liberty to reveal those flavours , its not James Bond stuff but I have to be careful disclosing potentially sensitive stuff ... someone (not me :) ) leaked info once and a competitor beat my client to launch )

but I said to the client in our discussions,  I've mixed Pepsi Max with Apple before and its the nuts and you should look into it  

that said , I think Coke did launch an apple flavour  back in 2018 but only in Japan 

• Like 1

I'm sure there's been Apple flavoured Coke in the UK before, didn't they have a little phase of releasing loads of  'quirky' flavours around a World Cup or something? 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Looks like he's transferred to another forum. For FFP reasons I guess. Or PFF as Dem would say :( 

Am sure I've seen him on H&V recently. 

On 12/04/2024 at 00:28, T-Dog said:

I'm sure there's been Apple flavoured Coke in the UK before, didn't they have a little phase of releasing loads of  'quirky' flavours around a World Cup or something? 

I can't remember it, never seen it on like the fancy machines they have in burger king or 5 guys either 

Â