Refugee crisis

StefanAVFC

Scratching around to work out where to put refugees is ultimately just arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic imo.

Socially, economically and politically we've got things so completely wrong at the moment, and the refugee crisis is a symptom of that.

Obvously population pressure is the main underlying cause, but even this could be made less of a problem by improving wealth distribution and education worldwide. Unfortunately the powerful people in the world are either rich people wanting to get richer or politicians wanting to make things look sweet for the length of their term of office, so there's no real powerful driver for addressing the real problems. Maybe things were ever thus, but with 7 billion people on the planet now the margin for error is much smaller.

The thing is the UK pays the second highest amount in foreign aid in the world yet it never seems to get through to nearly enough people to help them out.  When there are batshit evil pricks running riot in the Middle East then there's nothing you can really do except ultimately try to annihilate them.  Then history repeats itself.  Perhaps if the EU could come to some sort of agreement to allow temporary controls over freedom of movement within the EU, then it would be easier to redistribute refugees as at the moment the UK population is adding a new city's worth of people each year already.

The majority of foreign aid is military aid - we take money from the general public through the collection of taxes, we then give it foreign countries who buy our very expensive fighter jets and the money ends up in the hands of a few very rich industrialists. Annihilating our customer base isn't a solution. 

I'm a bit sceptical about the aid money for arms claim there mate, do you have any data or links to show that? I know from experience that DfID money is very tightly regulated.

I think the fact that the world cares more about dead lion than a dead child sums it up for me.  We're screwed, and it's only going to get worse.

This might sound like a really bad question.  I honestly don't know the answer, or the full in's and out's of what happened back then.  But was life in Syria/Iraq etc this bad when Sadaam and co in charge ?  There wasn't mass immigration then was there?

Surely it's worse now under ISIS rule ?

Reading an article on the Telegraph site made me a bit cross. The article itself (The 'refugees welcome' fad will do more harm than good)is of some concern but the comments underneath it, truly staggered me. I genuinely do not come into contact with people who hold these sort of views. I know it's the internet but I felt ashamed that people in this country could even begin to have such beliefs. As few selected lowlights:

This is an invasion that is so stealthy even the people who are supposed to insure our protection either can't see it or are so frightened of being called a racist that they are frozen like a rabbit in headlights. These people mean us harm and to wipe our Christian system of belief, values and morals off the face of the planet. They hate us.

When Isil has its beach head in the UK. Don't say I didn't give due warning.

They are jihadists, not refugees. Anyone offering their home to one so called refugee is helping the enemy.

I detest muslim women and children as much as the men.

I hope they get gang-raped by their new found 'friends'. That would be a big welcome to Reality...

I do not agree with what he did, but I now understand what drove Anders Breivik so nuts about the left.

Of course, the inconvenient truth is that all these people we far better off under white colonial rule.

Muslims are behind this false movement.

Edited by choffer

Indeed. A bunch of sad and lonely individuals dressed in their mums knickers pretending to be controversial on an internet forum. 

Oh....wait..... we're discussing the Torygraph comments? 

• Like 1

I think the fact that the world cares more about dead lion than a dead child sums it up for me.  We're screwed, and it's only going to get worse.

This might sound like a really bad question.  I honestly don't know the answer, or the full in's and out's of what happened back then.  But was life in Syria/Iraq etc this bad when Sadaam and co in charge ?  There wasn't mass immigration then was there?

Surely it's worse now under ISIS rule ?

I suspect it was no different but back then a strong dictator just did what he wanted and killed people at will and nobody knew  ..or cared  ..ditto Libya 

remove that dictator and you get a power vacuum  , coupled with all the other troubles in that area and you are asking for trouble  .... Turkey have exploited the situation and got US approval to bomb the Kurdish PKK  ( well more to the point they didn't get approval but tricked the US into agreeing  ..Turkey 1 USA 0 )

It's probably telling that the US have made friends with Iran about now , that probably tells you all you need to know about how this will eventually play out ..guess we worry about what comes next once Iran  have taken care of ISIS  ...  Bahrain which is Iran  (Shiite) in everything but name should be interesting  in about 3 or 4 years time  

Those Telegraph comments are awful, but they're the result of a decade of lowering that paper's standards to the level of those trolls. It used to be a good, well-written newspaper that I disagreed with, now it's just toilet paper, especially the Comment section. 

Reading an article on the Telegraph site made me a bit cross. The article itself (The 'refugees welcome' fad will do more harm than good)is of some concern but the comments underneath it, truly staggered me. I genuinely do not come into contact with people who hold these sort of views. I know it's the internet but I felt ashamed that people in this country could even begin to have such beliefs. As few selected lowlights:

This is an invasion that is so stealthy even the people who are supposed to insure our protection either can't see it or are so frightened of being called a racist that they are frozen like a rabbit in headlights. These people mean us harm and to wipe our Christian system of belief, values and morals off the face of the planet. They hate us.

When Isil has its beach head in the UK. Don't say I didn't give due warning.

They are jihadists, not refugees. Anyone offering their home to one so called refugee is helping the enemy.

I detest muslim women and children as much as the men.

I hope they get gang-raped by their new found 'friends'. That would be a big welcome to Reality...

I do not agree with what he did, but I now understand what drove Anders Breivik so nuts about the left.

Of course, the inconvenient truth is that all these people we far better off under white colonial rule.

Muslims are behind this false movement.

Anonymity can really bring out the worst in people, or their true colors if you please. The internet is a (wonderful) place where we're, in a sense, enjoying the same benefits of any given central bank in terms of non-accountability. 

• Like 1

Bloody foreigners coming over here with all their lovely food and drink, cultural influences, arts and crafts and good labour ethics.

You've obviously never been to Syria and know about it's heavy French influence  that negates all of the items from your list ....

Bloody foreigners coming over here with all their lovely food and drink, cultural influences, arts and crafts and good labour ethics.

You've obviously never been to Syria and know about it's heavy French influence  that negates all of the items from your list ....

Haha, I've barely been out of Wolverhampton for five years in all fairness, probably the least culturally aware place in the history of man.

Â