Refugee crisis

StefanAVFC

One possibility what they could've done is to form military force/unit combined with the humanitarian aid from the european nations and taken it to where the migrants are and taken care of them there, process the applications for the assylum there and then prioritize those who needs it the most. That isn't without its own problems but I think that, or something similar would have been better solution than "Let's let everyone who wants in and then figure out what we're gonna do with them".

To where and when would this combined military and civilian force to deal with several million people have gone?

All of refugee camps in Turkey, Jordan, Iraq, Lebanon, &c.? I'm not sure a deployment of western military (I'm guessing to keep people in those camps by force?) in all of those areas would just have 'had it's own problems', would it? It's not as though there is one exit from Syria and all of the fleeing people are lined up, idly queueing to leave.

Even if all or any of your suggestion had been possible, that hasn't happened and we are where we are now so to academically discuss what may have been done months or more ago in order to prevent the present situation is rather pointless and seems more to do with pinning blame on someone that hasn't foreseen the future that perhaps not many of the rest of us foresaw either.

FWIW, I don't know what the solution is (or even if there is one) but I'm more than a little concerned over a Europe where individual countries see it as in their best interests to reinforce borders, build fences and walls and play a form of 'bugger thy neighbour' over the situation. European nations getting shirty over borders doesn't normally end well.

Edited by snowychap

• 1 year later...

On the occasion of the death of Michael Bond, creator of Paddington Bear, Radio 5 managed to give life to the concept of "dumbing down" by linking it with a piece about lost property.

The concept was of course about refugees.

There's an interesting blog using this as a way of illustrating the way our immigration rules work in practice, written by someone who engages with the system daily.

Papieren, bitte!

Law is pretty abstract. Unlike the role of a doctor or a builder, that of a lawyer is difficult to explain to a young mind. When my children eventually ask me about what I do when I “work” (confusingly simultaneously a place I seem to go to and a thing I do at home; either takes me away from them) my plan is to explain that I help strangers from far off places find new homes. Like Paddington Bear...

• Like 1

Â