Tiago Ilori

Demitri_C

Yep it's absolutely the key to it. The only (very remote) scenario where it burns us if it becomes an Alderweireld situation where the player does unbelievably better than the agreed fee during his loan spell and the owner club says f*ck that and sells him to the highest bidder.

I hadn't thought of that scenario, I suppose it could backfire if that were the case... But he'd have to do pretty well in one year for that to happen so fingers crossed we do well out of this one.

Richards, Okore and Clark are all injury prone, so it won't hurt to get a good cb in to add more depth to the squad. I reckon thats what Sherwood is thinking. Can't see him starting for us, maybe he'll play as a bit part player for us.

Clark, injury prone? He's probably the only one of our CBs in recent years who hasn't been injury prone.

Also, I still don't buy this idea that Okore is injury prone - I think he's just had a really hard time getting over that original injury he had.

Has Clark ever been fit the whole season. He got injured last year, and the year before that? I seem to remember. He gets niggling injuries throughout the season so will need to be replaced at some point in the short term. Okore again has injuries throughout last season and he's injured now so again needs replacing in the short term. Think that's why we've signed 2 centre backs.

Richards, Okore and Clark are all injury prone, so it won't hurt to get a good cb in to add more depth to the squad. I reckon thats what Sherwood is thinking. Can't see him starting for us, maybe he'll play as a bit part player for us.

Clark, injury prone? He's probably the only one of our CBs in recent years who hasn't been injury prone.

Also, I still don't buy this idea that Okore is injury prone - I think he's just had a really hard time getting over that original injury he had.

Has Clark ever been fit the whole season. He got injured last year, and the year before that? I seem to remember. He gets niggling injuries throughout the season so will need to be replaced at some point in the short term. Okore again has injuries throughout last season and he's injured now so again needs replacing in the short term. Think that's why we've signed 2 centre backs.

Signed 3 and got rid of Vlaar and Baker

Richards isn't a RB anymore.

The way I see it is: Richards/Ilori right centre halfs & Clark/Lescott left sided. Senderos clearly finished here but it does leave a huge question mark over Okore.

Is his injury(s) going recovery longer that first thought/is there something there that can reoccur...does Sherwood even rate him? Time will certainly tell.

I don't think we has as much CB cover as others seem to think before this signing. Clark is a bit injury prone, Lescott is VERY injury prone and getting on, Okore is always injured and I genuinely think his time is running out at this club already, Baker is out on loan and we've got Richards as the only real consistently 'there' CB. This signing makes perfect sense to me and with the option to buy this could be a masterstroke. If not then no harm done.

I know everyone wanted a striker but it's not as if we have foregone getting a striker as a sacrifice for tying up this loan.

I don't think we has as much CB cover as others seem to think before this signing. Clark is a bit injury prone, Lescott is VERY injury prone and getting on, Okore is always injured and I genuinely think his time is running out at this club already, Baker is out on loan and we've got Richards as the only real consistently 'there' CB. This signing makes perfect sense to me and with the option to buy this could be a masterstroke. If not then no harm done.

I know everyone wanted a striker but it's not as if we have foregone getting a striker as a sacrifice for tying up this loan.

Are we really going to pay £6m for a 22 year old who has never featured in even the most modest Liverpool defence ?  - Probably not - I doubt he will get many games here, probably at a similar level to Clark \ Baker.

Ive been saying a while Okore is massively over rated on here, I thought he would go in the summer, obviously the injury put pay to that, but I think his time as first choice CB here is coming to a close. 

Are we really going to pay £6m for a 22 year old who has never featured in even the most modest Liverpool defence ?  - Probably not - I doubt he will get many games here, probably at a similar level to Clark \ Baker.

Ive been saying a while Okore is massively over rated on here, I thought he would go in the summer, obviously the injury put pay to that, but I think his time as first choice CB here is coming to a close.

It's not unprecedented that a defender rarely used by one club goes for relatively decent money and becomes a revelation elsewhere. We did it ourselves with Cahill (£5m reserve to Bolton) and even in the extreme case, Barca took a rarely-used Piqué from United for ~£7m. Sometimes clubs don't know what they've got even when it's sitting under their nose.
  • Like 1

Yep it's absolutely the key to it. The only (very remote) scenario where it burns us if it becomes an Alderweireld situation where the player does unbelievably better than the agreed fee during his loan spell and the owner club says f*ck that and sells him to the highest bidder.

I hadn't thought of that scenario, I suppose it could backfire if that were the case... But he'd have to do pretty well in one year for that to happen so fingers crossed we do well out of this one.
I believe with Alderweireld, compensation still had to be agreed to remove the right to buy clause, otherwise it is simply breach of contract, isn't it?

And also, the player must have wanted to sign elsewhere.

This is a potential problem for us as he could be tapped up to go elsewhere. I doubt the loan contract would include details of a permanent contract for the player, so he could always reject whatever we offer.

I"m confusing myself now!

We won't know until it happens, so lets hope he has a good season and leave the fall out and what ifs until then...

I believe with Alderweireld, compensation still had to be agreed to remove the right to buy clause, otherwise it is simply breach of contract, isn't it?

And also, the player must have wanted to sign elsewhere.

This is a potential problem for us as he could be tapped up to go elsewhere. I doubt the loan contract would include details of a permanent contract for the player, so he could always reject whatever we offer.

I"m confusing myself now!

We won't know until it happens, so lets hope he has a good season and leave the fall out and what ifs until then...

We never got a definitive public conclusion to the Southampton compensation side of things and what we did read was Atlético basically giving them the 2 fingers.  It is possible that all they got was a **** you in the end.  But yes, going back to my OP, I did say it is a very remote scenario.

So if that's true, we're developing another team's player at a position where we're loaded and there's not even the guarantee of a sale.

I'm going to say bullshit on this. We wouldn't accept on those terms.

Didn't Alderweireld openly state he wanted to play for Spurs?

So all he needed to do was say to Southampton when/if they met the buy clause was no.

Yeah I suppose that's possible, but that also makes the option to buy very ropey from Southampton's point of view.  Almost not worth the paper it's written on.

Didn't Alderweireld openly state he wanted to play for Spurs?

So all he needed to do was say to Southampton when/if they met the buy clause was no.

Yeah I suppose that's possible, but that also makes the option to buy very ropey from Southampton's point of view.  Almost not worth the paper it's written on.

I think we know that to be the case anyway though right? No footballer can be made to go to another team if they don't want to.

For all we know Alderweireld's intention all along was to put himself in the shop window for other Premier League clubs.

At the end of his loan, no matter that there is an agreed buyout clause in place for him, Ilori does not have to accept our terms. He can go back to Liverpool if they want him and if he wants to go to them. In that scenario, they would obviously be a more attractive proposition.

All this is based on the assumption that he even sees the field for Villa.  Which is not set in stone.  I now see Richards (captain) and Lescott as the No1 CBs, with Clark, Okore (when healthy), and Llori all battling for the No3 CB slot(s).

For all we know this kid might be a bench warmer all season, regardless of how 'highly rated' he may be.  I'm sure Lescott didn't come here to sit the bench either, and we are not going to bench our captain.

Â