Ratings and Reactions: Villa v Sunderland

limpid

I'm starting to get very annoyed with the amount of opposition supporters that have ended up in the home end this season. That's three in a row that there's been at least two near me.

If more of our own fans bothered to go to Villa Park for games against non top 4 teams we wouldn't have that problem
7k down on our opening home game against Utd, way too many fair weather fans at villa who only turn up for the top teams and when we are doing well. We are well known for it in the football world, also atmosphere was terrible again but I suppose with the last 6 years of awful football it's killed the place.

Bank holiday weekend too don't forget, I was away for the weekend guessing many others were too, I'm also guessing the club treated it like any other game whereas they should have treated like the bank holiday game that it was, family ticket deals, fun day, stuff in the car park etc proper family day out

Was at the game and just watched it back in full. Overall a frustrating result. On another day we would have won comfortably but some mistakes meant it wasnt our day. A few concerning aspects and some real positives too. Still a team in development but we need to start picking up victories even though the team is still gelling.

Guzan - 6 - A fairly quiet day, no chance with either goal. Felt his positioning was good as he swept up a couple of times well. Distribution still a bit iffy in the second half.

Hutton - 6 - The RB debate carries on. Thought he looked pretty decent overall with poor end product. I feel a lot calmer with him there defensively but ultimatley his crossing is poor and has always been his weakness. For me though he edges Bacuna and would be my regular started. RB high on next years summer transfer list.

Richards - 8 - Very commanding performance. Strong, quick, monstrous in air and assured in possession. A couple of excellent interceptions that got us on the front foot second half. Unlucky not to get a goal.

Clark - 6 - I thought other than their goal he did fine. I'm not going to have kitten about it as others have in the Clark thread but he loses a point because he was a fault. It wasnt a mega error as with Amavi in last game but he should have done better.

Amavi - 7 - Didnt actually think it was his best game. Caught out a few times in possession which left us exposed defensively. However did a number of good things going forward and was rewarded with an assist. A mixed bag but more good than bad.

Sanchez - 8 - MOTM - Thought he was really really excellent throughout. Very strong in the tackle, good reading of the game and passing was accurate and consistent. Always looking forward. Best performance for us so far.

Westwood - 7 - Another good performance, got through a huge amount of work and looked sharp throughout. I wonder whether he is creative enough or has enough goal threat to be a really top box to box player however he nearly scored in this game so maybe he can adapt that part of his game.

Gueye - 7 - As with Westwood a good overall performance without the final touch to make it a really top one. A lovely turn to put Amavi through for the second goal. Created a couple of shooting chances for himself which he should have done better with. Very good work rate, good link up play, a couple of good interceptions.

Bacuna - 4 - I really felt he was a fish out of water. His positioning was all over the place and when he did get on the ball he didnt have the technique to create anything in advanced areas of the pitch. Really poor selection from TS for me, was obvious from min 1 it wasnt going to work.

Sinclair - 8 - Another couple of goals and another game which shows his happy knack for being in the right place at the right time. General play was sound without being dazzling but as long as he getting on the end of things he is a great asset.

Gestede - 6 - Really struggled in the first half. His movement is abysmal but I get the impression that is just a limitation we are going to have to except. Last 20 mins as we dominated he actually got himself much more into it. Had a header just wide, a knock down for Westwood chance and nicely rolled defender but then poorly screwed his shot wide. A work in progress.

-

Subs

Gil - 7 - Made a huge difference when he came on and we really dominated the game threreafter. Should have finished the chance rather than try to round the keeper which was a costly error. I hope it was only fitness than meant he didnt start otherwise it was a baffling decision.

Â