Jordan Ayew

HeyAnty

He's had an idiot called Gabby playing with him for 2 games, drop Gabby bring in Grealish, drop Westwood for Traore, and play Gestede up front with Ayew just off him, Veretout and Gueye as holding midfielders. I think playing with width will help him.

So Ayew's lack of fitness and sharpness is to be blamed on Gabby?

You can see he has talent, but he is way off the pace in the Premier League, needs to be much quicker thinking and more instinctive, he wont have time to dwell on the ball like he thinks he can. Needs a total rethink but at least you can see its there somewhere - they will coach him to success I am sure of it. For me he showed more than Gabby yesterday.

• Like 1

I think when Grealish and Adama are ready, he will head to the bench. He's young and needs time. I just hope he doesnt throw a tantrum at being 2nd string, because he is well off the pace at the present time.

Can't level at him that he is young and learning to then replace him with two players who are younger and played less professional games.

However I do agree that after a few more games a spell on the bench will do him good so he can't analyse and learn from the games. Personally I see ayew and Gestede as our central striker options. Ayew is a nuisance who can turn and take a player out of a game but if he's doing that on the wing he will use his running to move into defensive positions away from the goal and any trickery will leave him with 1 or 2 more players to out wit. Put him near the goal and he will terrorise defenders and when receiving the ball he's got the ability to make space for a shot.

Takes up similar positions and seems to have a similar playstyle to Agbonlahor.

I really don't like having both of them on the pitch...

.. but since Ayew is already the better "Gabby" (imo) after 2 games and not completely fit, I know who I'd drop (Agbonlahor, in case you were wondering ;) )

• Like 1

We've been sold a dud here, I think. Already got friends who keep telling me we got the wrong Ayew.

A dud? Christ we're 2 games in! Give him a bit of time to settle for crying out loud

Nah you do know that to some unless he is class from the get go he's crap and should be sold. That's one thing some 'fans' lack -patience and an understanding. Needs time and he'll come good.

I think he'll take a fair bit of time to get going.

In the first half he was poor, looked isolated (so not all his fault), but negative on the ball and quite lazy, didn't really put 100% effort into closing down their back line. In the second half he was better, especially when moved deeper, he looked more confident and showed some nice touches and did some half decent things on the ball. But then, he didn't always make the right decision and at times dwelled on the ball too long. 

Ultimately he needs to find his best position here, get a lot fitter/sharper and become more consistent and clinical in possession. It's clear that he has some talent, has nice touches, likes to play nice little passes and then move into space, he's also good in the air and has 'natural spring'.

But ultimately I was disappointed in him for large parts of the game, he just wasn't doing enough, he really wasn't much of a threat to them at all, he was easily contained by their defence. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

The Dr sums it up to a tee there. Needs time which he will get from the manager and back room staff but not I fear from some 'in the know' who can tell from the first game or two. Glad there are some who can see the talent and the rawness. He will come good. Given time he will become better. And to those who said we got the wrong ayew- the other one is older so not surprised he's better (at the moment).

All the scouting reports said he would be like he has been so far, frustrating but raw talent

Needs a defined roll. In a forward 2 alongside gestede I think he will be better.

He's getting better. Towards the end of the game yesterday he was making runs and trying to get involved. I think to this point he's let the moment get to him and the games have passed him by. He seemed to get used to the awe of playing in the best league in the world by the end of the match, hopefully by next Saturday he'll be the player or close to the player we expected when we signed him. 

He had absolutely no support from an utterly useless Gabby and a midfield that point blank refused to run beyond him.

We really do need to wait and see what happens when our number 10's return.

yep...and when Veretout settles. This seems to be a strong part of his game when he was in France.

Â