What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

Based solely on the shite I've gone through with the soon to be leaving us Freelander 2, I will never buy another car from JLR. 

Its a lovely car to drive..... like a big cosy heated leather sofa that gets you from A to B but....

1. The rear diff blew up after 25k miles - known (but not advertised) fault with Freelanders of that age. 
  2. Its on its 3rd set of keys because the battery dies and the ignition doesn't charge them properly.
  3. The wiring is fried.
  4. Parking sensors that don't work in the rain
  5. General build quality is poor.
  6. Steering lock active warning came on at 70pmh on the motorway (happily the steering lock itself didn't) 

To be fair most of the above faults happened outside of the 3 year warranty and JLR have picked up the bill for most of it anyway.... but its a massive ballache a) for something to go wrong and B) to have the hassle of sorting it and arguing about getting it sorted and whos going to pay. 

I want to get in the car and for it just to work and that simply hasn't been the case. I can't fault the customer service or the vehicle itself when it works, on its day its amazing. But like Stephen Ireland himself, his day doesn't come round often enough for my liking. 

Edited by Eames

I'd agree with you Eames, we've got a Discovery 4, and it's had so many annoying problems with things just not being made properly, as I think I've said before, eg

1) Parking sensors not working properly.  They never work in the rain, but also in the dry they are intermittent.

2) The keyless entry is very hit and miss.  It's supposed to sense when a key is inside so you can't lock it from the outside, but again this is extremely intermittent.

3) Dashboard that comes up with random warnings which half the time turn out to be untrue.

4) Plastic panels covering the windscreen struts that came off when driving over 50mph

Still, it's a nice safe car for my wife to cart the kids around in, and it is actually very good indeed when I take it off road.

I compare it to my old BMW M3 though, where precisely nothing went wrong in 3 years of owning it.

and it is actually very good indeed when I take it off road.

I hardly think that's the idea of a 4x4  , they are only designed to take1 child to school and block 2 spaces in Waitrose car park when you park across the white lines

• Like 1

and it is actually very good indeed when I take it off road.

I hardly think that's the idea of a 4x4  , they are only designed to take1 child to school and block 2 spaces in Waitrose car park when you park across the white lines

Well, I have three kids, and Waitrose doesn't exist over here so ner! ;)

• Like 1

Strange al these complaints about JLR vehicles.

My Rover 75 diesel is 13 years old in June. Everything still works like when it came off the line. Doesn't need water or oil topping up for months at a time. 140k miles and still sounds like new. Best car I've ever had by far

I think with the newer cars Rob they try and cram too much gadgetry in, and the build quality suffers.  My first ever company car was a Rover 214i.  Bloody loved that car.

....Waitrose doesn't exist over here ...

OMG. your poor things. How absolutely awful. How do you manage without Umbrian oak aged balsamic vinegar? Where do you get you artisan bread and truffle oils? I knew it was a bit, er, backwards on the IOM, but not so frightfully deprived as that.
  • Like 1

OMG. your poor things. How absolutely awful. How do you manage without Umbrian oak aged balsamic vinegar? Where do you get you artisan bread and truffle oils? I knew it was a bit, er, backwards on the IOM, but not so frightfully deprived as that.

Where the hell do they get their Nippon Ant Powder on the IOM?

Seriously, I went in to our local Waitrose yesterday evening and what do you reckon their 'wow!' display was at the entrance?

Had they taken the Tesco initiative and gone with Valentines Day cards and tat? Nooooo.

Had they taken the Morrisons idea and put a display of herbs out with misted water spraying over them? Nooooo.

They've gone their own way. Floor to ceiling shelving for a very impressive display of I'd estimate about 100 cannisters of Nippon Ant Powder.

I'm no retail guru, but I'd have thought that'll be a hard sell in mid January. 

Where the hell do they get their Nippon Ant Powder on the IOM?

Seriously, I went in to our local Waitrose yesterday evening and what do you reckon their 'wow!' display was at the entrance?

Had they taken the Tesco initiative and gone with Valentines Day cards and tat? Nooooo.

Had they taken the Morrisons idea and put a display of herbs out with misted water spraying over them? Nooooo.

They've gone their own way. Floor to ceiling shelving for a very impressive display of I'd estimate about 100 cannisters of Nippon Ant Powder.

I'm no retail guru, but I'd have thought that'll be a hard sell in mid January. 

maybe they are expecting a spate of Japanese tourists in town and saw an opportunity  ...

You don't know the half of it.  There are 80mph storm force winds at the moment, so the boat hasn't sailed.  The upshot of which is.........no Marks and Spencers sandwiches tomorrow.

Oh the humanity!

• Like 2

You don't know the half of it.  There are 80mph storm force winds at the moment, so the boat hasn't sailed.  The upshot of which is.........no Marks and Spencers sandwiches tomorrow.

Oh the humanity!

OMG - It's worse than I thought.

Those simpletons, they're so funny, they don't even know how to make a sandwich with their simple tools of rocks, mainly. Actually, just rocks and a bit of driftwood they found and worship as a God.

Clearly the IoM is so trapped in a timewarp that the technology needed to make a sandwich is just seen as totally fantastical, like a science-fiction type thing as space agey as hoverpants and other such technologies like wot we have on the mainland and use everyday and which long since replaced the car. Oh yes.

You haven't missed anything as nowt happened. All the newspapers were just blank pages, apart from a french one that had a rude cartoon in it, but sold 5 million copies - presumably because it was the only one with any content - just the cartoon, and a small item on "storms in the Irish sea, UK cut off from IoM. Sandwiches rotting in docks"

• 3 weeks later...

The Balaban garage just took on a 'new' recruit this week in the form of a 2006 Jaguar XJR. Always fancied a proper Jag and this silver one popped-up and took my fancy, so I took a punt on it.  Took in to the garage and it needs about £3k worth of work to bring it into tip-top shape, but I got it at a very low price so I'm still reasonably happy.

IMG_217820794505835.jpeg

Going to have to do a bit of a reshuffle soon. The E-Class is on a lease through my company and is due to return soon, so I may use the Jag as a daily conveyance. The Mrs will keep her RS5 but I'm contemplating moving the old Porsche on in exchange for something a bit more exotic.

Let's see if this plan pans out...

I hate you

• Like 1

Â