What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

About 5 or 6 weeks ago I swapped my lease car, like for like, I’m very adventurous.

The guy that picked up the old one told me there was a scratch across two panels at the rear of the car. This was news to me so I went out to have a look. There was a slight mark or line, clearly not a permanent scratch, which I removed by rubbing it with my thumb.

He said it was too late, he’d filed his report but if I wanted to I could dispute it. As it was a £220 ‘fine’ for the scratch, yes I disputed it.

VW Finance have just phoned, and asked me what I thought the charge was for as they were ‘independently’ looking at the photos he submitted and they couldn’t see what he was on about! I agreed, they agreed. They cancelled the charge and apologised and also added he wasn’t even on a commission or anything so they weren’t sure what he was thinking.

Far easier result than I’d expected, but very welcome.

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

About 5 or 6 weeks ago I swapped my lease car, like for like, I’m very adventurous.

The guy that picked up the old one told me there was a scratch across two panels at the rear of the car. This was news to me so I went out to have a look. There was a slight mark or line, clearly not a permanent scratch, which I removed by rubbing it with my thumb.

He said it was too late, he’d filed his report but if I wanted to I could dispute it. As it was a £220 ‘fine’ for the scratch, yes I disputed it.

VW Finance have just phoned, and asked me what I thought the charge was for as they were ‘independently’ looking at the photos he submitted and they couldn’t see what he was on about! I agreed, they agreed. They cancelled the charge and apologised and also added he wasn’t even on a commission or anything so they weren’t sure what he was thinking.

Far easier result than I’d expected, but very welcome.

Audi tried to charge Mrs Sidcow for some wear and tear on an immaculate car she returned to them after 4 years.

She pointed out that with lockdown and whatnot it was 20,000 miles short of the estimated mileage and they could do one.  They did one.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

About 40 seconds in he suggests he’s going to be comparing the EV with a car that has a clean internal combustion engine, which later turns out to be a 3 litre diesel in a car capable of 150mph. He’s probably just got a different definition of ‘clean’ to me.

We’re all conditioned to compare cars on their speed performance, 150mph and 0 to 60 in 4.8 seconds. Well that’s great, but that’s not representative of much of my commute route. Hopefully soon we’ll be forced in to putting a higher importance on cost to charge, speed of charging, range.

Yes, I want my car to safely pull out of a junction with a bit of pep. We really really don’t need to be able to get to 60mph in 4.8 seconds and we certainly don’t need to be able to do 150mph. Those are stats for the monkey brain.

Completely agree. I always used to pay most attention to 0-60 mph. Driving an EV means that you know you have the power available all the time, should you need it, so pulling out of a junction and placing your car between a line of cars going 50 mph is very easy because of full control of speed.

My EV is much faster than my gas cars were. However, I drive slower because I want to save electricity and thereby save money.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

That's been the way forever.

Why buy a new Fiesta Popular when you can get a second hand Cortina Ghia for the same price?

Popular Plus please! I'm not a base model billy! :) 

Dacia have done good. Cheap, EV and not awful looking. Plus its not Chinese. It'll sell well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Built in China

On the plus side, this should mean that 6 months later there will be a car from the adjoining factory called the Spacia Dring and it’ll cost £9,999 but the doors will be made from turkey foil.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

On the plus side, this should mean that 6 months later there will be a car from the adjoining factory called the Spacia Dring and it’ll cost £9,999 but the doors will be made from turkey foil.

While harvesting your data and transmitting it back to the CCP

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Check the BYD seagull

spacer.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Buys a £2k MG ZR. It's quite a good one on paper, early, low mileage, top spec. But it's an MG ZR, a 23 year old one, that's sat for a while. As an enthusiast, wants one to save, as it turns out basically all of these MG editions of those 90s Rovers are gone. Gets a company to look it over. £13k minimum to repair, as it's basically **** in every respect below the windows bar the engine.

Mad.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Never buy a car in...

:(

Probably not wrong though. Never buy a car from the West Mids or West Yorks according to the internet. Plus buying a cheap Range Rover as well... you might as well throw fireworks in your own face. 

22 minutes ago, Xela said:

Probably not wrong though. Never buy a car from the West Mids or West Yorks according to the internet. Plus buying a cheap Range Rover as well... you might as well throw fireworks in your own face. 

I never realised this was 'a Thing' until very recently. Watching one of Mat Armstrong's mate Chris Slix's videos he's made a few jokes at buying in Birmingham (he made a gag about it being very easy to get very cheap parts for every type of car in Birmingham, implying basically everything is stolen, and in another video stated one of his only criteria for buying a car was 'not from Birmingham' - which is all the more galling as they're all Leicester based), and then I've seen a few references to not buying cars from Brum.

Hearing you say West Yorkshire has the same rap makes me suspect there's a bit of a racist thing behind it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

I never realised this was 'a Thing' until very recently. Watching one of Mat Armstrong's mate Chris Slix's videos he's made a few jokes at buying in Birmingham (he made a gag about it being very easy to get very cheap parts for every type of car in Birmingham, implying basically everything is stolen, and in another video stated one of his only criteria for buying a car was 'not from Birmingham' - which is all the more galling as they're all Leicester based), and then I've seen a few references to not buying cars from Brum.

Hearing you say West Yorkshire has the same rap makes me suspect there's a bit of a racist thing behind it.

Sounds like Internet bullshit that becomes fact aligned to it being trendy to mock Birmingham at all times. 

How the fool can one gigantic city have a common homogeneous car selling culture.

And how can issues in Birmingham be any different to Glasgow or Liverpool or Sheffield or Manchester or Bristol.

Bristol Street Birmingham has a completely different outlook and operating procedures to Bristol Street Oxford. 

Such horseshit. 

Â