Peaky Blinders

AndyBM

the accents are a bit hit and miss, the commie bloke and the aunties are shit

what building did sam neill just go in to? looked like it was meant to be the town hall or BMAG or something but it wasn't

its good, not as cinematic as the previews made out and its a bit slow IMO

the accents are a bit hit and miss, the commie bloke and the aunties are shit

what building did sam neill just go in to? looked like it was meant to be the town hall or BMAG or something but it wasn't

its good, not as cinematic as the previews made out and its a bit slow IMO

Wasn't most of it shot in Leeds or somewhere like that because it is still as dilapidated as Brum was in 1919

• Like 1

Liverpool, its the only place in the country where those houses still exist (they are all empty and waiting to be demolished though) and the council would let them film

I don't think BCC have been overly kind to them, will no doubt change if the show is an international success

Knight, whose screenwriting credits included the critically acclaimed films Dirty Pretty Things and Eastern Promises, took Murphy – who plays gangland leader Tommy Shelby – to The Garrison, a Victorian pub in the south-east Birmingham neighbourhood where the writer grew up and where the real “Peaky Blinders” once ruled the streets. “Cillian listened to the way they talked and recorded everything and from that he has brilliantly developed Tommy’s way of talking which is back to the hard, fast Birmingham accent. It’s very intelligible and even an American will be able to understand it.”

Very good imo. I usually hate British dramas but this was very good. Was a slow episode but you can tell it is building up to be something quite brilliant. The brummie accents are awful though. Some chracters sounded scouse whilst others sounded more cockney.

• Like 1

Some chracters sounded scouse

Often the case with actors trying to put on a brummie accent, especially if they aren't very talented. I was amazed at the number of brummie scousers who worked at the Crossroads motel. The other trap they fall into is to do a Black Country accent rather than a brummie one. Much, much easier to pull off because it doesn't have any of the subtleties of inflection and cadence the brummie accent has.

Yeah, I know, subtlety and brummie accent don't generally appear in the same sentence but it's an odd one. It seems it is very hard for a non-brummie to hold it together for more than a few words before they lose it somewhere. So there you go, you brummie-accented folks. It's a totally sheeite, utterly bone accent but at least few can mock you for it via accurate mimicry. The good thing is it's usually possible to flip it around on anyone trying by scornfully enquiring whether that was supposed to be a brummie accent because it's the worst attempt you've ever heard. Follow that up with "I'm guessing your impersonation of German accent makes you sound like you are from New Delhi" and you've shut the word removed up for good with his pathetic attempts at accent mockery.

Â