The History Thread

maqroll

Great idea. I majored in history at university and love to discuss it with other sorts of people who aren't totally bored to death by it. I studied primarily antiquity and the early medieval in Europe and the Near East, but I love WWII (especially the Eastern Front) and plenty of other topics in modern and early-modern history.

WW2 is fascinating.   I'd love to be a bit more up to speed about the North and East African campaigns (which I believe were mostly just us stomping on Italy) though.  Anybody got any good links or videos?

• Like 1

I did history at university and mainly focused on modern history 1840 onwards. However, I lap everything up that's to do with WWII and the Cold War.

When I lived in Berlin I used to give walking tours for a company but I couldn't do the delivery very well so I took drunk on bar crawls.

I'm fascinated by WWI, especially the effect it had on our take on war, the art/writing that came out of it, and the utter inhumanity of trench warfare. The aftermath is just as fascinating - it was (coupled with Darwin) a major component in the West's abandoning of religion and of course it resulted in Paris in the 20s.

I also like ancient history (Greece, Rome)..

The 60s are great too, what with Vietnam, the Cold War, JFK, and all the social change.

Need to read more on all of the above.

I grew up in a house obsessed with WWII. There were airfix tanks and stacks of videotapes on the subject everywhere. It never really rubbed off on me. It always struck me as a war that was too big to really grasp.

I find the history of the Empire quite interesting. I watched a documentary on youtube a while ago about the end of the empire and giving independence back to countries. It's still amazing to imagine how much power Britain used to have.

I lived in the Solomon Islands as a kid in the late 70s. Our house was in Lengakiki Ridge which was one of the main Japanese lines in the battle for Guadalcanal. My dad was a keen gardener and was frequently pulling up bits of shrapnel and dug up an unexploded grenade once. I also found quite a bit of cool stuff playing in the bush including Japanese helmet with a bullet hole in it.

They had a special disposal squad in Honiara those days that would go around collecting live ordnance people found in their yards and blow it up in the bottom of a big pit.

That opening History channel video is so Amero-centric it makes it unwatchable for me. It starts in the very first scene

"... Britain is hanging on by a very thin thread..."

Erm no, no it wasn't, we'd already scuppered Hitler's invasion plans (in History Channel terms we'd won the Battle of Britain), he'd switched attention to Russia, we'd already beaten the Germans at Tobruk and were gaining an upper hand in the North African campaign and even later in early 1942 the Russians and the British had given the Germans two more huge defeats in Leningrad and El Alamein before the US got serious and without much help from America.

There is this idea that America entering the war saved the Allies from defeat, it simply isn't true and that video just seems to perpetuate that idea

http://www.dancarlin.com//disp.php?page=hharchive

Any excuse to link to this again. One of my favourite things on the internet. The most recent show is about the Spanish - American war and the United States subsequent rise to super power status.

The previous episode was about the German city of Munster following the reformation.

Before that there is a five part epic about the Mongol empire.

All of them are great.

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 1

Â