The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

I could swear we already had one of these, but a quick search yields no results.  Anywho, having only just realised that kingysilver's band had an EP out last year (that I totally forgot to look into until yesterday  :blush:) and having already been enjoying juanpabloangel18's musical endeavours for some time, I'm keen to have a listen to some more output from our VT brethren.  So I invite the creatively-inclined amongst you to hawk thyselves in this very thread.  All abilities/styles welcome, even if it's something as basic as recreating the works of The Wurzels through jug-blowing (I'm looking at you, Farmer Eames).

Never been in a band I play quite a few instruments and can get a tune out of most at least but I play for myself rather than other people, in fact I really dislike playing in front of other people I don't know why.

I used to go to the studio with a few of me mates when we were younger, we could do a few songs really **** well but then we just kind of got bored

• Like 1

I play guitar, bass, drums (though I'm not very good at drums), and sing a bit and have been in a couple of bands.

I was in a band with a few friends at uni who were music tech students so we wrote a few songs and recorded them as part of their course work. It's a lot of fun in a recording studio, good times.

Anyways, here's our myspace page from a fair few years ago if anyone's interested: http://www.myspace.com/kohoutekmusic.

We did a few songs, but the one that we spent the most time recording was Hiding from the Sun, probably our best track, though I'm not saying we were any good.

Oh, and the music is easy-going indie rock. We didn't spend a long time writing the songs since they were primarily written for my friend's university work as I said earlier. I played bass and lead guitar on these recordings, but didn't sing.

Edited by Ginko

https://soundcloud.com/memoryclinic

The Mrs brothers' band, Memory Clinic. Pretty damn good and off to a good start. Avoid the second track on the soundcloud page though, it's some pisstake they did and left it up there for some reason. It's all early Roses, psyche/shoegaze/indie stuff.

I spent most of yesterday redesigning, printing and burning new copies of their demo. Fun.

http://youtu.be/etZ-JVFjQoo

This was my band from 1972/73, recorded at ZELLA studios in Edgbaston IIRC.

Probably sounds dated (or just crap) to many VT'ers now.

We used to play at the Opposite Lock (now defunct I guess) in Gas Street on a Friday night.

The keyboard player in the band went on to fame and fortune in that he worked for Yamaha and helped develop the DX7.

• Like 2

I for one want to hear a leemond2008 album.

Do it or VT.

(I'm imagining some acoustic guitar, a bit of banjo and very, very angry lyrics. Like Eminem Unplugged)

Hwah you probably ain't far wrong there, even though I don't like eminem I recon that would be the style I would haveto go for to hide the fact I sound like a constipated duck when I sing...it would be that or I would sing with a Texan drawl.

Just tuned my banjo up I haven't touched it for a good long while

Bought this to get me back into playing a bit, and it's lovely for a "beginner"

41664_l.jpg

But two days ago I realised I LOVE this... and now want this instead, it is cheaper mind :)

gibson.jpg

So I'll probably try to sell the pacifica 112v natural to justify it :)

Late edit..

Actually I may get a vintage vs6...

Edited by b23avfc

We used to play at the Opposite Lock (now defunct I guess) in Gas Street on a Friday night.

The keyboard player in the band went on to fame and fortune in that he worked for Yamaha and helped develop the DX7.

Cool

Cool

Groovy, I like this. Sounds like Jethro Tull at the start.

Cool

Groovy, I like this. Sounds like Jethro Tull at the start.

Agreed. I'd probably sack the drummer though.

I sing in a covers band. We're awful and play music I hate. I have to learn Sweet Emotion by Monday evening. I'd rather eat my own face

Bought this to get me back into playing a bit, and it's lovely for a "beginner"

41664_l.jpg

But two days ago I realised I LOVE this... and now want this instead, it is cheaper mind :)

gibson.jpg

So I'll probably try to sell the pacifica 112v natural to justify it :)

Late edit..

Actually I may get a vintage vs6...

Fender FTW  B)

Our youngest son's first electric was a Pacifica, I don't think you'll find a better guitar for the money. It was that finish too. He had a Vintage SG not long after, a lovely looking guitar but nowhere near as good. 

He actually has quite a few guitars and basses now, I'm just waiting for him to post something on this thread seeing as he's a member.  :P

Hey Xann - thanks for that !  I had been told that it had been on Ebay but couldn't believe what it went for. It's value may have increased 'cos of Dave Bristows' status in music . The bugger of it is that I had a box of these years ago and chucked 'em !!! 

The bass player, Bob Boucher, is still in Brum and was offered £70 for as many as he had; but he only had one copy too.

We couldn't give the effin' things away when we were playing.

On a very slightly 'smutty' note; can I just say that The Opposite Lock' club, off Broad Street, used to be packed with classy snatch on a Friday night. 

You see, Veloman's record is the reason why nothing makes sense in the collectors industry. My missus just listened to part of your 40 min freakout (top stuff by the way, although not really my thing) and said, "I bet that record is worth a bit". Lo and behold...!

I remember reading about 2 years ago about a private press from some Scottish folk-psychers in about 1973. Poor guys must have worked their socks off to make the EP, nobody took that much interest, disbanded fairly promptly. Record now fetches £2000+.

The collectors collect what they want to collect!

Â