College sports - general chat

leviramsey

Don't watch much college sports, but got to see a bit of history tonight. Oregon scored a TD and had the extra point blocked. A Kansas State player picked up the ball but ran into his own endzone and was tackled before he got out - it resulted in a 1-point safety for Oregon, only the 2nd time a 1-point safety has happened!

• Like 1

From 92.3 The Fan in Cleveland:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport has posted the following on Twitter: BREAKING: Chip Kelly is close to a deal to become the #Browns coach, according to a source informed of his situation.

Florida is getting torn apart by Louisville. 24-3 still in the first half. My Louisville +14.5 ticket looks pretty good...

I never really thought Florida warranted a #3 ranking this season at all . They improved from last season for sure but there are at least another 6 teams I would have put ahead of them.

Notre Dame v. Alabama for the National Championship about to kickoff.

Who do you like? I'd like to see Notre Dame but I dont think its going to happen. Tell ya who I DO like is the linebacker from Notre Dame, Mantai Taeo. That guys a beast and would look great in a Browns uniform.

I taugh this kid for 3 years in middle school.

looks like he picked up a few tips form the old man.

And he's just been named the AT&T All-American of the Year.

(would have been amusing to have Margus Hunt or Bjoern Werner win that award, though...)

College coaching is a different skillset to NFL coaching, though.

College coaching is mostly of the British football management mold: the coach is in charge of everything. Convincing kids to come on board is arguably bigger than any X's and O's, and the NCAA transfer rules (if a player wants to change schools without dropping down a level, he's got to sit for a season) mean that the coach can be as dictatorial as say Fergie or Clough.

Pro coaching is mostly of the European director of football mold: someone else will handle signing players, making tactics the important thing. The players also have a lot more leverage: try to be a dictator and the stars will likely get you sacked.

Â