The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

I think so i.m.o.

He effectivley kept us in the league last year with numerous 0-0 draws i.e against Baggies, Sunderland Fulham etc.

I support Brad but 14 goals in 2 games! If Given was dropped for 3 against Everton then on paper a change in keeper now should not warrant thinking about.

Is this a joke? Yes I know he's shipped a fair few but the man's been our MOTM in virtually every game this season. Don't forget he has made world-class saves in the last two games and also stopped a penalty.

What I mean is we are very much lacking experience at the back. Ok Brads 28, but he's not played a lot of first team football. We have a former International keeper sat on the bench, who has not dissapointed at any club he has played for throughout his career. I think he could at least steady the ship with our defence for the time being.

Guzans confidence may be gone after shipping 12. Just gives him a breather if his heads gone.

Yeah because dropping him is going to do the world of good for his confidence.

What I mean is we are very much lacking experience at the back. Ok Brads 28, but he's not played a lot of first team football. We have a former International keeper sat on the bench, who has not dissapointed at any club he has played for throughout his career. I think he could at least steady the ship with our defence for the time being.

So basically we should just put Given back in because he has more experience? Guzan has been fine and has been the only player to come out of the last two games with any kind of dignity.

And how would Given be able to steady the defence? He doesn't even come off his line.

The 12 goal maulings can't be attributed to Guzan, in actuality he's about the only player to come out with any credit from those games.

I would genuinely fear that the scoresheet would have been worse with Given in goal.

I wish this was the cure for our defensive wows but its not our problems run way deeper than that and are not going to be so easily fixed. Guzan for me as arguably been our best player this season. We conceded 12 in the last two games but remarkably if it wasn't for him it could have been far more.

He has player of the season wrapped up.

It shows how piss poor of a team we actually are.

It's quite surprising as well considering I'm constantly told things are so much better this year.

In this thread? Or are you just bringing it up for no reason?

No way. The problem is the players in front of Guzan.

Just watched some analysis of our play before the Tottenham goals. It war so terrible.

Goal 1) First El Ahmadi just jogs without picking up players and not pressuring. Then there are five Villa players around two Tottenham (bad organisation) players and the ball is being played back to Naughton. Even though El Ahmadi is just near him, he is allowed to play a through ball to Defoe who is suddenly alone with Guzan. Lowton slept when the ball was passed.

Goal 2) First Benteke can play a 10 meter pass out to Ireland on the penalty area, but he misses with a couple of meters. Then Ciaran Clark has three good options: He can head or play the ball to three Villa players in good unmarked positions. He choose to head the ball straight forward right into the legs of a Tottenham player moving forward. Then Bennett has two good options: He can aither play the ball out for a throw in or play it back to Guzan. He tries a pass to the crowded middle of the defence, where we lose the ball and suddenly Bale is free vs Guzan.

Goal 3) Both Albrighton and El Ahmadi seems to have control over their player, but when he get the ball, they are suddenly behind him.

Sloppy defending all over the pitch.

Â