Scottish Independence

maqroll

Alex Salmond is a sad man. Prepare for two years of him highlighting the differences between us, just to feed his own bitterness. I shall continue to do what I always try to do, which is focus on what we have in common.

The debate will doubtless focus on who gets the most taxes or who generates the most, i.e. the differences between us. How about talking about how we're stronger together?

Just suppose he'd been born in the Balkans. Or Somalia. Or Nigeria. It's all about him and him establishing his own fiefdom.

If anything I think we English should be allowed a vote on whether or not we want Scotland to be a part of the Uk...

I believe that's about the only way that Salmond's wish would be granted.

I used to be fiercely behind Scottish independance but right now, I think it would be a mistake. Not sure how I'd feel if I was still living there but after 20+ years away, I'm short on detail for arguing one way or the other really. My instinct in that devolution max would be the best battle to fight for rather than total independance.

Aye, my initial reaction is I'd like to keep the union. But if truth be told, I couldnt care less whether five million people who live north of an imaginary line decide to stay in the UK or not. It wont affect my day to day life one bit. I think Scotland just about breaks even without the rest of the country (the 13 billion oil surplus does not happen every year) so economically it's neither here nor there. It would be funny if we charged them a tax on exports to England if they go independent though. :lol:

It'd be **** hilarious if it happened, they'd become a third world country over night.

Presumably they'd want to join the Euro so they could be like Ireland, Iceland and the Netherlands (I think this were the three countries Salmon was harping on about in the past), anyone think joining the Euro right now would be a good idea?

Do they have to buy back the debt that they'd owe us for RBS?

How long has North Sea Oil got left? It isn't that long iirc (production down to a third of its peak by 2020)

It's also hilarious that Cameron has offered them independence early and Salmond is going no no, we need longer than that blah blah blah, because he knows right now that it would be economic suicide, he wants to wait until the conditions are better. Anyone notice a huge slice of wanting his cake and eating it?

Personally I'm ambivalent to total Scottish independence but probably do favour a more devolved UK, I think the idea of total independence is sheer lunacy on their behalf.

let them go, i couldnt really care about them. every time i hear that salmon he just sounds like a bitter man

if dont wnat to be part of the united kingdom then go no-ones asking you stay. bicks raises a good point about cameron offering him independence early. shows that salmons a weasel

It's not like the conservatives will lose many votes if Scotland goes it alone so Cameron can't lose either way really

If they got independence the question would be who will invade them first for the oil us or America ....

Pretty much what Troon said. Although I'm different in that I was born and raised in England.

It's **** stupid, ill-thought, and pointless. As someone once said "there are no more countries, its only corporations"

I think they should go for it.

They are a country of similar size to Denmark but with oil revenues. I think they would be alright.

Would be interesting to see what happens though and if it was a success it would probably encourage Catalan and Basque to split from Spain and Belgium to split in half also.

With the EU government sitting on top anyway it doesn't matter so much how the countries within the EU are made up really.

I assume the Union flag would have to change and lose the blue part. I wonder if that meant Australia and other pacific nations would change theirs too?

Is it just a coincidence that Scottish independence is in the news, the same week as the Government in Westminster has stated, that we should all go two days a week where we don't drink alcohol?

It's not like the conservatives will lose many votes if Scotland goes it alone so Cameron can't lose either way really

If they got independence the question would be who will invade them first for the oil us or America ....

So the point is not what is good for the country but what is good for the Tory party?

It's a totally ludicrous idea and when I see English people saying ahh "let them go" it shows a complete ignorance as to what the impact would be, IMO. Where would it stop by the way, would Wales then no longer be part of the UK? What about Cornwall and Yorkshire, both have (albeit very small at the moment) groups who would like "independence" from Westminster.

Maybe a more crucial thing this is showing is the continued bias towards London for central funds is a key thing that the majority of the UK actually have a problem with. Going back to Tony's point though of course with a heartland of core support (as we are seeing with the train debate and Tarquin this and Quentin that objecting to the impact on the local hunt) it's in Cameron's interest to keep the SE bias pretty much in place and if possible to grow stronger.

Conservative and Unionist Party :-)

Â