Brad Guzan

R.Bear

For years in USA camp, they have considered Guzan excellent at distribution..... When he throws it. Watch the difference between his throws and his kicks.

I said on here last week. His distribution isn't great but he rarely gets any options from our defenders to go short.

When he gets the ball the fullbacks push up, whereas if you want to play it short you need them dropping wide as an option or drawing the strikers to open up the centre backs.

That doesn't happen for us.

Who's fault that is is up for debate. Is it guzan because he never keeps it short so they know there's no point. Is he told to kick it long by management? Do the fullbacks not want it?

Against Q.P.R., the ball was almost always rolled out to a defender and passed forward rather than hoofing.

I think this would suggest management tell him to take it long?

• 2 weeks later...

Some great saves and commanded the area well yesterday but his distribution is WOEFUL! Really needs to work on that. Never finding a player and slices it to the left. When we are struggling to keep possession as it is he needs to chip in.

Some great saves and commanded the area well yesterday but his distribution is WOEFUL! Really needs to work on that. Never finding a player and slices it to the left. When we are struggling to keep possession as it is he needs to chip in.

He does when he can.

I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago. His distribution isn't great, but he rarely gets an option to keep it short.

Last night Okore showed short quite a few times, and nearly every time Guzan used him.

I never see our other defenders do that.

• Like 4

Don't mind him aiming for Hutton if we think that's the best chance we've got of winning a header, what it don't like is him being half a yard from the touch line, like I said it's incredibly easy to defend, slightest nudge and it's going straight out, not a full head on it and it's going out

It's limiting the number of places huttons header can go and be a successful flick on, you might as well boot it straight down the middle and focus on the 2nd ball

Don't mind him aiming for Hutton if we think that's the best chance we've got of winning a header, what it don't like is him being half a yard from the touch line, like I said it's incredibly easy to defend, slightest nudge and it's going straight out, not a full head on it and it's going out

It's limiting the number of places huttons header can go and be a successful flick on, you might as well boot it straight down the middle and focus on the 2nd ball

I'm not saying it was a worthwhile tactic but three times in the second half he aimed it directly at Hutton so clearly something he'd been instructed to do.

I know his distribution isn't great, but I think if it was better then he would be playing for a better club IMO.

He commands his box well, comes for crosses, and is a great shot-stopper.

I can forgive his average kicking when he makes saves like the one against Mane on Monday night.

Â