Brad Guzan

R.Bear

Nah I don't. Look at the replay angles from behind each goal. He's unsighted, and there's quite a lot of swerve on the shot and it takes it right round Guzan. Not sure he could have done much else.

It was a very good goal to be fair to Austin.

Guzan is the last of our worries. 

Disagree. I'm going to make a radical suggestion - I think Brad should be dropped. I love Brad, he is one of my favorite players. But he has gone backwards this season. He's let in a number of very soft goals, his distribution is woeful, and frankly, I think he's just complacent because he knows he won't get dropped. I even think the rest of the defense is starting to lose a little confidence in him. Dropping him would send a big message, to him and to the rest of the team.

Unfortunately it would mean putting Given in goal and I'm not sure he's up to it anymore.

Disagree. I'm going to make a radical suggestion - I think Brad should be dropped. I love Brad, he is one of my favorite players. But he has gone backwards this season. He's let in a number of very soft goals, his distribution is woeful, and frankly, I think he's just complacent because he knows he won't get dropped. I even think the rest of the defense is starting to lose a little confidence in him. Dropping him would send a big message, to him and to the rest of the team.

Absolute, total and utter nonsense. 

IMO of course.

If we were replacing the entire team one by one, I genuinely think Guzan would be the last name on the list, apart from maybe Delph. He's made one mistake this season.

But I've said it before, VT has a history of being incredibly harsh on goalkeepers.

Yeah, and the 2nd.Only had the near post really to cover, wasn't close enough to it.

Mind you tbf, he has generally been pretty solid.

Ah that's always the difficult one for keepers. Them being 6ft + and having to reach down quickly to tip away a close range shot that's skimming along the ground. I don't see many keepers at all saving in that situation.

I missed the first half so haven't actually seen the first goal as I have no desire to see any highlights of this game. 

He made a very good one on one save against Vargas at 2-0.

Unfortunately it would mean putting Given in goal and I'm not sure he's up to it anymore.

You do know the alternative is Given right?

At least nowadays we look alright defending set pieces and high balls. With Given we'd go back to conceding at least one a game from corners.

Edited by VillaChris

I do agree that he has regressed during this calender year. For a long period he performed just about as well as any other keeper in the league but now, while he isn't doing anything that is horrendously poor, he isn't doing anything particularly well either. A bit 'meh' nowadays all in all.

However, he remains competent enough to keep his place and as has been pointed out above, when you consider the alternative is Shay Given then it's a very easy decision to keep in the team.

Edited by Isa

You do know the alternative is Given right?

He's had to put up with an epicly shite defence for three years. It's a wonder he has any confidence left. 

True enough that I haven't seen any 'wonder' saves out of him this season and there has been one f-up against Everton.... but the first real one????

But that save against QPR at home last year... pure magic. It was in I tell ya! and then Brad turned back time and dug it out. Un-be-leivable.

Edited by Shaw_nuff

I see people think Brad was a fault for the first - and even the second.

Funny that nobody remembers him stopping the 3rd. You know - the chance where our defense was caught flat-footed and it was a one-on-one situation that Brad read brilliantly and rushed their striker, blocking his attempt.

Brad is not where our problems lie.

• Like 1

I agree that brad is not our problem, but I thought he should have done better on the first.... In fact, I would bet he would say the same. He actually missed a similar shot sliced the exact opposite foot and side of goal in the las match for USA.

I see people think Brad was a fault for the first - and even the second.

Funny that nobody remembers him stopping the 3rd. You know - the chance where our defense was caught flat-footed and it was a one-on-one situation that Brad read brilliantly and rushed their striker, blocking his attempt.

Brad is not where our problems lie.

And he wasn't at fault for the first anyway. And CERTAINLY wasn't at fault for the second. It was a point blank shot that was rifled in.

Ludicrous to blame him for that.

I think people have a habit of watching a super slow motion replay and thinking "oh that was within his reach if he dived full stretch so he should have saved it!!!"

Doesn't work like that.

• Like 1

It was an excellent finish, that's for sure. 

On Guzan - I saw an interesting analysis this year that mapped a goalkeeper's saves against a number of 'expected saves', ie. how many shots from equivalent areas at equivalent speeds etc generally go in, compared to how many the keeper actually saves. I found a website discussing this, which I now sadly can't locate any more, but the gist of it was that Guzan is making the lowest percentage of expected saves of any regular starter in the Premier League. I wish I could find it again. I did find a page which shows that general save percentage is also very low, which can be found here:

"At the bottom centre of the chart there's a cluster of 3 keepers from the Premier League who should set alarm bells ringing for fans: Brad Guzan, Boaz Myhill and Tim Krul."

Mind you, other statto's seem to think that any figure based on save percentage is essentially worthless, as this guy argues:

". . . this is compelling evidence to ignore each and every analysis using goal keeper saves percentage."

So who knows. Having said that, Brad's distribution is also pretty poor, so that's not really an argument in favour. 

The major drawback with just looking at shots saved is that being a goalkeeper is about so much more than that.

Scott Carson was the best goalkeeper in the league the season before he came to Villa going by shots saved statistics.

Guzan is fine. Maybe he doesn't pull off worldies every week, but he's consistent, he commands his area, is comfortable coming for crosses and rarely makes big mistakes.

For where we are right now, Guzan is more than good enough

Â