Brad Guzan

R.Bear

Top man and Top goalkeeper.

.....and i have it on good authority ( he absolutely loves the club)...His passion for AVFC is there for all to see.

you don't have to be born in Birmingham to love the club.

all the old Ron Saunders players love AVFC.

....Bumped in to John Gidman leaving the Aston Social , (him coming in for a sports Forum with Ken McNaught)....played for Man U as well as us ( for the younger fans) loves AVFC.... great to see him recovered from his heart op.

Still don't really understand how he got so good. He looked really shaky against Blackburn in the cup a few years ago. Looked like a completely different player when he came in for the injured Given last season. Shame McLoser was too scared to keep him there.

That save is the save of the season. I bet he won't get it. It'll go to a standard parry by Joe Hart or Tim Howard.
But that should win it.

It's one of those saves that's good because it require two movements. If he'd just stuck his hand out and got his fingers to it, that would have still gone in. BUt he knew he had to get his hand there and scoop it as much as he could to give it the power to go wide of the goal. Not as good as that Seaman one vs Sheffield United years back, but the same concept. He not only had to get there, he had to make two movements to keep it out.

Exceptional save

On AMc, far be it form me to defend McLeish, but

1. I'm not convinced he let him go (to an extent)

and

2. I still think it was the right decision to bring Given back in aftr he'd missed a couple of games last season.

On the first point, I think Brad may have decided he wanted first team football, wasn't going to get it here and went to find it elsewhere. When he couldn't, he came back and took Villa's offer which had always been on the table, but there was no guarantee of first team football here.

I don't know that, it's just what I assumed had happened at the time. Obviously that's still letting him leave the club, a better offer may have kept him here. But I reckon there was always an offer ont he table, Brad just chose to not take it straight away and try his options elsewhere,

And on the second point, Given was keeping us in the league last season. When Guzan filled in he did fine, but he didn't put in the world class performances we've seen this season. If he had, then the right decision would have been to keep him in. BUt as it happened, I don't think dropping Given after he'd been injured for a couple of games owuld have been the right decision. It would have basically said "Don't get injured, or you're out"

Either way, thank goodness nobody else piced Brad up when he was released, and thank goodness Lambert had the balls to drop Given this season.

And please please Brad, don't leave us. EVER!

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Exceptional save

On AMc, far be it form me to defend McLeish, but

1. I'm not convinced he let him go (to an extent)

and

2. I still think it was the right decision to bring Given back in aftr he'd missed a couple of games last season.

On the first point, I think Brad may have decided he wanted first team football, wasn't going to get it here and went to find it elsewhere. When he couldn't, he came back and took Villa's offer which had always been on the table, but there was no guarantee of first team football here.

I don't know that, it's just what I assumed had happened at the time. Obviously that's still letting him leave the club, a better offer may have kept him here. But I reckon there was always an offer ont he table, Brad just chose to not take it straight away and try his options elsewhere,

And on the second point, Given was keeping us in the league last season. When Guzan filled in he did fine, but he didn't put in the world class performances we've seen this season. If he had, then the right decision would have been to keep him in. BUt as it happened, I don't think dropping Given after he'd been injured for a couple of games owuld have been the right decision. It would have basically said "Don't get injured, or you're out"

Either way, thank goodness nobody else piced Brad up when he was released, and thank goodness Lambert had the balls to drop Given this season.

That's how I took both situations.

American pundits on Fox Soccer are saying Guzan shouldn't be brought into the national team. They are advocating pulling Friedel out of retirement instead. They say this with straight faces WHILE SHOWING REPLAYS of his amazing saves v. QPR. Eric Wynalda is a tool. (For what it's worth, Friedel has stated unequivocally that he will only consider coming out of retirement if Guzan were to turn it down.)

Still don't really understand how he got so good. He looked really shaky against Blackburn in the cup a few years ago. Looked like a completely different player when he came in for the injured Given last season. Shame McLoser was too scared to keep him there.

the loan spell or two he had probably did him a lot of good to be honest

The more you see that save... jesus christ no goalkeeper in the world has any right to save that.

It was top drawer.

If i can be a little critical, though in a constructive way. I think he could of got down a bit earlier for their deflected goal, though i am being picky, and im pretty sure he will think the same when he analyses his performance.

On the other hand, a lot was made about them hitting the post, but for me, if it never, Guzan had it. What a save that would of been!

Like him a lot.

Gets across his line pretty quick, very agile, and he communicates with his defenders all the time. Has been let down a few times this season by those same defenders. Imagine what he would be like with beter defenders in front of him?

Worryingly for us, he was highly regarded before he came to us. He was on Manures books for a while, so in the eyes of a few, he is now proving the promise he had. I think we may have a problem holding on to him.

The more you see that save... jesus christ no goalkeeper in the world has any right to save that.

It was top drawer.

If i can be a little critical, though in a constructive way. I think he could of got down a bit earlier for their deflected goal, though i am being picky, and im pretty sure he will think the same when he analyses his performance.

I actually think the complete opposite.

The problem was that he went down too early.

He reacted to the initial hit, and the deflection from Vlaar meant it slowed down as well as bent round him.

I think if he'd stayed on his feet a split second more he'd have saved it. The problem was he'd already dived and then had to reach with his wrong hand and couldn't get there.

Loads of Americans commenting about the international game saying Guzan shouldn't be playing and Howard is so much better.

I suggest they watch the last 3 games we've played. (City, Reading, QPR) The saves he made against City were UNBELIEVABLE , pushing numerous shots away or onto the post. Reading was a good performance (Guzan can't really be blamed for the OG) and then QPR, his saves again were world class. Samba header and Samba curler through a crowded penalty box, along with Remy's long range strike. 

I would say Guzan has had a better season than Howard in terms of the number of outstanding saves he has had to make. 

Loads of Americans commenting about the international game saying Guzan shouldn't be playing and Howard is so much better.

Good, stay here in Birmingham Brad and rest up!

Â