Brad Guzan

R.Bear

Surely all keepers should just stand in the middle of the goal for free kicks, it's always risky leaving such a wide gap and hoping the wall will just block it. It was a great strike and he couldn't get across in time.

If they stand in the middle everyone would just smash the ball the other side and avoid the wall altogether. Keepers would be being beaten on 'their' side all the time and would be getting crucified on forums like this. You only have to look at the reaction when a keeper anticipates the shot and makes a slight movement then gets beaten on his side to see that
  • Like 2

As far as I could see the ball had to go over the wall for the goal. So it was positioned correctly.

Guzan's position was textbook. You don't stand in the middle of the goal for freekicks. You cover the side that the wall isn't.

If the ball went round the wall then you could argue Guzan was at fault. If it goes over then I'm not sure how.

I was right behind it, I didn't think the wall was off at all. It was a brilliant strike.

Blaming Amavi for fouling a player is ridiculous too. Shit happens.

I would suspect that those within the club would vehemently argue otherwise.

You can't affect the quality of a set piece, if they strike a good free kick there isn't that much a goal keeper can do.

However you can affect whether you give a free kick away, in a bad position. It is avoidable. Although it's not a heinous mistake.

As for the goal, I don't blame Guzan.

If our players never made errors in judgment, committed fouls or made mistakes then i'd question whether or not they were of this world.

Question obvious errors in judgment by all means but not stuff like the free kick yesterday. Surely you just have to hold your hands up there and say M'Vila has pulled one out of the bag.

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 2

I was right behind it, I didn't think the wall was off at all. It was a brilliant strike.

Blaming Amavi for fouling a player is ridiculous too. Shit happens.

I would suspect that those within the club would vehemently argue otherwise.

You can't affect the quality of a set piece, if they strike a good free kick there isn't that much a goal keeper can do.

However you can affect whether you give a free kick away, in a bad position. It is avoidable. Although it's not a heinous mistake.

As for the goal, I don't blame Guzan.

I agree. I worded it badly. Fouling somebody is not "good" but it is part and parcel of the game, as is giving the ball away from time to time. If it is persistent then yes it becomes a problem, but you can't have players afraid to make the challenge in a situation like that.

Amavi was beaten and then Guzan was beaten. Being beaten does not necessarily equate to having made a mistake, IMO.

• Like 1

Somebody actually blamed Guzan for the second goal too :crylaugh:

In the match thread? Yeah I noticed that as well.

Something along the lines of "Can Guzan save anything?!"

No in this thread actually.

Crazy. He's going to get blamed for everything now.

Like I said before. VT has turned. I don't think he'll ever win it back.

• Like 1

I think it's a bit much to say VT has turned. The palace goal criticism was justified and its only one or two who have been crazy enough to blame him for the 2nd goal.

After watching MOTD the free kick was better than I first thought but I still don't think the wall was great.

Â