Brad Guzan

R.Bear

I like Guzan he seems a good guy and he has been good for us in the past but football isnt about nostalgia. We need to get a keeper in thats an improvement if we can

• Like 1

He isn't top-ten because he doesn't get into the XI of any current top-ten side. Well maybe Palace, in that Speroni is mediocre too but then they overachieved to make it there.

Mignolet is better than Guzan - he just isn't good enough for a side aiming to be top-four regulars. Any non-bias observer knows that Fabianski has had an impressive season. Begovic has dipped for a considerable period but then he has been dropped now and will almost certainly be sold in the summer. Then you have keepers outside the top-half like Adrian, Pantilimon and Heaton that perform to a better standard too. I don't agree about Howard, he was complete dross for most of the season.

So in context, Guzan is just bang average at best and that's not good enough if we want to progress. It's true that there are bigger priority areas but ideally a new goalkeeper is signed and it seems likely that is exactly what Sherwood intends to do.

Even if you come to the conclusion that Guzan is "bang average", Aston Villa are 17th in the league.

Bang average is about as good as we can hope for at the moment.

And the main point I was making in all of this remains. Getting rid of our bang average goalkeeper to replace him with another bang average goalkeeper (Szczesny) would be like throwing money down the toilet.

(just to reiterate, I don't think guzan is bang average. He's not had a great season, but he's still a very good goalkeeper. Sadly, he's a better keeper than we are a football team. If he left us this summer he'd go to a club that finished higher than us)

• Like 3

Would he go to a club finishing higher than us though? 

On current form I would think only Everton or West Brom he would be good enough for as all other teams have had reliable keepers this season and wont sell

I rate Szczęsny quite highly myself. He just lets himself down with 'headrush' moments. His problem is overconfidence - he believes he is Neuer in dealing with certain situations and ends up looking stupid. Still has the attributes to be a very good keeper though.

Sadly, he's a better keeper than we are a football team. If he left us this summer he'd go to a club that finished higher than us

I'm absolutely certain that won't happen. If he leaves it'll be back to the MLS most likely.

Would he go to a club finishing higher than us though? 

On current form I would think only Everton or West Brom he would be good enough for as all other teams have had reliable keepers this season and wont sell

I think most teams in the Premier League will be happy with their goalkeepers for next term.

Also, I'd rather have Guzan in goal than Mignolet.

• Like 1

I rate Szczęsny quite highly myself. He just lets himself down with 'headrush' moments. His problem is overconfidence - he believes he is Neuer in dealing with certain situations and ends up looking stupid. Still has the attributes to be a very good keeper though.

Sadly, he's a better keeper than we are a football team. If he left us this summer he'd go to a club that finished higher than us

I'm absolutely certain that won't happen. If he leaves it'll be back to the MLS most likely.

Think we are in same thought process, for me Szczęsny has all the attributes to be a top keeper, something that Brad doesn't. As I've been saying Brad's footwork and kicking is a big reason why he'll just remain an average keeper.

If Guzan could've maintained his standard from his first season, then the shoddy distribution would've been offset but that increasingly looks like a one-off - I suspect spurred by being his first as a regular. He continued that for the opening part of last season but what we've seen since I suspect is his true standard. As you put it, there are few games where he ever makes a telling contribution anymore. In a word, nondescript.

Edited by Isa

He isn't top-ten because he doesn't get into the XI of any current top-ten side. Well maybe Palace, in that Speroni is mediocre too but then they overachieved to make it there.

Mignolet is better than Guzan - he just isn't good enough for a side aiming to be top-four regulars. Any non-bias observer knows that Fabianski has had an impressive season. Begovic has dipped for a considerable period but then he has been dropped now and will almost certainly be sold in the summer. Then you have keepers outside the top-half like Adrian, Pantilimon and Heaton that perform to a better standard too. I don't agree about Howard, he was complete dross for most of the season.

So in context, Guzan is just bang average at best and that's not good enough if we want to progress. It's true that there are bigger priority areas but ideally a new goalkeeper is signed and it seems likely that is exactly what Sherwood intends to do.

Even if you come to the conclusion that Guzan is "bang average", Aston Villa are 17th in the league.

Bang average is about as good as we can hope for at the moment.

And the main point I was making in all of this remains. Getting rid of our bang average goalkeeper to replace him with another bang average goalkeeper (Szczesny) would be like throwing money down the toilet.

(just to reiterate, I don't think guzan is bang average. He's not had a great season, but he's still a very good goalkeeper. Sadly, he's a better keeper than we are a football team. If he left us this summer he'd go to a club that finished higher than us)

Exactly like wot Steve said.

If Sherwood starts Jed Steer then I will definitely start to question his judgment. Guzan has been a steady goalkeeper for us and deserves to be playing.

If it's true that Jed Steer is cup tied then I'd definitely question Sherwoods judgement...

Has this been confirmed? If true who on earth will be our sub keeper on Saturday if Given dosen't make it, one of the kids from the youth team or would we be allowed to get an emergency loan in?

Hmm bit of a risk if Guzan saves a hard shot and injures something...

I think if Given fails a fitness test this week and with Siegerist also injured we have justifiable grounds to get in an emergency loan in, I'm pretty sure a team involved in the play offs last week did that when they suddenly lost their number one to injury.

Would make a brilliant quiz question in years to come if we actually win!

If he leaves it'll be back to the MLS most likely.

If he leaves, this is probably right on the money. Primarily because Klinsmann is showing a preference for MLS players in the national team.

I for one hope he doesn't leave, though.

He's about to enter the prime of his career.

There is absolutely no chance in hell he'll be going back to MLS.

I'll have a hefty wager with anyone who's willing to bet he'll be in MLS next season. No way is that going to happen.

Â