Brad Guzan

R.Bear

Cole scored one for Chelsea in the CL final against Man. United and probably scored in a few other shoot outs they had around that time so he's another I'd feel reasonably confident given he'd probably get his usual 5 minute sub run out.

I would say Gil aswell as generally Spanish and latin players have much better technique taking penalties than British players, they perfect the stop start approach that Benteke also does but not sure he'll play a part in the final. He's another option though.

Just out of interest, since this is the GUZAN thread, when was the last time he saved a penalty and how many has he let in this season?

Can't think just now.

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/stats?competition=1&season=2014&category=GOALKEEPING&team=0&sort=13

Is that saying that no goalkeeper has saved a penalty kick this season (from 34 games)?

• 3 weeks later...

I really don't want to say anything against Sherwood as without him we would have been down (imo) but honestly how can Given have taken The Gooses place?

Yes he hasn't had the best of seasons and his kicking has always been ropey but he's still the best keeper at the club by miles. To replace him with a better keeper is going to use up a lot of Sherwoods transfer budget which again imo is a waste of money.

In terms of his transfer budget i'd have no issues spending a chunk of it to get a better keeper than Guzan.

The only real starting position we need to spend on is LB.  Everything else will be making the squad stronger but we don't need to spend a fortune in other positions.  I'd like to target a new starting keeper for next season.

If Sherwood spends what little money we have on a keeper, Sherwood would be mad. Guzan was rightfully dropped for his mistake, but I think he should have drawn back in after that Everton match. Guzan is a top 10 keeper in this league. He is an excellent shot stopper, and he commands his box well. Guzan has never been scared of contact which is what you need in a quality keeper. Yes his distribution is poor, but this is something he can work on going forward. Guzan came to Villa Park as a keeper who stuck to his line, but slowly he turned into a keeper who challenges each cross and takes control of his defense. No reason his distribution can't improve over the off season as well. 

Edited by Czechlad

I agree. A number one keeper is far from a priority for me.

A young keeper would be fine, but I think money would be far FAR better spent elsewhere in the team.

• Like 1

I am actually intrigued by the selection next week now, if it's Given he starts the final no question.

Guzan being brought back in would give a strong hint to me he could well start the final aswell.

My head still tells me it will be Given but I'd prefer Guzan tbh.

I agree. A number one keeper is far from a priority for me.

A young keeper would be fine, but I think money would be far FAR better spent elsewhere in the team.

I would agree with this, but only if Guzan can reclaim his place. Given is not ok any more.

• Like 1

Why? its a dead rubber game and Steer hasnt played under Sherwood yet

It must be evaluation for next season, I agree.

I wanted Tim to play Brad so that he could play next week, but this decision leaves me to think that Given plays in the final. Which I don't like.

• Like 1

Brad is the best goalkeeper at the club by far. Playing Steer is a joke today. Guzan should have played to give Sherwood a selection headache next week for the final but it seems he'll go with Given.

Brad is the best goalkeeper at the club by far. Playing Steer is a joke today. Guzan should have played to give Sherwood a selection headache next week for the final but it seems he'll go with Given.

Its the first game Sherwood has had that isn't a cup game or a vital game for survival. Most teams play squad players at this stage if they haven't got anything to play for

• Like 1

Its the first game Sherwood has had that isn't a cup game or a vital game for survival. Most teams play squad players at this stage if they haven't got anything to play for

I know that can happen, but Guzan still should have started.

I really don't want to say anything against Sherwood as without him we would have been down (imo) but honestly how can Given have taken The Gooses place?

Yes he hasn't had the best of seasons and his kicking has always been ropey but he's still the best keeper at the club by miles. To replace him with a better keeper is going to use up a lot of Sherwoods transfer budget which again imo is a waste of money.

I do agree it could be a waste of budget and he's been instrumental keeping us up for a few years, but if you do stumble upon a quality keeper who has height I believe Guzan's place is in doubt.

It's not that I think he should be replaced it's just he has flaws, and while he has been one of the best keepers in the league it's a position where you can cope with great but change things with excellent, and generally for not much money. If I was Sherwood I wouldn't skip on a gem for the sake of steady.

Good to see Steer in today I thought he was another youth player to disappear, just a shame timing makes it seem that Guzan has been sidelined.

I am actually intrigued by the selection next week now, if it's Given he starts the final no question.

Guzan being brought back in would give a strong hint to me he could well start the final aswell.

My head still tells me it will be Given but I'd prefer Guzan tbh.

Well it was steer who is cup tied and given is injured so it looks like Guzan unless given recovers and sherwood brings him straight in!

Â