Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

Like any player who makes a full debut, he probably deserves his own thread....be interesting to hear the thoughts of the people who have watched him more regularly in the reserves over the years. Looked solid to me, any full back at times is going to get beaten once or twice vs N'Zogbia but on the whole, thought he coped pretty well.

looked an intelligent player. particularly impressed me with his aerial ability, nearly always found a team-mate when he went up for a header when you might have expected him to adopt an 'anywhere will do' philosophy, especially late on.

He was out of position alright. Especially in the second half.

But for a 19 year old on his premier league debut, and not playing in his preferred position iirc, he did very well.

Another fantastic product of the AVFC Academy :-D

He was out of position alright. Especially in the second half.

But for a 19 year old on his premier league debut, and not playing in his preferred position iirc, he did very well.

Another fantastic product of the AVFC Academy :-D

This. Looks a great CB prospect. Baker & Clark could be a good pairing for a few years to come I think. Villa and England (or Ireland??).

Good to see a manager with the balls to give them a chance....its the only way we will find out if they are good enough or in fact whether they will develop.

they have to get games in the first team.

Always thought him a better prospect than Clark at centre half because he is far more a traditional strong, big and robust defender where as Clark is a bit more of a footballer playing at the back, we've seen both the good and bad side of this so far this season. To be the type Clark is and hopes to be in future you have to be a very good player, if Baker came up against Andy Carroll, he wouldn't get battered around the park he'd probably have dispatched him into the lower tier of the stand!

Injuries have robbed him, we'll see if he can progress from here.

I was surprised to see Baker start at LB but when I put some thought to it , it was an astute move for several reasons.

First off GH is not afraid to give the young players a chance to play and show their stuff. I thought that Nathan put in a solid shift and played well considering he wasn't playing in his favourite position.

Second, with the Warnock's loss of form and with Clark racking up the yellow cards, it was good to give Clark a rest and get another player prepared to step in if Clark does get suspended at a critical point.

Third, I have to admit I like the idea of playing four Centre Backs across the back. Whether it is by design or merely circumstantial, it really bolsters the defence on set plays and makes our defence quite solid. Teams, like citeh at the weekend are going to find it hard to unlock this defence.

Fourth, Baker and Clark are our CB's for the future and getting them ready now makes a lot of sense. I think the presence of Baker and Clark will keep Dunne and Collins on their toes and the team as a whole is just stronger IMHO .

Meanwhile back on topic, Baker did well tonight, it was an encouraging performance and he should be feeling proud of what he accomplished. Well done NB.

Surely there will be a new 3.5 year deal on the table for him soon?

Looked a decent enough player to me last night. How many is that now, who have come from the reserves into first team footie this season? Gotta be at least 5 but maybe more? Fair play to Kev MacDonald for prepping them so well.

Did very well last night, I didnt catch the team news beforehand but I was surprised he was in. However he looked a lot more comfortable than Clark in that position and didnt commit any stupid fouls like Warnock. He'll be a good backup player for us in the coming years.

Its great to see so many good youngsters coming through. We must have the best yout setup in the league!

Â