XML signature

StefanAVFC

I need to do a signature in an XML format for my Polish criminal check for a job in education over here. However, the Polish government have decided to make it ridiculously difficult. It can't be a scan of your signature or a PDF. It has to be XML.

These are the instructions.

Download zip file to your local computer. Extract and sign xml file using software from your provider (required format - XAdES-BES external signature). Then send file with signature. The system will inform you if the signature is correct. Do not change the name of the signed file.

I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

For something that every day people need to do, they haven't half made it hard.

Sounds like you just need to follow the instructions.

I assume you have a link to get the zip file?

Right click, extract the contents.

Then you'll apparently need some bespoke signing software they provide (your provider) to sign it ( make a digital signature by hashing and encrypting it )

Then they want you to send the signed file, again I assume you have other instructions for how to send e.g. as an email attachment?

It's easy. To get you started just read up about digital signatures

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_signature#How_they_work

To create RSA signature keys, generate an RSA key pair containing a modulus N that is the product of two large primes, along with integers e and d such that e d  1 (mod φ(N)), where φ is the Euler phi-function. The signer's public key consists of N and e, and the signer's secret key contains d.

To sign a message m, the signer computes σ ≡ md (mod N). To verify, the receiver checks that σe ≡ m (mod N).

As noted earlier, this basic scheme is not very secure. To prevent attacks, one can first apply a cryptographic hash function to the message m and then apply the RSA algorithm described above to the result. This approach can be proven secure in the so-called random oracle model[clarification needed]. Most early signature schemes were of a similar type: they involve the use of a trapdoor permutation, such as the RSA function, or in the case of the Rabin signature scheme, computing square modulo composite n. A trapdoor permutation family is a family of permutations, specified by a parameter, that is easy to compute in the forward direction, but is difficult to compute in the reverse direction without already knowing the private key ("trapdoor"). Trapdoor permutations can be used for digital signature schemes, where computing the reverse direction with the secret key is required for signing, and computing the forward direction is used to verify signatures.

Â