US Road trip

StefanAVFC

Hi guys,

Anyone done a road trip across the states before?

I have plans but obviously not for a while yet. I just wanted some ideas of places to go.

I want to start in New York and end in Seattle but apart from that I'm open, except Montreal briefly (i know it's Canada)

That's a hell of a detour.  Would you not be better flying in to Montreal first, spending whatever time you want there and then flying to New York to start the road trip from there?  I'm doing something similar (but a lot shorter) in October except it's (fly in to) Toronto, (train down to) Hartford CT & (road trip to) Charles Town WV.

Ah OK well that's a bit different then.  The thing that makes it unnecessarily difficult (as far as we could find during our bit of research) is that you can't just rent a car in Canada and drop it off in the USA when you're done.  Which is why we're having to get the train across the border.  No problem leaving it between states though.  Right well I'll leave it there so.  I can't recommend anything other than Mile High Stadium.  Yeah boiii ;)pokey.gif

my advice would be don't drive it , it's a bloody big place and air travel is reasonable cheap so you'll get far more done ... lots of your journey will be A  ..... big loads of nothing  .... B

Trains are fairly shit in America , along the lines of if you miss one don't worry there will be another one alone in 24 hours but for some routes they do the job

I agree with BOF though start in Canada and then fly down to the US  ... the UK airlines will sell you an open jaw ticket so you'll be fine with coming home direct from the US without going back to Canada

The other year year we did

New York to Washington by train  ( I heard the poor people in Ethiopia are sending money to Baltimore it's so run down)

Washington then flew to Atlanta  - I still chuckle that Burger King called the Police because we didn't have a car and went through the drive through doing a play school impression of a man driving a car (ok i admit  i was rather drunk )

Atlanta flight to Memphis ( Elvis week , so we did the honourable thing and didn't go to Graceland ..Sun Studio tour was ace though )

Memphis train down to New Orleans ( imagine the stereotype of a man with a banjo on a porch and a broken pick-up truck and that's pretty much all there is between the 2 places

New Orleans flight to Vegas - Bourbon street baby  followed by Vegas baby

Vegas to Denver  ..picked up hire car and then drove around Golden / Mt Evans , driving around a mountain in an American houseboat is scary shit

Flew Denver to Philadelphia - yeah I did the Rocky pose on the steps

Philly to UK

was a  great trip , but bugger me was it expensive for beer and food

Edited by tonyh29

Ah OK well that's a bit different then.  The thing that makes it unnecessarily difficult (as far as we could find during our bit of research) is that you can't just rent a car in Canada and drop it off in the USA when you're done.  Which is why we're having to get the train across the border.  No problem leaving it between states though.  Right well I'll leave it there so.  I can't recommend anything other than Mile High Stadium.  Yeah boiii ;)pokey.gif

Denver is on the list because on my (very provisional) route, I go very close :D

Here it is.

143c5t.png

There's a whole lot of nothing in the middle there.  Would you not be better taking a left in Chicago and going towards Memphis and doing the middle bit closer to the South.  Taking in Texas, Arizona.  Can't imagine Nebraska & Iowa offer much, unless one of our American friends can put me right.

• Like 1

or you can fly Vegas to Denver with Spirit Airlines for about £40  ...ditto Denver to Chicago  .... and miss out the vast amounts of nothingness

Edited by tonyh29

There's a whole lot of nothing in the middle there.  Would you not be better taking a left in Chicago and going towards Memphis and doing the middle bit closer to the South.  Taking in Texas, Arizona.  Can't imagine Nebraska & Iowa offer much, unless one of our American friends can put me right.

This is why I'm asking. To get some more ideas/correct my shit ones :)

Going for a month hopefully.

• Like 1

Agree with bof as well tbh,

Though on your route I'd probably try to go to Yellowstone after denver then a drive to south utah and Arizona, then Vegas then San Diego and up the coast.

Depends what you want to see tbh

Edit: Yellowstone's a bit more north than I thought so maybe scratch that.

Edited by jjaacckk91

I did the same thing mate.  I've got loads of pics etc which I'm willing to share (I had a monster thread of my travels around the USA once on here but it's long gone :(.  Limpid: any chance of retrieving it?).  I did a loop around, starting off in New York (ending up in New York) but taking in Canada too on the way to Seattle and back round down the West coast, through the mid west and up the East Coast.  Bump me a PM if you want to remind me and I'll write something up and dig out pictures.  

You're best of skipping Iowa, Nebraska and Colorado I reckon and flying from Chicago straight to Vegas. From Vegas you can back track to Utah for a bit and check out Monument Valley - that in its self is a 6hr drive. (Come to think of it, it might make more sense to fly from Chicago to Denver and then travel onto Vegas taking monument valley in en-route - however I personally have no interest in visiting Denver so wouldn't have been bothered).

Definitely skip out Iowa and Nebraska - the only reason to go there would be so you can mark them off your scratch map (if you have one).

Edited by Tayls

For what it's worth, I had one of the best nights of my life in Teluride, Colorado.  

As for Monument Valley:

459451_154490641338729_1796970750_o.jpg

That's my tent in one of the most majestic places on Earth.  Nearby is the "Forrest Gump" road:

460365_154491171338676_1860951189_o.jpg

Yes, that's me.   Stefan, I have most things stored online (or I can post here) to hopefully help you figure it all out as I've covered a lot of the states. I don't want to flood the place on here but will help if I can :)

• Like 3

Â