Pre-match thread

NulliSecundus

Is it too early in the season to call it a must-win? Is a must-not-lose more accurate?

I imagine the fist seven on the team sheet will be:

Guzan

Bacuna

Richards

Clark

Amavi

Gana

Westwood

After that who knows?

Veretout, Grealish, Sinclair all played 120 mins yesterday and I would play them all again if they were fit and able. Same with Gil although I imagine as he was returning from injury last night he won't be risked as hastily. We also need a bit more balance in midfield.

Presuming Adama will be out via injury. Gestede in the middle up top.

Please just leave Gabby on the bench!

I don't think Bacuna is necessarily one of the first names on the sheet.  He was the weak link against Palace and depending on what Hutton did last night, he could get the nod.

For me it's the following, taking last night into account*.

Guzan

Hutton   Richards   Clark    Amavi

Westwood   Sanchez

Gana
           Grealish       Sinclair

Gestede

* by which I mean Sinclair's hat-trick

• Like 2

I don't think Bacuna is necessarily one of the first names on the sheet.  He was the weak link against Palace and depending on what Hutton did last night, he could get the nod.

Guzan

Westwood   Sanchez

Gana

Grealish       Sinclair

Gestede

Same team, but I'd put Gil if fit in Gana's position. Or, Adama if also fit and switch positions with Grealish.

Guzan

Westwood   Sanchez

Gana

Grealish       Sinclair

Gestede

Same players for me just with Westwood and Gana both playing either side of a deeper Sanchez. This is assuming Traore isnt fit.

I'd have both Grealish and Sinclair in completely "free" roles in terms of the grography of pitch I expect them to cover. Instructions to them would be to Jack "get on the ball as much as possible", to Sinclair "stretch the game and get yourself beyond Rudy when the moment is right".

Edited by villaglint

It's not 'must' win, it's  just WIN.  If we can't get 3 points from this game I fear for our season.

As above, but we want to get amongst them so I'd go for Bacuna ahead of Hutton.  I'd also consider starting Sinclair up top with Gil and Grealish either side and bring on Rudy to batter them when they're knackered from chasing shadows.

I was hoping Sunderland would roast Exeter last night - as despite them getting the win that they needed, there's plenty of sceptisism and negativity around them so far and so I can now see them coming and sitting behind the ball and trying to catch us on the break. Which is the best way to beat us at home unless you're one of the top teams. We need to go at these from the off. Gutted Traore is injured as this would've been ideal for his first Prem start. Gabby needs to be dropped and Sinclair thrown in his place.

Feels like a six-pointer. Get us the win please Tim!

Being at last nights game I would seriously consider partnering Sanchez at the back with Richards.

I've nothing against Clarke but watching Sanchez last night he gave a master class in how to defend with your head and was clam playing the ball out with his feet. As far as I could see he only misplaced 1 defensive header, apart from that every ball was played out from any danger with no hint of panic. If he has no reaction to playing 120 minutes then for me I'd have in the back line to allow a more offensive line-up in front.

If Adama doesn't recover I'd like to see:

----------------------Guzan-----------------------

Bacuna -- Ricahrds -- Sanchez -- Amavi    

--------------------Westwood--------------------- 

------------------Gana--Veretout-----------------

--------Grealish-------------------Sinclair--------

-----------------------Gestede---------------------    

If he is fit then:

----------------------Guzan-----------------------

Bacuna -- Ricahrds -- Sanchez -- Amavi     

--------------------Westwood--------------------- 

------------------Gana--Sinclair------------------

--------Adama------------------Grealish---------

-----------------------Gestede---------------------    

Edited by j19kjh

I was hoping Sunderland would roast Exeter last night - as despite them getting the win that they needed, there's plenty of sceptisism and negativity around them so far and so I can now see them coming and sitting behind the ball and trying to catch us on the break. Which is the best way to beat us at home unless you're one of the top teams. We need to go at these from the off. Gutted Traore is injured as this would've been ideal for his first Prem start. Gabby needs to be dropped and Sinclair thrown in his place.

Feels like a six-pointer. Get us the win please Tim!

Grealish is the key to solving that problem.  For years you could come to Villa, put the onus on us to break you down and we'd fail more often than not.  Now with Jack in the team you do that at your peril.  Sooner or later he'll penetrate you (hhnnnggghhh) and find a team-mate (most likely called Scott) in the box and your gameplan changes.

I think Sunderland will come here with a little more confidence after the Exeter game than they might have, so they'll hopefully park a slightly smaller bus.

• Like 1

Hopefully it will work in our favour that they played a very strong side (well, strong by their standards anyway) against Exeter last night (Pantilimon, Van Aanholt, Cattermole, Larsson, Rodwell, Matthews, O'Shea, Defoe, Graham, M'Vila, Coates) so there might be a few tired legs out there.

I'm going to be in Las vegas for this one. Maybe I won't be too drunk to watch this one, but I think the girlfriend would get mad if I dedicated 2 hours of our vacation time to watch a football match.

I'll make sure to put some money down on a Villa win!

I'm going to be in Las vegas for this one. Maybe I won't be too drunk to watch this one, but I think the girlfriend would get mad if I dedicated 2 hours of our vacation time to watch a football match.

I'll make sure to put some money down on a Villa win!

Put all your money on it. That'll keep her enthralled throughout.
  • Like 4

If Adama is fit, I would very much consider:

-------------------Guzan-------------------

Bacuna---Richards---Sanchez----Amavi

---------Gana-------------Westwood------

----------------Gil/Veretout-----------------

--Adama-------------------------Grealish--

------------------Sinclair--------------------

I'd feel quite comfortable with Sanchez coming into the defence as I'd like him in the team to reward his performances of late but don't think either of the other two deserve to miss out. Also feel like we need a quick centre forward that can latch on to balls and poach with our midfielders right now, and I don't think Gestede fills that role. The closest we have is Sinclair and he also deserves to play after last night, so why not.

---------------------------------Guzan----------------------------

Bacuna-----------Richards----------Clark------------Amavi

--------------------------------Sanchez--------------------------

--------------------Westwood---------Gueye------------------

Sinclair--------------------------------------------------Grealish

--------------------------------Gestede--------------------------

subs:Bunn,Baker,Hutton,Veretout,Gil,Agbonlahor,Ayew