NFL 2015

DCJonah

Ok, i'm looking for some of you informed NFL fans to help me out.  I want to get into NFL this season, I used to pay attention to it many years ago, so I understand the rules although probably can't appreciate the game as much as i'd like to.  My cousin moved to Houston a few years back and loves the Texans and after watching the first two episodes of Hard Knocks (and developing a man crush on J J Watts) I think they'll be my team, and i'll look out for the raiders as i had a soft spot for them when i was younger. 

Anyway I know a few of the big name players in the sport but could some of you more clued up fans tell me some players I probably won't know who I should look out for. Let me know which teams are the ones who should be challenging for the superbowl and which ones should be useless.  And any tips to help me appreciate the game more when I watch it.  What should I be looking out for on defence and that sort of thing.

Or if anyone can recommend any good websites that will do the same.

Thanks

We may not get on but I can help :)

First up, I'd browse NFL.com , reddit/r/nfl and the various subreddits. See which team's fans seem reasonable and catch up with stories.

Superbowl this year. 

Odds are looking like this.

Green Bay Packers 11/2

Seattle Seahawks 13/2

Indianapolis Colts 17/2

New England Patriots 17/2

Denver Broncos 15/1

Philadelphia Eagles 15/1

Dallas Cowboys 18/1

Baltimore Ravens 20/1

Useless ones

Jets

Bucs

Skins

Titans

Raiders

It's the Jags year this year.

Each of those teams have a different identity depending on what you want.

Packers - Well balanced across O and D but their Number 1 WR just went down for the year. Rodgers is the best QB in the league.

Seahawks - The best ;) . Dominating D and one of the best young QB's in the league in Russell Wilson and a beast in Lynch (my avatar) Lost the SB last year :(

Colts - Very, very strong passing game with Luck (the next GOAT) Not as good with the run.

Patriots - Brady. Out of 4 games at the start of the season but he's Brady and they're the Pats. Won the SB last year,

Broncos - Manning is on the decline but they have great individuals on D and a real weapon in Thomas.

Eagles - lol

Cowboys - Choked last year.

Ravens - Ask Dante.

The Texans are a strange team. Fantastic D but always seem to have drama in the O. Hoyer has been named their starting QB who is servicable but isn't anywhere near a Brady/Rodgers/Manning. JJ is a class act. Dominating player and a ridiculously nice guy.

Whoever you choose, welcome to the most exciting sport on the planet :)

Edited by StefanAVFC

Houston are in our (Jacksonville Jaguars) division (AFC South) So I probably see them a bit more than most on here . Obviously JJ Watt is probably the best defensive player in the league . He also lines up on offense now and then and is capable of a TD .  DeAndre Hopkins is a WR1 in most fantasy drafts.   Cecil Shorts is ex Jaguars and isn't that great . Arian Foster is a beast of a running back but is injured . Hoyer looks like he will start at QB but for me he will be the worst QB in the AFC South . They have also picked up Patriots legend Wilfork who is always fun to watch .

Best advice is to just watch absolutely every game you can.

Also, buy a couple of books if you want to understand in more depth (I'm currently reading 'take your eye off the ball').

Edited by Milfner

I'll just echo what others have said, in that its best to watch as much as you can. The Texans are one of the newest franchises (I think they might be the newest. It's either them or Carolina anyway), so that's pretty cool.

I'd also highly recommend in getting yourself an NFL GamePass subscription. It's costly but worth every penny. Games on demand and you can watch them condensed, meaning you can get through a full game in like 40 mins.

Edited by abdomlahor

Gamepass is £100 but you can get 10% off via quidco (don't bother getting the year round one, sky have blacked out the playoff and Superbowl matches).

Make use of Twitter too and follow some of the beat writers for the Texans and some national ones too.

Houston is like the Milton Keynes Dons of the NFL. But someone has to support them. Good luck, its a fun pastime no matter who you follow. Great sport for neutral fans too, weekly highlight shows are the best.

Looking forward to watching Texans on sky in the next hour. I take it pre season is like football, where a lot of players get a run out.

Yep, alot of 2nd string players, teams trying to tighten up, players tryjng not tk get hurt. Totally different vibe when games count. And an even grimmer vibe when the weather turns. I reallg start to watch when you can see players breath.

Â