My Stag Do - Budapest

Tayls

Soo, my best man and I have been debating stag do locations for a while now and we think we have agreed on somewhere. We have decided to go to Budapest.

Have we made the right choice, as it's not too late to change because we will be going May 2016. We haven't booked anything etc.

Any advice welcome

Budapest is great and isn't expensive so a great place for a stag. 

There's some solid advice in these two previous threads: http://www.villatalk.com/index.php/topic/7225-budapest-next-week/?hl=budapest and http://www.villatalk.com/index.php/topic/6272-budapest/?hl=budapest 

Edited by Milfner

check out one of the stag organiser companies to use for hotel & activities... they make a stag do in eastern europe so much easier - takes away all the hassle, the fear of ending up somewhere dodgy, the what to do and how to organise it.

I've used www.chillisauce.co.uk before and they were great.

But i'm sure there are lots of other companies as well.

No to stag do organising companies.

Why would you pay someone to take you to the same overrated, commercial bars and clubs that all the other stag do's go to? If a group of lads can't organise a decent night(s) out in Eastern Europe between you then there is something wrong!

All you need to do is a bit of research on-line before you go and jobs a good 'un  :)  Plus if you do end up in the dodgy situation then they make great stories! 

• Like 1

Why would you pay someone to take you to the same overrated, commercial bars and clubs that all the other stag do's go to? If a group of lads can't organise a decent night(s) out in Eastern Europe between you then there is something wrong!

All you need to do is a bit of research on-line before you go and jobs a good 'un :) Plus if you do end up in the dodgy situation then they make great stories!

Very much this ... Just use the interweb for a few ideas and then go it alone

And also no to "Stag Do" t-shirts with amusing nicknames and what not on the back of them

Just have a night down the pub and save some money.

To be fair I had my stag do in Sofia and am almost certain it was cheaper than going out for a weekend in England despite the flight and accommodation costs.

• 2 weeks later...

Because:

1) it makes organising the event easy

2) they ask you what sort of places you are looking for, so you don't have to end up in the same bars as all other stag do's.

3) you don't end up in the wrong part of town or the wrong bar

4) you get queue jump and guaranteed entrance to the very popular local places

5) no language problems

6) it gets you places - walking from one bar to another with 6-10 people can take half an hour to get everyone moving. The guide gets everyone going

Edited by ender4

Because:

1) it makes organising the event easy

2) they ask you what sort of places you are looking for, so you don't have to end up in the same bars as all other stag do's.

3) you don't end up in the wrong part of town or the wrong bar

4) you get queue jump and guaranteed entrance to the very popular local places

5) no language problems

6) it gets you places - walking from one bar to another with 6-10 people can take half an hour to get everyone moving. The guide gets everyone going

you forgot 7) they take you to bars where they get a cut :)

but seriously half the fun of travel  is turning up at places and not having a scooby about what to do or not understand a word anyone is saying to you ... yeah local knowledge is all well and good but you don't need to pay an organiser to find the Sir Lancelot or a place to get drunk in Budapest ... sure I can understand you don't want to be robbed of your money at gunpoint but that's also easy just avoid strip clubs in Budapest :)

but seriously half the fun of travel  is turning up at places and not having a scooby about what to do or not understand a word anyone is saying to you ... yeah local knowledge is all well and good but you don't need to pay an organiser to find the Sir Lancelot or a place to get drunk in Budapest ... sure I can understand you don't want to be robbed of your money at gunpoint but that's also easy just avoid strip clubs in Budapest :)

i totally agree that half the fun is going to random places and not having a clue whilst on holiday.

but its a different dynamic for a stag do.  its hard to do anything with a large group of pissed blokes who just want the next strip club or brothel.

I think he has a point though about bars and clubs, these kind of places wont let in a group of 10+ men without a guide

resturants yes you can just use trip advisor

reminds me of the other week when we'd been to the cricket and 4 of us tried to get into a pub at Waterloo for a few drinks before we got the train home

bouncer refused us entry and said we don't let groups in I  told him we weren't a group as we were only 4 and Take that , the Spice girls and Back street Boys all had 5 members  .. he chuckled and then let us in :)

In  the UK for sure they wont let large groups in but you really wont get that sort of problem in Europe , there they just want your money , I've been in large groups in dozens of countries and never had any problem  .. Hamburg on Friday and we shall be 9 , I'd be surprised if we have any issues .. mind you I don't frequent posh places and clubs so that may be part of the reason :)

• 5 weeks later...

I've just arrived in Budapest for a few weeks. Does anyone know anywhere that is likely to show the game against Bournemouth? I won't be free to watch the United game but hoping to catch the first one. I know New York (football factory) shows all 3pm kick offs so looking for somewhere similar!

I used to get a surprising amount of Villa games on Sport 2 when I lived out there , but I think they don't have a prem league license any more so don't show the games

you can try the following bars in Budapest

Champs Sports bar

John Bull Pub

or

Becketts ( it shut down in 2014 but word is it has re-opened again)

but to be honest they will be more likely to be showing the usual suspects

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

I used to get a surprising amount of Villa games on Sport 2 when I lived out there , but I think they don't have a prem league license any more so don't show the games

you can try the following bars in Budapest

Champs Sports bar

John Bull Pub

or

Becketts ( it shut down in 2014 but word is it has re-opened again)

but to be honest they will be more likely to be showing the usual suspects

I watched all the games at champs like tony suggested

They do amazing veal soup there as well (had it three times  :blush: )

Â