Player Fitness Levels

samjp26

Sherwood, who made a point that he wasn't trying to put down Lambert's work, basically just said our players aren't fit enough but their fitness levels are now improving.

We do often look very tired towards the end of games, we've all noticed it, could there be more to the rot than we thought?

He did a good job of not being critical of Lambert by insisting that he wants them to play a different way (ie higher tempo) and that the weren't quite fit enough to play that way.

not surprising considering lambert is a mon clone.as much as i hate terry he was right about us when he said we tired after 60-70 under mon.

I think that wins today's "Totally contrived and irrelevant reference to MON" prize quite early in the day!

Edited by briny_ear

I don't think a manager has ever gone into a club and not said ' the players aren't fit enough'

Saying that, i think in the case, it is very much true.

We always seem to be blowing around 65 minutes, then the last 10-20 we just seem physically and mentally shot. I have lost count how many goals we conceded just down to lapses of concentration. For me, that is fitness. The heads are gone.

I quite like how he said it too. He said something along the lines, every new manager says the players arnt fit enough, but that's because Lambert was trying something different. I need my players fitter for the type of football I want to play.

It's been clear, certainly for the last few months, Lambert had been obsessed with possession and shape. Sherwood wants to play with a higher tempo, and press higher up the pitch...which is what I've been calling for.

I don't think a manager has ever gone into a club and not said ' the players aren't fit enough'

Saying that, i think in the case, it is very much true.

This. Every manager says that when they take over but to be honest looking at the woeful condition of Bent and N'Zogbia it was clear that there wasn't a lot going on at the training ground from a fitness point of view. From watching us play you could see there wasn't a lot going on from a tactics point of view either. They must have just done 2 hours of passing sideways and backwards every day.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have thought for a long time that the players are just not as fit as other teams..There can not be another team who concede more goals in the last few minutes of games than us,which is down to fitness

Â