Dave Whelan Resigns

Guest av1

Dave Whelan has resigned from his position as chairman of Championship side Wigan Athletic.

The 78-year-old will stay as owner but his grandson, 23-year-old David Sharpe, will oversee the running of the club.

Whelan took over at Wigan in February 1995 and oversaw their rise from the fourth tier to the Premier League.

He was banned from football-related activity for six weeks and fined £50,000 in December for making racist comments after accepting an FA charge.

Whelan apologised but denied the remarks he made during a newspaper interview were racist and, prior to his punishment being announced, had stated that he would resign as Wigan chairman if he was "found guilty of being a racist".

The FA Disciplinary Commission said it was "satisfied" Whelan "is not a racist" and did not intend to cause offence by his comments.

Sharpe, who was appointed as a director in December, will be formally confirmed as Wigan chairman in the near future.

Whelan's reign as chairman ends with Wigan 23rd in the Championship and nine points from safety with 12 league games to play, but his impact on the club during his 20 years at the helm has largely been a success.

Wigan were bottom of the Fourth Division when Whelan purchased the club, but they won three promotions over the next decade to reach the top flight for the first time in their history.

Wigan chairman Whelan steps down http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/31711123

Edited by Guest

23 year old chairman of a club?

Oh dear.

He might follow Karen Brady's MO and fxxk half the team (allegedly)

23 year old chairman of a club?

Oh dear.

the funny thing is that if Vincent Tan or Cellino did that it would be uproar by the media but not Dave I broke my leg Whelan 

on another note, its still cringy 

ff9804699959797f70e3f319bc398d1d.png

Does this mean we will get another nauseating 30 minute tv show on sky where Jim White talks to him about how he broke his leg?

I think this happened on SSN this week where Jim White interviewed Whelan and asked him why he resigned. :puke:

Edited by villa89

Â