Match fitness

villanwesty88

I wonder if the team are 100% match fit? The dips in form of the likes of Benteke and Delph seems like more than just confidence. We seem to lose most 50/50 challenges too. 

Also we haven't scored many goals (I could end the sentence here) in the final 15 mins of a match (I can only seem to recall this happening v Blackpool/Bournemouth). 

We have spells in matches where we look relatively good, I thought for large parts of the first half v Stoke we looked the more likely. Then it seems to peter out. The energy levels seem to drop. I'd rather use 3 subs on 60 mins so that everyone can run their hearts out to press and chase everything. 

This is something I've wondered. Pochetino at Spurs play a high tempo game and it took a few months for the players to get the levels up to do it all match and now I think they've got the most points late on in games where as our scoring is awful for 90 min but particularly the last 30. Who is our fitness coach?

This is something I've wondered. Pochetino at Spurs play a high tempo game and it took a few months for the players to get the levels up to do it all match and now I think they've got the most points late on in games where as our scoring is awful for 90 min but particularly the last 30. Who is our fitness coach?

from avfc.co.uk site; http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/WhosWho

Manager

Assistant Manager

First Team Coach

First Team Goalkeeping Coach

Development Coach

Head of Sport and Exercise

Physiotherapist

Academy Manager

Head of Academy Coaching

Head of Education and Welfare

Player Liaison Officer

Joint Grounds Manager

Joint Grounds Manager 

Performance Analyst

Tim Sherwood 

Kevin MacDonald

Mark Robson

Tony Parks

Gordon Cowans

Roddy MacDonald

Alan Smith

Sean Kimberley

Tony McAndrew

Paul Brackwell

Lorna McClelland

Paul Mytton

Graeme Farmer 

Seamus Brady

Seems like we don't have an actual fitness coach but Roddy MacDonald is head of sport and exercise. He's been with us since 2012

I know its a standard excuse in football when a new manager comes in etc... however on Saturday it actually looked like they weren't fit enough. Slow to recover, slow to break, slow to winning a second ball, lack of footwork to adjust body position. 

I imagine the last weeks training with Lambert could hardly have been seen as hardcore. Its been said that the training under Sherwood is very intense and if true it showed on Saturday. Maybe as people have said it might need a bit of catching up with. The likes of Gil and Delph looked well out of shape against Stoke and didn't Cole get injured in training, though I know this don't say for much. he could have been running to the bog and picked up a calf injury.

I am not impressed with our fitness.

How many games a season do we finish the games really strongly? How many games have we scored in the final third of the game for example?

Part of it was down to negative tactics IMO but part of it may well be down to fitness.

Certainly should be reviewed.

I know its a standard excuse in football when a new manager comes in etc... however on Saturday it actually looked like they weren't fit enough. Slow to recover, slow to break, slow to winning a second ball, lack of footwork to adjust body position. 

Those things aren't just about fitness though - confidence and motivation also play a part there. 

I've just watched Sherwood on AVTV saying that the players need to train with the same intensity that they play. 

I think this is an incredibly stupid attitude that will see us tire out in the second half of games. It's not pre-season. Magath tried to do the same at Fulham last year - make them train intensely mid/late season when their natural levels aren't there - and when Saturday rolled around they invariably lost. I hope the same thing doesn't happen to us. 

• Like 1

I've just watched Sherwood on AVTV saying that the players need to train with the same intensity that they play. 

I think this is an incredibly stupid attitude that will see us tire out in the second half of games. It's not pre-season. Magath tried to do the same at Fulham last year - make them train intensely mid/late season when their natural levels aren't there - and when Saturday rolled around they invariably lost. I hope the same thing doesn't happen to us. 

I agree. Misguided idea. Of course, if he'd said the opposite, that might not sound too good, either. Did Magath actually do that at Fulham? I know he had a rep for that, but I had the sense that he had mellowed a bit with Fulham. The one manager you hear a lot about doing this is Wenger, and it didn't work there, just led to tons of injuries.

Edited by Shifted To Neutral

Could this be coming to fruition with most of our defenders being put injured this weekend? I know training looks more intense than it ever did under Lambert, but is it taking it's toll on our players?

Not sure about fitness but what was the last game we turned around after being 1-0 down (which always seems to be the case these days)? I can't remember.

Last time we scored a late goal? can't remember.

It probably is a fitness issue but maybe it's also a mental issue.

Â