20 Years Since Kung Fu Cantona

turnbull

Oh oui,. Today is the 20th anniversary of Eric Cantona's Kung Fu attack on a defenceless big mouthed cockney.

Therefore it's also 20 years since Bozzy flattened the defenceless dive bombing German, Herr Klinsmann.

What are your memories of that night's incidents?

I was at work that night, listening to the Villa Spuds game on a radio and even I could see that Bosnich didn't foul him.  ;)

Too young.

I understand the Cantona legacy but to me I've always felt he was overrated. Good league player but international competitions he didn't do much. 

Where would people rank him in terms of premier league imports like Bergkamp,Aguero, Zola Henry, Suarez etc?

I was at the Villa game. Got home, told my sister Bosnich had killed Klinsmann and it would be on the back page of every paper the next day. She told me she didn't think so and said perhaps I should check Teletext...

As for Cantona? Right man in the right place at the right time, he was the best player in a weak league but it was enough to elevate Manchester United to the top of the game. He wouldn't have got into the 99 or 2008 teams.

Edited by The_Rev

The Holte End singing the theme tune to the Dam Busters (while pretending to be aeroplanes). Not very politically correct, but very funny. Getting home and seeing what Cantona did was gob smacking.   

We had freak blizzard conditions in Yorkshire that day, and my normal half hour drive home took me six - SIX - hours (listening to the football commentary on the radio). I'm convinced I was the last car out of Bradford that night - ended up driving on virgin snow, with the outline of the roads completely disappeared.

Ironically, I went for a pub walk in the snow today with some mates, and I was telling them about that night. I had no idea at all that today was the 20th anniversary.

Too young.

I understand the Cantona legacy but to me I've always felt he was overrated. Good league player but international competitions he didn't do much.

Where would people rank him in terms of premier league imports like Bergkamp,Aguero, Zola Henry, Suarez etc?

He's the most overrated player going IMO he might have been 1st to the table with some of the flair and he sold papers and got sky wet so they all of course loved him

Did nothing for France or in the champions league, good player, probably the best player in the league at the time but certainly not world class or comparable to several that came after him

That said I think he also had what Ronaldo has now, for all his talent I find him incredibly unlikable, when I was 12 and you had the utd fans at school being horrible smug rocket polishers making it worse by emulating their favourite horrible smug rocket polisher it was overload, kids wearing utd shirts with the collar up running round playgrounds in kidderminster, i think he was when my real dislike of utd started too

I remember being on holiday in France during that era and reading a French footie mag with a big feature on Cantona, and fans' opinions of him. Most of them thought he was an utter tosser.

• Like 1

Sunday? Nope, it was on a Wednesday evening - see my 'snow' post above. You don't forget that sort of thing.

EDIT: Sorry, I see what you mean. 25th is a Sunday THIS year, fair enough.

Edited by mjmooney

The Bozzie / Klinsmann clash was my first ever night game. I still remember walking out through onto the terraces seeing the stadium all lit up. It was a magical sight and a feeling that will never leave me.

• Like 2

The Bozzie / Klinsmann clash was my first ever night game. I still remember walking out through onto the terraces seeing the stadium all lit up. It was a magical sight and a feeling that will never leave me.

Yeah, there's still something special about a night game, when the floodlights are on.

Like a lot of others I was a VP that night. I remember listening to the radio on the drive back home and they were all on about Cantona and his kick. I thought it couldn't be that bad... then I saw it on MOTD (or was it Sportsnight back then?!)

As for Cantona. while not one of the great Premier League players, he was very good and a talisman for Man Utd. He made them tick.

Too young.

In terms of international competitions, France failed to qualify for the World Cups in 90 and 94 and Cantona's time had passed when Euro 96 came round.. his place had gone to a young lad called Zidane. It was only Euro 92 he played in and he was poor, like the rest of the French team

Too young.

In terms of international competitions, France failed to qualify for the World Cups in 90 and 94 and Cantona's time had passed when Euro 96 came round.. his place had gone to a young lad called Zidane. It was only Euro 92 he played in and he was poor, like the rest of the French team

European cup/Champions league?

he was the best player in a weak league

Other than La Liga and Serie A, I can't think of a better league in the world at that time. Maybe the Bundesliga, but not by much. 

In the early to mid 1990s?  The best teams in the Dutch league were better than the best teams in the English league.  Italy, Spain, Germany too like you said.  The Premier League was much lower on quality back then and the players who dominated it, with a few exceptions, weren't as good as they are today. 

The Bozzie / Klinsmann clash was my first ever night game. I still remember walking out through onto the terraces seeing the stadium all lit up. It was a magical sight and a feeling that will never leave me.

Oddly enough mine too. I don't remember it being cold either, considering it was a January evening. Maybe that's the power of youthful abandon.

I do remember the hit though, very well. I also remember Kinsmann having a pop at Bosnich in the press a few days later whilst simultaneously defending Cantona. I remember thinking there must be some kind of rocket polishers union.

We won the game 1-0, Deano with a cracker.

Â