Is celebrating an away goal among home fans ever acceptable?

andykeenan

Don't matter what age they shouldn't be doing it so what's he expect. No sympathy at all lesson learned

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/11307931/Is-celebrating-an-away-goal-among-home-fans-ever-acceptable.html

A father claimed he and his two young sons were told to leave Villa's Family Stand for celebrating Man Utd's equaliser - but should they have been, asks Rob Bagchi?

Wondered how long it'd take you to post this one, Keeno!

It's a tricky one, for me. My instinct is to say the dad got what he deserved and he's lucky nobody smacked him one, but they're kids. So it's a bit easier to see the other side of it, compared to some lout jumping up when he's in the wrong stand. For all we know the parents were perfectly well behaved and in that context I don't want to go over-the-top on this particular incident because kids will get excited like that when there are goals, their mum is apparently a Villa fan and I wasn't there.

But they shouldn't have been there either and this is the wrong specific case to judge the wider issue on, because it's pretty niche really. Mum's a Villan, the kids aren't necessarily committed to any club and it is what it is. It's a shame we're being dragged through the press about it though.

However, the subject of away fans in the home end is much bigger than them and is worth discussing. The guy should have known all this and he's put his kids at risk of a spoiled afternoon and that's what they got.

Anyway, the whole away fans thing for me is a nasty side-effect of a game that's growing more plastic by the weekend, and the Billy Big Bollocks attitude of the fans of a small group of clubs who think their club is so big and important that they as individual fans are untouchable and won't get battered for doing something exceptionally arrogant.

Guess what: the size and temper of the home fans aren't defined by the size of a club. They won't always be the pushovers that the likes of United's away support think they'll be, for some reason. It's a stupid risk to take with your own safety and if they're that bloody stupid (again, not referring to this particular case) then they only have themselves to blame if they celebrate.

That's the very short version of something that's made me pretty **** angry.

Edited by ChrisVillan
  • Like 1

I don't have a problem with other fans sitting in the home end. I've done that on a few occasions for Villa away games but I had the respect not to brazenly cheer our goals, as difficult as that was.

• Like 1

Arrogant Dad thinking he has the right to take his Man Utd supporting children into the home end and not expect any repercussions when they celebrate. 

• Like 3

Nothing wrong with away fans in the home just so long as they keep their mouths shut. I actually went to the Spurs game with a couple of Spurs fans and to their credit they didn't say a word when Kane got that late winner. But yeah, celebrating amongst the home fans is never acceptable.

And what is it with United fans and being in the home end at VP? Seems to happen so much.

I'd like to hear the phone-in. It's tough shit really. Yes, his children are young but I agree with the current rules.

I've celebrated Villa goals in the home end of The Dell and Anfield. If I'd got booted out I'd have no grievance.

I buy a season ticket so that I can go to away games, I go to away games to build up a ticket history so I can get tickets to the games that are likely to sell out

I can't go sit and support my team in any part of the ground I want

Why should taking kids with me make that any different?

If he wants away tickets join the same procedures every other fan has to endure in order to get them, instead he's using the kids to hide the fact that he's an arm chair fan who can't purchase tickets through the official channels and thought he'd found a clever loop hole through the "family stand"

**** him, villa are bang on here

If you take your kids to football matches, you should teach them football etiqutte. My daughter learned the art of the supressed grin, the wink and the nudge in the ribs when in the 'wrong' end, from a very early age.

• Like 4

If you take your kids to football matches, you should teach them football etiqutte. My daughter learned the art of the supressed grin, the wink and the nudge in the ribs when in the 'wrong' end, from a very early age.

And I would imagine that's a principle you followed through in most every aspect of her life.

This isn't a story about a man being thrown out of the North Stand, it's a story about bad parenting.

• Like 3

I don't have a problem with other fans sitting in the home end. I've done that on a few occasions for Villa away games but I had the respect not to brazenly cheer our goals, as difficult as that was.

Yes- that basically the football rules isn't it? Apart from Fulham who have the neutral/away part 2 end. And lets not start on the egg chasing as that isn't a proper sport. London Wasps and all that.

In my mind if you're in the family end there shouldn't be a problem, it's only football and so we should be encouraging fan harmony especially in places designated for families.

When in the stands you see and hear some horrible things which in almost all circumstances goes unpunished, how many times have you looked back and thought, '**** moron, shut up and sit down', 'or moaned that these guys existed; these are our own fans.

If we're saying kids celebrating the opposition scoring in the family end is more of an offence than racism/horrible language/personal attacks then clearly football hasn't done much to improve its image.

I understand the other argument but Jimmy said it best, 'come on'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c7U5pyKh0E

• Like 1

Â