Kicking Towards the Holte ?

smetrov

We always like to kick towards the holte in the 2nd half - but sometimes we would loose the toss and have to kick toward the holte in the first half.....but nowadays we always, always kick towards the holte in the 2nd half ?......why is this ? - have we gotten really good at tossing the the coin ? - or has there been some rule change ?

A good christmas quiz question .......when was the last time we kicked towards the holte in the first half ? 

Since we moved the away fans to the corner of the Witton Lane, I'm not sure it matters anymore. Traditionally we kick towards the Holte in the second half, so I guess if our captain wins the toss, they're told to pick kicking towards the North in the first half.

When you win the toss, you no longer choose between taking kick off or an end. You only have the choice of which end you start. I guess most teams coming to VP don't care which end they are.

Do away teams automatically come out shooting towards the holte?

I think it's more a case of the opponents not being absolute rocket polishers than winning the coin toss. Having to switch ends before kick off annoys everyone involved and as the away fans aren't behind a goal anymore it probably doesn't make any difference which end they start in.

I think other teams kicked towards the Holte in the second half in the past because they knew it was what we would go for had we won the toss and it gave them an advantage because when we were pressing them (as once we did quite often in the 2nd half) we would not be doing so in front of the stand that contained most of our fans.

We now have fans behind both goals (although still in bigger numbers in The Holte) but I think the crucial issue is that we spend the second half mostly in our own half and seldom press teams in the second half as once we did during most of our home games. Given that and the lack of home wins of late I doubt away teams worry about us kicking towards the Holte any more and choose to kick towards their own fans in the 2nd half as we have lost the fear factor we once had over teams at Villa Park.

I think some local teams might still choose to kick to the Holte in the 2nd half to annoy us more than anything else but most of those teams do not play at Villa Park these days and those that do might not be using a two headed coin.   

• Like 1

I think the away team will automatically come out kicking against the Holte or were already out there kicking towards the North. The toss becomes irrelevant because even if the other teams win it changing around is just a big pain in the arse for everyone. Not sure what happened in the Swansea match maybe they were unaware of this unwritten rule and came out warming up towards the North.

Edited by supernova26

Â