Thinking of getting myself and iPad mini

Genie

Don't really need one but thought I might be nice have a blast on one. Don't know a huge amount about them but seems like the 2nd gen is the one to get as its a big improvement on the first and not much different to the 3rd.

Most places seem to have it at £239 so just waiting for a deal or good discount code to present itself.

Anyone got one who would recommend or advise against?

I realise there are probably better android tablets pound for pound but I've always had android phones and fancy something a bit different.

Missus and daughter has the 1st and 2nd gen. 1st is getting choppy and slow but the 2nd is a good piece of kit. I still dont like ios but thats a personal preference I guess. Did a factory reset after the ios8 debacle and things seams to have been fixed.

the iPad mini 2 is a super device, but as you say, there's better value to be had. I recommend the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0, should get it for a lot less than the iPad, and it's a fantastic tablet

I'd get the mini 2 if I were buying a tablet.   It was an amazing buy last year, highlighted by the fact that the mini 3 is the same machine with the fingerprint sensor added.  I don't think the 3 offers value simply because the 2 is so good. 

• Like 1

the iPad mini 2 is a super device, but as you say, there's better value to be had. I recommend the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0, should get it for a lot less than the iPad, and it's a fantastic tablet

My personal opinion is to stay away from anything Samsung related (exception: TV or fridge). 

I am getting an Ipad Mini next month. Looking forward to it.

why whats wrong with the samsung tablets?

Samsung's crap software overlaid over the OS underneath. It's not required because it takes valuable resources, looks naff and hardly anyone uses it.

• Like 3

Samsung have fired some top executives over the poor sales of the S5. The issue though is the same as with their tablets and thats the skin is just too much and it duplicates so many of the underlying OS features to try and get you to be reliant on Samsung rather than Google and I dont see them changing this.

Samsung have fired some top executives over the poor sales of the S5. The issue though is the same as with their tablets and thats the skin is just too much and it duplicates so many of the underlying OS features to try and get you to be reliant on Samsung rather than Google and I dont see them changing this.

You're probably completely correct, however I won't buy a Samsung until they stop doing this and I'll continue to advise others to do the same.

Any good deals available for mini 2? £239 seems to be the going rate.

I think the best deal around currently is this minus the £20 off technology code at Tesco. I'm patiently waiting for it to dip under £200

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so I didn't really need a tablet but fancied one to play with. I'm very familiar with Android so was also looking for a change from that too...

The result?

I went for the link 8 quad core 32gb 8" Windows 8.1 Tablet.

It has superb reviews and most places selling it about £99. Very.co.uk have £30 off for new customers so got it for just £69.

http://m.hotukdeals.com/deals/linx-8-tablet-32gb-windows-8-1-office-365-12-month-subscription-69-00-using-code-2084910

Quote from 1 review (euro gamer)

As it happens, to say we were impressed is an understatement. The truth is that the experience offered by our ultra-low budget device is exceptionally good to the point where even at its usual £80-£100 price-point, the Linx 8 is a highly compelling proposition. Initial impressions are certainly positive: removing the tablet from its packaging reveals a solid, well-built device that's light and easy to hold owing to a Nexus 7-style rubberised plastic rear. While screen resolution is limited to 1280x800, the lesser than stellar pixel count works fine on an eight-inch display, with a five-point multi-touch that feels slick and responsive.

Should have it on Saturday and looking forward to giving it a go

Â