Baseball Hot Stove

maqroll

I think we need to discuss the biggest contract in the history of sports that was just signed. Giancarlo Stanton stays with Miami for 13 years at $325 million.

And he gets a 5 month paid vacation every year. Not too shabby.

I thought we'd make a run at him, but no dice. The Marlins can keep enjoying last place, because they're only going to sign rookies and journeymen for the next 13 years.

13 years is insane, especially for a guy who just had his face cave in on him. Nobody is gonna touch him now for at least the next 8 years, and by then, a 5 year deal for what could then seem agreeable terms might work for a club who plays a power game (like Boston).

Edited by maqroll

Reports this morning saying Boston have signed Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval on 5 year deals. They say they expect Ramirez to be converted to a LF so Bogaerts can remain at SS. This would mean Cespedes will be traded for a pitcher. 

good to see john coming back home,always thought he would.were doing some good business.

Yeah, I thought it could vey well happen. But his agent might tell him to wait and see what the other offers look like, and there will be plenty. I would not be surprised if the Cubs swoop in with a ridiculous offer.

Is anyone going to give up a top SP for Cespedes, especially with him expiring? 

A team with strong pitching but a need for power and a good glove in the OF will trade for him.

would straight out like this post but reached my limit for the day

• Like 1

Is anyone going to give up a top SP for Cespedes, especially with him expiring? 

A team with strong pitching but a need for power and a good glove in the OF will trade for him.

would straight out like this post but reached my limit for the day

I'll remind you tomorrow.

The difference is, Lester is fit, whereas Sabathia was always going to break down, it was only a matter of when. He was too much of a fat slob who didn't take care of himself, and the Yankees let it slide. They all have to shave and have short haircuts, but it's all good if you weigh 300 pounds...

Seattle want Cespedes, apparently, so I would think if it happens, Iwakuma would be Boston bound, with us sending Seattle a prospect and maybe a cash sweetener. If Lester comes back, it will basically go down as getting Iwakuma for a prospect, a feather in Cherington's cap if it happens.

Â