Evening all,

I've been tempted to get back into making my own beer for quite some time now.  I used to do it quite often. I had kits for wine, spirits and ales (my uni days were the stuff of kings! I was a tad OCD about putting in the right amount of finnings etc, few more teaspoons of sugar for that right amount of kick and knowing when my plastic bottles were about to explode :)).  

Anyone do home brew (or thinking of getting into it)? I'm hoping to get some ale on the go once more in time for Christmas but know now that things have become slightly more expensive than that they once were!

Anyone got any tips? Good sites to order from who generally know their stuff?

I had a good long chat with a guy in the Brew Monkey shop in Cradley Heath a while ago but I'm looking for options.  If memory serves me right, I used to get all my stuff from the Art-of-Brewing website but wondering if there are others/better seeing as I haven't dabbled in it for 10 years.  

Ta! 

Edited by trekka

never done home brew but when I grew up it was normal for me to go into the bathroom for a piss and see 3 giant barrels of beer that me dad was doing.

I actually said a few years ago that I was thinking of doing it and me mom said she wouldn;t speak to me if I started on the home brew, apparently it nearly ended my mom n dads marriage.

40 pints for about £12 (if you buy the cheapo kits), then add in a bit more, erm, glucose etc and you've got rocket fuel if done right.  I can see why people are turned to it.

Personally, I want to start it again as a hobby (not just to get wasted on the cheap - admittedly, that was my plan for Christmas :D) and I'm even letting my old man look after it whilst away from Brum (he better not drink it all!) :)

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to use the kits where you just add water and sugar, Brewferms is worth a try.

They do an excellent dark ale called Oud Vlaams Bruin which unfortunately takes 3 months in the bottle to mature, and a good amber beer called Gallia which is ready quicker.

Â